[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] DSU/CSU units

kurt@hi.UUCP (Kurt Zeilenga) (09/22/87)

Well, now I need info on good DSU/CSU units for T1.  Any
information on good vendors would be greatly appreciated.

heker@JVNCA.CSC.ORG (Sergio Heker) (09/22/87)

Kurt,

We have been using the AVANTI Tpac DSU/CSU multiplexer for over a year
with good results.  If you need more info contact me directly.

					-- Sergio

Sergio Heker				tel:	(609) 520-2000
Internet: "heker@jvnca.csc.org"		Bitnet:	"heker@jvnc"
JOHN VON NEUMANN NATIONAL SUPERCOMPUTER CENTER, JVNCnet Network Manager

OPRBBDM@TCSVM.BITNET (Bryan McWilliams) (09/22/87)

Kurt,  In response to request for CSU/DSU   Go with Verilink.  you can
order them through DCA direct at 404-442-4244.   They're 2395.00 each, but
if you can get the educational discount you'll save another 30%.

Bryan McWilliams
Manager, Network Services
Tulane University
OPRBBDM@TCSVM
504-865-5631

enger%gburg.DECnet@BLUTO.SCC.COM ("GBURG::ENGER") (09/22/87)

We have a couple of T1 circuits, but the equipment on the ends functions
as its own "DSU", so all that is required are outboard CSU units.

We use Digital Link Corp. Model 551C.
I think we have had three blow out so far.  And a fourth leaked span power
to its chasis!  It turns out they had problems with the physical construction
of the units.  A bolt came very close to the circuit board and often shorted
or arcked during electrical storms, etc.  The factory supposedly installed
an engineering modification (cutting the excess off of the bolts probably)
to lower the likelyhood of lightning damage.  When one of the units came back
from getting "the fix", its Percent Error Free Seconds display simply counted
down constantly.

The Error Free seconds display is a nice feature.  It keeps an "objective"
eye on the status of the line.  Makes it real easy to point the finger at the
phone company.  Other than span power outages due to lightning blowing the
CO fuses, the only problem I have ever had with the T1s was a bad punch at
the undergroud, and the CSU EFS display showed it as an excessive error rate,
and indicated which direction the problem was in.  The local operating
company fixed it promptly, no questions asked.  They took one look at the
display on the csu, and went to work on the span.

If you wish to contact them, Digital Link is in Sunnyvale, Ca
Phone number 408-745-6200

Good luck,
bob

From:	GBURG::ENGER        "Robert M. Enger {CONTEL Fed. Sys} (301)840-4906" 22-SEP-1987 12:42
To:	GBURG::MAILER,ENGER
Subj:	RE: [TCP/IP Mail From: <weidlich@ludwig.scc.com>] ludwig non-functional when net is down

I don't "think" the ypbind has anything to do with the iebark reset.
I'll check into it.
bob
 (I think rebooting the machine is what cleared your problem??)
bob
------

eshop@saturn.ucsc.edu (Jim Warner) (09/23/87)

In article <8709221539.AA06394@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> OPRBBDM@TCSVM.BITNET (Bryan McWilliams) writes:
>Kurt,  In response to request for CSU/DSU   Go with Verilink.  you can
>order them through DCA direct at 404-442-4244.   They're 2395.00 each, but
>if you can get the educational discount you'll save another 30%.

I wish I could be so positive about Verilink.  It looks like they
are nothing but trouble from my perspective.  Ours get into funny
states which they can't recover from without pulling the plug.  I
mean that literally.  They have no on/off switch or reset button.
The factory recommendation to unjam one of these things is to pop
the modules out with the power on.  That grates.  There's not even
a button to force it out of loopback mode (again - just pull the
plug).

I wish I could be more specific about what "funny states" means.
What we think happens is that something happens to a phone circuit
that causes a lot of errors.  After several hours of whatever
mistreatment the phone co has to offer, the Verilink finally gets
confused, looses sync and locks up.  After the phone line has
gotten good again, the Verilink doesn't recover by itself.

Besides that, they break a lot.  We're working on our third unit
this year.

Another thing that's been a headache is their 8ZBS encoding.  While
the encoding itself isn't a problem, the equipment that our telco
gives its people sees a circuit that is working perfectly as having
thousands of errors per second.  In fairness to Verilink, this
last point is mostly a telco problem, but the bottom line is that
our phone co can't passively monitor our line to tell us what it
looks like from their perspective.   That hurts.

OPRBBDM@TCSVM.BITNET.UUCP (09/23/87)

I'm sorry to hear about your Verilink problems.  Were I suffering the same
difficulty I surely would not have recommended the box.  One question, are
you span powered?  South Central Bell (in Louisiana) provides T-1 via fiber
only, so my boxes are powered by standalone 48 v. power supplies from
Tellabs.  You may be taking some hits on the span if that's where your D.C
is coming from.  We test our line with firebird sets, and they show zero
errors.  The gear the phone company uses is not nearly as sophisticated
(at laest in our region).  I've had 2 verilink 551V models running absolutely
flawlessly for 10 months now.  From my perspective it's an excellent unit.

CERF@A.ISI.EDU (09/23/87)

Sorry to seem dense, but I thought the idea behind 8ZBS was to force
some ones in the stream to maintain sync - but that this was done in
a way which the telco did NOT see anything funny. The telco equipment
usually requires that there be some 1s in the data stream every so
often to assure clock synchronization. If a data stream threatens to
send a long sequence of zeros (as a crypto stream might), one puts in
a gadget that will convert 8 zeroes into a different bit pattern, and
on the receiving side, turn them back into zeroes. Why would the telco
see that as lots of line errors?

Vint Cerf

jas@MONK.PROTEON.COM.UUCP (09/24/87)

(This may be a little rusty, since I'm not near my PUB's, but I think
I've got the spirit, if not the letter, right.)

T1 coding is trilevel, with levels I will call -1, 0, and +1.  A bit
of "zero" is always represented as 0.  A bit "one" of will will be
represented as -1 if the last "one" was +1, and as +1 if the last
"one" was -1.

T1 uses regenerative reclocking repeaters along the line.  They
require flux transitions to ge the clock out of.  If they don't get
enough, they lose it.  To get transitions, you've got to send some
"one"'s.  This is why the rule of no more than 7 (?) "zero"'s in a
row.

B8ZS avoids this by putting a code violation in the bit cell for the
8th "zero".  Thus, if the last "one" was -1, the 8th "zero" will be
-1, and if the last "one" was +1, the 8th "zero" will be +1.

This offends Central Offices, who constantly check for code
violations.  This one way they decide the line is sick.  The nation
may not be fully B8ZS safe for another decade.

Many CSU/DSU's offer to run without B8ZS.  They use different schemes
to put your raw sync data on the T1 line without needing B8ZS to
provide data transparency.  Their price is usually correlated with how
many bits they waste doing this, and how high a clock rate you get at
the sync (RS-449) interface.

CERF@A.ISI.EDU (09/24/87)

In the early days of digital voice, when T1 was invented, I recall
that every 8th bit of each 24 channel sequence (192 bits total) was
a 1 for signalling/sync purposes. That coding gave you only 56 kb/s
of digital information, but avoided any problems with regeneration.

Over time, the need for such signalling went down (after all, 1/8
of each channel was 8 kb/s which is a lot just for signalling).
It sounds as if the coding trinary coding scheme didn't account
for arbitrary data passing through repeaters. Sigh.

Vint

jas@MONK.PROTEON.COM (John A. Shriver) (09/24/87)

Now that I'm at my office, I see I goofed a little on B8ZS.  There are
two complex patterns that replace the 8 "zero"'s, depending on the
polarity of the last "one".  If the last "one" was +1, then you send
0,0,0,+1,-1,0,-1,+1.  If the last "one" was -1, you send
0,0,0,-1,+1,0,+1,-1.  The fourth and seventh positions are bipolar
violations.  This is better than what I described before, as it gives
you a lot more flux changes (4 vs. 1).

I beleive the eigth bit in voice use is used for signalling
(on-hook/off-hook), but not to provide one's density.  It appears that
the one's density is provided by having the PCM voice not have any
voltage that comes out as seven "zero"s.  (Or at least making this
very infrequent.)

However, the 56KB of DDS service definitely comes from stuffing that
eighth bit as a "one".  This is also what the cheaper DSU/CSU's do.

For further reference, see AT&T PUB 62411.

hedrick@TOPAZ.RUTGERS.EDU (Charles Hedrick) (09/25/87)

8ZBS generates bipolar violations of a specific kind.  Some
telco equipment allows it and some does not.  For single-channel
T1 (i.e. two IP gateways that want the whole bandwidth of a
T1 connecting them), we have used a gadget from Digilink
that I call a T1-izer.  It takes a vanilla synchronous signal,
and supplies everything that is needed to pass it through T1.
There are a number of switches that control the encoding.
You can select 8ZBS, if your telco can hack that, or a more
convservative encoding if they can't.  (There is of course a
slight benefit in terms of line speed if you use 8ZBS.)
THis also has a DSU/CSU builtin.  (However we more typically
use Avanti equipment, because we need to multiplex several
channels on one T1 line.)

eshop@saturn.UUCP (09/27/87)

After I wrote about my Verilink experiences, the machine room at the
far end of our T1 line had an air conditioning failure.  By the time
the temperature had reached 85 F, our packet loss rate had climbed
to something on the order of 70 percent.  The guy at the other end
of the wire opened the doors to the machine room (it was evening and
fairly cool outside) and pulled the temperature down.  The packet
losses dropped back down to near zero.

There are three Verilinks in the same cabinet in the aforementioned
room (this is at Stanford).  Only our line suffered when the temp
climbed.  My conclusion is that there is definitely something wrong
with that Verilink.  NOTHING should be that temperature sensitive,
as the other two Verilinks in the cabinet testify.   The environmental
spec's for the 551VCC/U call for it to operate at up to 50 C (122 F)
so it's clear we have a lemon.

mckee@MITRE.ARPA (H. Craig McKee) (09/28/87)

At the risk of discussing the obvious: You noted that one of three
Verilinks behaved badly when the temperature went up.  It may be that
the distribution of cooling air within the cabinet was such that yours
went out-of-spec.

Regards - Craig