[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Unisys 5000, Unix, and TCP/IP

AFDDN.TCP-IP@GUNTER-ADAM.ARPA (09/04/87)

   Just a request for any information out there.  Does anybody have any
experience with internetting Unisys 5000s?  These beasts run some flavor
of Unix.  The words filtering through the grapevine are that Unisys
wrote TCP/IP, FTP, SMTP and Telnet from scratch, and that there are a few
problems with it.  Any comments are welcome.
Darrel Beach
-------

ksand@mapper.UUCP (Kent Sandvik++) (09/20/87)

In article <8709041300.AA05135@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> AFDDN.TCP-IP@GUNTER-ADAM.ARPA writes:

>   Just a request for any information out there.  Does anybody have any
>experience with internetting Unisys 5000s?  These beasts run some flavor
>of Unix.  The words filtering through the grapevine are that Unisys
>wrote TCP/IP, FTP, SMTP and Telnet from scratch, and that there are a few
>problems with it.  Any comments are welcome.
>Darrel Beach
>-------

Yeah, we beasts run an ugly UNIX flavour called SysV, yacky :-).
Also the internetworking comes from Excelan as an OEM product, and those
guys wrote TCP/IP also for VMS and Sun machines. I think there are a few
problems, but there are always problems with all software in general.

I've tested the r-series commands (rsh, rcp, rlogin) to a VAX running 4.2 BSD,
and also the ftp and telnet to SUN:s and Apollo workstations. We found
*one* bug in connection with a Bridge Server and telnet (a minor one),
and this was corrected in the latest release.

Don't trust the grapevine, man...

					-Kent Sandvik-
--
|COMPRESSED SIGNATURE:ADDRESS:Vallgatan7,17191SolnaSwedenPHONE:+46 8-551639|
|job,-7333235 homeARPA:enea!mapper!ksand@seismo.arpa UUCP:ksand@mapper.UUCP|