[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] tn3270 availability

StJohns@SRI-NIC.ARPA.UUCP (05/21/87)

1) Is there a protocol document for it?
2) Public domain software?  Where is it on the net?
3) Types of machines its available for?
4) Works with what flavors of IBM mainframes? (MVS VM??)

Mike

minshall@OPAL.BERKELEY.EDU (05/22/87)

Mike,

>   1) Is there a protocol document for it?

No.  It should be written down, and I should probably be part of the
writing, and I know some questions that need to be answered, and
I know where some of the answers are, but I haven't had time to do it.

>   2) Public domain software?  Where is it on the net?

Yes.  On 'arpa.berkeley.edu' you may anonymously ftp 'pub/tn3270tar'
(in binary mode).

>   3) Types of machines its available for?

It works on 'all' 4.2/4.3 Unices (though there is a bug, simple to fix,
which makes it VERRRY slow on 4.2 machines).  I am working on a version
for MSDOS (really PCDOS), and may be done fairly soon.  In addition,
FTP Software has a beta test version for MSDOS.  In addition, IBM announced
a version (derived from a different version) for PC's.  In addition,
Ungermann-Bass has some interest in this area (as may other vendors).

I don't know of anyone who has ported it to VMS, though we may be
doing that at Berkeley soon (using a newly restructured tn3270
we are using locally).

>   4) Works with what flavors of IBM mainframes? (MVS VM??)

I think it works with all 2 of the the VM OS's (IBM/Wisconsin's and
the Spartacus/Fibronics).  In the MVS case things are a bit less clear.
In general it seems to function (at some level) with code derived
from the UCLA base.  I'm not sure about the other products (many of
them do '3270 - to - host over the network'.

Greg

rms@ACC-SB-UNIX.ARPA.UUCP (05/22/87)

Mike,

TN3270 is not really a protocol, but rather a program to interpret raw IBM
3270 display protocol transmitted over a Telnet connection.  Other than
that, the TN3270 protocol deals with what Telnet negotiations are required,
when, and in what sequence.

I believe Greg Minshall at U. C. Berkeley is the originator of TN3270, which
was first implemented for Berkeley Unix.  It makes heavy use of Curses, and
also uses a TERMCAP-like file to map the user's ASCII keyboard into a 3270
EBCDIC keyboard.  TN3270 runs on 4.2/4.3 BSD Unix and its clones (Sun's,
etc.), and has also been ported (by Minshall) to run under MS-DOS with the
Ungermann Bass Personal-NIU Ethernet adapter.  CMU has ported the DOS version
to run with their enhanced version of the MIT PC/IP code, and Univ. of Md.
did the same for IBM.  FTP Software has a version in beta test which they are
about to release.  I am sure there are more, and there are certainly some in
the works.

We have been using TN3270 on our 4.3-based VAX, and it works well once you
get the keyboard set up in a reasonable fashion.  It is a bit of a CPU hog
though.  Also, I don't think FTP Software will mind me saying that we got
a beta release of their software and it's a dynamite product.  I can finally
trash my 3278 and VT100 and run Unix vi and IBM full-screen applications on
the same PC over a Telnet connection.  It would be nice to see the same
capability on a MacIntosh.

The DOS-based version is public domain and can be acquired from Berkeley
by contacting Greg Minshall.  The Unix version is also public domain, but
you probably have to have a license to use the curses library.  It is
included with the 4.3BSD distribution.

TN3270 operates with ACCES/MVS from ACC, VM TCP/IP from IBM (both 5798-DRG
and 5798-FAL), Wiscnet, KNET from Fibronics, and the public-domain MVS code
from UCLA.  I don't know if it works with DDN/MVS from Network Solutions
since the presentations I have attended made no mention of full-screen
support across Telnet.  They prefer to use SimWare for this.

I should also mention that Univ. of Wisconsin has developed similar software
for running full-screen applications across Telnet.  I believe it also runs
on PC's under DOS.  Marvin Solomon is a point of contact for this.

The real authority for TN3270 is Greg Minshall.  He reads this mailing list,
so I am sure he will respond to your query.  He can probably add a lot to
what I have said.

Ron Stoughton
ACC

davidc@TERMINUS.UMD.EDU (David Conrad) (05/23/87)

A clarification:

>                                             CMU has ported the DOS version
>to run with their enhanced version of the MIT PC/IP code, and Univ. of Md.
>did the same for IBM.

    The CMU version of tn3270 is based on MIT PC/IP telnet with the 3270
additions written by Jacob Rehkter of IBM Yorktown and merged by Drew
Perkins.  It wasn't a port of the Berkeley DOS code and I don't believe
its publicly available outside of CMU.  The University of Maryland
version is based on the Yorktown/CMU version.

    As for the protocol, I seem to remember some talk awhile ago of an
RFC that would describe entering and exiting 3270 emulation mode (or some
such).  Has anything come of this?

>Ron Stoughton

-drc
David R. Conrad      The University of Maryland       arpa: davidc@umd5.umd.edu
(301) 454-2946              PC/IP Group             bitnet: conradd@umdd.bitnet

gnu@hoptoad.UUCP (05/26/87)

rms@ACC-SB-UNIX.ARPA (Ron Stoughton) writes:
> The DOS-based version is public domain and can be acquired from Berkeley
> by contacting Greg Minshall.  The Unix version is also public domain, but
> you probably have to have a license to use the curses library.  It is
> included with the 4.3BSD distribution.

The curses library can be gotten without license; I have a copy.
If you get it from a 4.3 tape, you signed a license saying you would
not distribute it; but I got it straight from the author.  It is
copyright by him (Ken Arnold) and the U. of California, but the
only restriction is that you leave in the copyright notices.

If anybody needs a copy of the real 4.3BSD curses library for unlicensed
use, let me know.
--
Copyright 1987 John Gilmore; you may redistribute only if your recipients may.
(This is an effort to bend Stargate to work with Usenet, not against it.)

swb@DEVVAX.TN.CORNELL.EDU.UUCP (05/27/87)

Greg, have you considered making it work on an Encore Annex or other
terminal server?

minshall@OPAL.BERKELEY.EDU (05/28/87)

Scott,
	You asked whether I've thought about making tn3270 run
on an Encore Annex or other terminal server.  Not really.

	However, Phil Budne <budd@bu-cs.bu.edu> mentioned his
desire to port tn3270 to, specifically, the Encore.  I offered
him (in Monterey) access to the current development tn3270 (which
is easier to port than the distribution tn3270).  I don't know
if he has thought much more about it.

	There are problems, you understand.  The main problem is that
an Encore wants to have variables accessed as 'x[terminal_number]'
(or via pointer, or some such), and tn3270 isn't built in that way.
Also, one would like to be able to download 'map3270' (keyboard mapping)
tables.

	Anyway, you might want to check with Phil Budne.  Or, ask
your local, friendly vendor.

Greg

minshall@OPAL.BERKELEY.EDU (09/15/87)

There is a new procedure (previously hinted at) for distributing tn3270
by mail.  The current procedure for arpanet access (via anonymous ftp)
remains in place.

To receive a copy of tn3270 by mail, send a check for $100.00 (US), along
with a note indicating your desire to receive the tn3270 diskette, to:

	Campus Software Office
	295 Evans Hall
	University of California
	Berkeley, California 94720
	USA

You will receive, in exchange, an AT style (1.2MB) diskette with the tn3270
source (in tar format).  For your $100.00 (US), you have unlimited
redistribution rights (for both the source and any binaries generated).

I encourage people to use this path to acquire tn3270.  One advantage of
this path is that you get on "the list".  This list should allow you to
receive updates and announcements.  From our side, the advantage is having
some handle on the use of tn3270.

Sincerely,

Greg Minshall