[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] ISO 8473 vs IP

murayama@CS.UCL.AC.UK (Yuko Murayama) (09/07/87)

Could anyone let me know about the difference between ISO 8473
(protocol for providing the connectionless-mode network service)
and the DARPA IP?

Yuko Murayama
a Ph.D. student
Dept of Computer Science
University College London

tsuchiya@GATEWAY.MITRE.ORG (Paul Tsuchiya) (09/08/87)

The simple reply is that they are very similar functionally, but
different in terms of header format and all that.

I would be hard pressed to say what the important differences were
since that depends on ones priorities.  However, the ISO8473 address
is much bigger (up to 20 bytes vs. 4 for DoD IP).  I like the
partial source routing of ISO8473 because I am involved in routing.
However, that feature can bite you if you are not careful, and I
wouldn't be surprized if it never gets widely implemented.

If one consideres ICMP to part and parcel of DoD IP, then there are
a couple more differences.  ICMP has the Echo function, which ISO8473 does
not, and has the Redirect.  However, ISO9542 (the ES-IS routing protocol
for use with ISO8473) has the redirect function, so its tit for tat.

I will be interested to see what others perceive as the major
differences between the two.  I have never sat down and made a
blow by blow comparison.

	Paul Tsuchiya		tsuchiya@gateway.mitre.org
	The MITRE Corp.		tsuchiya@mitre-gateway.arpa

bhanji@GATEWAY.MITRE.ORG (09/08/87)

   Date:     Mon, 7 Sep 87 12:21:51 GMT-0:00
   From: Yuko Murayama <murayama@Cs.Ucl.AC.UK>

   Could anyone let me know about the difference between ISO 8473
   (protocol for providing the connectionless-mode network service)
   and the DARPA IP?

   Yuko Murayama
   a Ph.D. student
   Dept of Computer Science
   University College London

A document put out by the National Research Council in 1985 briefly
describes the differences between the DoD IP and ISO IP pp 18-24.
The report is mostly dedicated to the comparison between TCP and
TP4 but has a small section on the two IP comparison.
"Transport Protocols for Department of Defense Data Networks",
Report to the Department of Defense and the Bureau of Standards.
Committee on Computer-Computer Communication Protocols,
Board on Telecommunications and Computer Applications,
Commission on Engineering and Technical Systems, National Research
Council.
NATIONAL ACADEMY PRESS, Washington, D.C. February 1985.

Hope this is helpful.

Shiraz Bhanji.

hagens@JANEB.WISC.EDU (Robert Hagens) (09/08/87)

Comparison of DoD IP and ISO IP:

As Paul pointed out, functionally the same. Here are some other differences:

- No upper layer protocol ID in ISO8473.
- Headers in ISO8473 can be 255 octets (vs. 60 for DoD IP).
- Support of header parameters is optional in ISO8473, mandatory in DoD IP.
- Time to live in ISO8473 is 1/2 sec as opposed to 1 sec for DoD IP.
	(It will still end up being used as a hop count.)
- No timestamp parameter in ISO8473.
- Fixed part of ISO8473 header has odd byte aligned, 2 byte fields.
- DoD IP fragmentation is called segmentation in ISO. Identical function,
	however all ISO8473 optional parameters  are carried with fragment.
	(Called a derived PDU).

Only in ISO8473:
- Error Report PDU. Sent when a data PDU is discarded. Almost identical to
	data pdu except it contains the reason for discard. Data of error
	report PDU is header of discarded PDU. Error report contains
	ICMP functionality of destination unreachable, ttl expired and
	parameter problem.
- 'congestion experienced'. Set by a router, when a router
	experiences congestion.

The two biggest differences I see are the address part and lack of
upper layer proto id.

Rob Hagens
UW Madison Computer Science

tsuchiya@GATEWAY.MITRE.ORG (Paul Tsuchiya) (09/08/87)

> Comparison of DoD IP and ISO IP:
>
> As Paul pointed out, functionally the same. Here are some other differences:
>
> - No upper layer protocol ID in ISO8473...................
>
> The two biggest differences I see are the address part and lack of
> upper layer proto id.
>
> Rob Hagens
> UW Madison Computer Science

This is not to say that ISO8473 cannot distinguish between upper layer
protocols.  The address in ISO8473 is used to do the distinguishing
(the address is called the Network Service Access Point Address, which
defines the boundary between the transport thing and the network thing.
I don't want to get into what "thing" is).

Practically speaking, one reserves a byte (sorry, octet) in the NSAP
address, usually called the NSAP selector, to do the job of the
protocol id field in DoD IP.  Boils down to the same thing as far as
I can tell.

(I'm wondering if it is kosher to use the NSAP selector byte to
distinguish between different transport classes (TP0, TP1, ...., TP4).
Something tells me it isn't, but I don't see how someone could stop you.
I'll have to bring that up at the next 3.3 meeting).

	Paul Tsuchiya		tsuchiya@gateway.mitre.org
	The MITRE Corp.		tsuchiya@mitre-gateway.arpa

tsuchiya@gateway.mitre.ORG (Paul Tsuchiya) (09/08/87)

> From: "Marty Schoffstall" <schoff@nic.nyser.net>
>

>     - 'congestion experienced'. Set by a router, when a router
>     	experiences congestion.
>
> The infamous "DEC Bit", which reports to the recipient of the packet
> that there is congestion.  This bit has debatable merit, would the
> two camps like to expound?
>
> Marty

Ok, I'll bite.

The DEC bit is used, at least in DECNET (phase 4 or 5, I don't know)
to control the transport window such that the network doesn't get
congested.  It is a "congestion avoidance" mechanism.  As far as I
know, the algorithm assumes it knows the round trip time.  I don't
know if DEC measures this or assumes a value.  (I understand the
problems associated with trying to measure it.)  The algorithm
seems to be a good one, and works as long as all of the parts are
there and everyone participates.  (Please, someone from DEC correct
me if I have this screwed up).

DEC has released there algorithm for doing this (until recently, it
was proprietary).  In their IS-IS routing proposal, they have said
when to set the bit.  I am not sure how or if they intend to standardize
the part that tells the transport machine what to do.  I suppose this
could be done right in ISO, or in one of the profile organizations like
COS.

Tsuchiya

PS.  We may be in two camps, but lets face it:  if it rains, all of
our campfires are going to go out.

schoff@NIC.NYSER.NET ("Marty Schoffstall") (09/08/87)

    - 'congestion experienced'. Set by a router, when a router
    	experiences congestion.

The infamous "DEC Bit", which reports to the recipient of the packet
that there is congestion.  This bit has debatable merit, would the
two camps like to expound?

Marty

carrs@TROUT.NOSC.MIL (Stephen M. Carr) (09/09/87)

-------
Ref:  (a) National Research Council, "Transport Protocols for
          Department of Defense Data Networks", RFC942, National
          Academy Press, Washington, D.C., February 1985

Yuko,

1.  Reference (a) document which Shiraz Bhanji referred to is
online at sri-nic.arpa.  The path name is <RFC>RFC942.TXT.  So if
you have FTP capability, you can download it.  It is in excess of
217,000 bytes.

2.  I am assuming that you don't have FTP capability from your
host into the ARPANET/MILNET.  Therefore, if you would like, I or
one of your colleagues could try to forward it to you via SMTP.

3.  Here is a list of other recent RFCs which might interest you
on related subjects.  All of these documents are online in the
same directory.

                             RFC INDEX
(RFC1008)
                   Jun 87    (McCoy)       Implementation Guide for the ISO
   Transport Protocol
(RFC1007)          Jun 87    (McCoy)       Military Supplement to the ISO
   Transport Protocol
(RFC1006)
                   May 87    (Rose)        ISO Transport Services on top
   of the TCP  Version:3  (Obsoletes RFC 983)
(RFC995)
                   Jan 87    (ANSIx353.3)  End System to Intermediate System
   Routing Exchange Protocol for use in conjunction with ISO 8473
(RFC994)
                   Jan 87    (ANSIx353.3)  Final Text of DIS 8473, Protocol
   for Providing the Connectionless Mode Network Service (Obsoletes RFC 926)
(RFC962)
   ...             Nov 85    (Padlipsky)   TCP-4 Prime
(RFC945)
   ...             Apr 85    (Postel)      DOD Statement on NRC Report
(RFC942)
   ...             Mar 85    (NRC)         Transport Protocols for Department
   of Defense Data Networks
(RFC939)
   ...             Feb 85    (NRC)         Executive Summary of the NRC Report
   on Transport Protocols for Department of Defense Data Networks
(RFC905)
   ...             Apr 84    (ISO)         ISO Transport Protocol Specification
   (ISO DP 8073) (Obsoletes RFC 892)

4.  I hope this is of some help.

                           Steve Carr
                          LCDR, SC, USN

Navy Management Systems Support Office (Code 33C)
Naval Air Station
Norfolk, Virginia 23511-6694

DDN:  carrs@trout.nosc.mil
DDN:  navmasso30tc@nardacva.arpa
-------

Mills@UDEL.EDU (09/09/87)

Marty,

The "congestion experienced" bit has to be a good idea, since it has been
suggested repeatedly by Jack Haverty (name one) and several others at BBN
for darn near ten years. So, let's do it. We need to swipe a bit from the
IP header. Any suggestions on which one? That bit decided, give me ten
seconds and the fuzzballs will concur in the madness...

Dave

CERF@A.ISI.EDU (09/09/87)

RE: DEC Bit (Congestion Experienced)

When I talked with Tony Lauck about this notion, the idea was
that you could tell the receiving party "sooner" than the sending party
about this congestion problem and that the receiving party might use
the window mechanism to reduce the sender's ambition level until the
congestion had died away. The sender probably needs to know about
the congestion explicitly, too, if there is any option for re-routing
the traffic from the origin via an alternate path which is less
congested.

It would be helpful to hear from Digital about their experiences with
the dynamics of their DECNET with and without the use of this signal.

Vint

schoff@NIC.NYSER.NET ("Marty Schoffstall") (09/09/87)

    The "congestion experienced" bit has to be a good idea, since it has been
    suggested repeatedly by Jack Haverty (name one) and several others at BBN
    for darn near ten years. So, let's do it. We need to swipe a bit from the
    IP header. Any suggestions on which one? That bit decided, give me ten
    seconds and the fuzzballs will concur in the madness...

Dave, I don't know how to take the above message.  I don't believe I have
a fully-formed opinion on this due to the fact that I have
not seen the DEC "paper" however
I have some philosophical questions about this in the ISO stack:

	Isn't this mechanism  a bit indirect?  Does anyone have some
		thoughts about latency in a live ISO INTERNET?.
		Your transmitter is hosing the net, Mr. Gateway
		(whoops IS), 4 PDN's away determines there is
		congestion toggles the bit and we arrive at
		the receiver.  The receiver then takes this
		Layer3 information exports it to the Layer4
		machine who does something bright with it
		like communicating with the transmitter Layer4.
		[ My recollection of this is that Layer4 had
			to be TP4, ie this wasn't going to
			be effective for other transports.]

This mechanism seems right for at least experimental use in the DOD INTERNET,
a small alteration of a mature operational protocol.   However, it looks
like a hack in the ISO stack if the ISO stack is supposed to have been
an improvement on what we've learned in the last 10 years....

Dave, how do you feel this should affect the TCP if implemented in the
DOD stack?

Marty

schoff@NIC.NYSER.NET ("Marty Schoffstall") (09/09/87)

This paragraph isn't clear to me....

    The algorithm doesn't work quite like that.  In fact, the bit is
    set roughly half the time, and all it takes is one packet in the
    queue to set the bit.  Setting it half the time has the result of getting

whose queue?

    the most information out of it (information theory).  So it is not
    like there is a problem and then the bit is set to relieve the problem.

What is the algorithm for setting the bit then?  When everything is fine?

    Instead, the bit is continuously set to achieve a smooth and appropriate
    flow of data into the net.  I.e., we neven (hopefully) reach the point
    where a transmitter is hosing the net in the first place.

tsuchiya@gateway.mitre.ORG (Paul Tsuchiya) (09/09/87)

After all of this talking about the DEC scheme, I bloody well hope that
DEC gives me a good job offer.

I didn't want to get into details over the air.  I have the breifing
slides from a presentation given at the IETF in Boston last (I think
it was) April.  They are fairly self explanatory.

Mainly, I wanted to dispel this notion that congestion control should
occur when there is congestion.  It should actually occur before there
is congestion, and that is what the DEC algorithm does.

The bit is set by gateways, and they set it whenever they have one
packet in the queue.  I believe this does not mean one packet per
source/destination pair or anything like that, simply one packet.
The bit is set in the queued packet, which means that the host
receiving the set bit is not the one that sent the packet, but the
one on the other end.  However, that one tells the sending one to
shrink its window via the normal method, and this is how the
congestion information gets back to the sending host.

Of course, the hosts have an algorithm they use to know how to
adjust the flow.  Basically, the window is increased additively
and decreased multiplicatively.  Also, the hosts filter by considering
x number of previous bits.

Again, an appeal to DEC people:  please correct me if I have
over-simplified, misrepresented, or in any other way screwed
this up.

	Paul Tsuchiya		tsuchiya@gateway.mitre.org
	The MITRE Corp.		tsuchiya@mitre-gateway.arpa

malis@CC5.BBN.COM (Andy Malis) (09/09/87)

Paul, Vint, or whoever else can help,

Is there a reference available for a description of this DECNET
congestion control mechanism, now that it is no longer proprietary?

Thanks,
Andy

Mills@UDEL.EDU (09/09/87)

Marty,

My remarks should be interpreted with respect to the DARPA context, where
I have some idea of what TCP and other bangers might do with it (infer
source quench). Yes, is is true that the receiver, not the transmitter,
sees the bit; however, our experience has been that the resources being
starved are usually the buffer pool, which means the bit would probably be
set on either direction at substantially the same frequency. It works
either way, since either or both the transmitter or receiver can crank
back the window size.

I do not want to speculate on the latency of an ISO internet, except to
suggest that it will probably be similar to the DARPA internet, whatever
that evolves to.

Dave

lekash@ORVILLE.ARPA (John Lekashman) (09/10/87)

One of the two unused bits in the type of service field.  I vote
for the end bit.  This has something to do with the class
of service experienced, rather than desired, but thats ok.  Maybe
the other bit can be set on ack's to indicate congestion
experienced on the packet(s) this is an ack for.  (After all, its
got to get back to the sender somehow.  reduced offered window
is one way, an explicit bit's another.)
					john

schoff@NIC.NYSER.NET ("Marty Schoffstall") (09/10/87)

    My remarks should be interpreted with respect to the DARPA context, where
    I have some idea of what TCP and other bangers might do with it (infer
    source quench). Yes, is is true that the receiver, not the transmitter,
    sees the bit; however, our experience has been that the resources being
    starved are usually the buffer pool, which means the bit would probably be
    set on either direction at substantially the same frequency. It works
    either way, since either or both the transmitter or receiver can crank
    back the window size.

Are you then suggesting a "future DOD INTERNET gateway" should implement
this as an option and upon determining "congestion" set the bit for
the receiver and source quench the transmitter?

Still in the DOD context do you feel that a single queued datagram
should set the bit?  With our gateways living on the LAN/WAN interface
and the current state of our implementations wouldn't the bit always
end up being set?  (And therefore useless to us as a signpost?)

Marty

PS:  To further the state of the art of Mills'isms: philosophically
	if I'm in the swamp with my loaded double barrel shotgun, I'm
	probably not going to call for help until I see the THIRD
	alligator.  DEC seems to be pushing for the sighting of
	the first alligator.

CERF@A.ISI.EDU (09/10/87)

What we need is a high capacity, low cost hose to hose  protocol...

Vint

CERF@A.ISI.EDU (09/10/87)

Andy,

Tony Lauck, DEC's chief protocol architect, or John Zornig, also at DEC,
could probably point you at anything not proprietary. I believe that
they've entered recommendations into the ISO forum in this area so the
concepts are probably quite open. I don't have John's or Tony's network
mailbox IDs readily handy (oh, for a good white pages!), but perhaps
someone on TCP-IP can help, or Tony or John may be reading these
messages.

Vint

Mills@UDEL.EDU (09/10/87)

Marty,

I'm not sure a headlong leap on the DEC bit would be appropriate for
the existing IP gateway munchkins, but something like this has been
proposed to indicate "congestion experienced." The particular
method used to determine when gateway has too much kin to munch may
depend on the gateway queueing discipline, preemption policy and
whether the interfaces are blocking or not, etc. If I understand
the DEC bit, the bit is set on a packet that arrives for a queue
with at least one packet already queued. Now, from queueing theory,
we can compute for each level of traffic the probability that the
queue has n customers for each n. A clever end system can then work
this backwards to estimate (crudely!) the level of traffic when the
bit is set. It's a nice idea and should be tried in an experiment.
However, there are lots of other ideas that should be tried, too.

Dave

swb@TCGOULD.TN.CORNELL.EDU (Scott Brim) (09/10/87)

LiXia has said that she believes the DEC congestion bit approach is
too simple for the real world.  Is she available for comment?
						Scott

malis@CC5.BBN.COM (Andy Malis) (09/10/87)

Vint,

Thanks much.  I just got hold of "A Timeout-Based Congestion
Control Scheme for Window Flow-Controlled Networks," by Raj Jain
of DEC (IEEE J. on Selected Areas in Communications, Vol. SAC-4,
no. 7, Oct. 86).  It discusses many of these issues, and suggests
an algorithm to adjust window sizes based upon congestion
indications, although it uses retransmission timeouts to provide
the congestion indication rather than a congestion bit in the
packet header.

Andy

PADLIPSKY@A.ISI.EDU (Michael Padlipsky) (09/10/87)

My initial impulse was to respond to the call for a hose to hose
protocol with a private message saying "Nozzle yourself, Vinton: you
really shouldn't faucet like that."  Then I made the mistake of thinking
a bit about what hose to hose protocols would actually be like, and I
realized that there's a fairly powerful metaphor lurking there.  Think
about it: if you have two garden hoses, all you need is a suitably
threaded (presumably "female-female") adaptor, even if the threads on
each of the hoses "aren't standard".  The worst that would happen is that
you'd discover nobody made appropriate adaptors and it would be cheaper
to buy a longer hose (which, with any luck at all, was thread compatible
with the faucet) than to have someone fabricate the special widget.
(Please recall I've always spoken well of physical standards, b/t/w.)
But if you want to couple a fire hose and a garden hose, you'd need to
call in a fluid dynamicist to calculate how long the taper had to be so
as not to lead to bursting the garden hose and then go in for some
serious metalwork to get the adaptor built.  (Not a job for the
village smithy [they shoe horses, don't they?], I'd imagine.)
And if you wanted to go beyond the conventional Gateway problem,
consider the Translating/Mapping Gateway analogue, where some of
the time what you need is to couple a hose designed for carrying
liquid oxygen with a hose designed for carrying water to your
lawn: by the time you put enough heat into the adaptor so the
garden hose doesn't shatter from the cold, you've probably lost
sight of the fact that your lawn doesn't really need oxygen in
the first place.

Other permutations on the theme are doubtless available, and even
relevant, but can safely be left as an exercise....

cheers, map

P.S.  At the risk of violating tradition and linking this back up
to the question which started it all, one way of viewing the
difference between ISO IP and ARPANET IP is that each is supposed
to be threaded to a different faucet.  But, then, another way of
viewing the difference is to think about the news item I heard
over the weekend, where some builder in one of the cities the Pope
is visiting had donated several of his houses for the lodging
of the papal entourage, since he believed they'd be worth more later
because he had heard that the Pope blessed every house he entered
(not clear that the Pope would enter every house, of course,
but then I've never claimed to be up on ad man logic):
so to change the metaphor from the lawn to the house, they do
have slightly different floor plans, they both serve the same
fundamental purpose of being boxes to stay out of the weather
in, they're in the same neighborhood and all, but this one's
gonna cost ya $25,000 more because It's Been Papally Blessed!

-------

jain@erlang.DEC.COM (Raj Jain, LKG 1-2/A19 DTN: 226-7642) (09/11/87)

We have a hot-off-the-press  DEC  Technical  Report  DEC-TR-506  which
summarizes our work on congestion avoidance and explains the merits of
the 'congestion experienced' bit in ISO 8473.

Title:    CONGESTION   AVOIDANCE   IN   COMPUTER   NETWORKS   WITH   A
          CONNECTIONLESS NETWORK LAYER
Authors:  Raj Jain, K.  K.  Ramakrishnan, Dah-Ming Chiu
          Digital Equipment Corp.
          Littleton, MA 01460
Date:     August 1987.

If you would  like  a  copy  of the report mailed to you, please send me your
U.S.    Mail   address.    My   network   address   on   ARPAnet    is
Jain%Erlang.dec@decwrl.dec.com

Also, we would presenting the scheme in detail at the next NBS/OSI implementors
workshop in october.

-Raj