[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] smtp on Symbolics lisp machines

rhk@vilya.UUCP (11/12/87)

Does anyone have any expierence running tcp on Symbolics 3640's
and 3675's ?
We've installed an ethernet in our building and are using tcp
to transfer files from unix (Wollygong tcp on a 3b2-400) to the
Symbolics. We also have a AT&T 6300 using tcp from FTP Software.

The problem is that while ftp works fine we can't get smtp to
work. It seems that the Symbolics doesn't follow the format of
smtp and usr a CR NL at the end of a line.

We added a Sun 2 as a reference machine to clear up finger pointing
at Wollygong. With this group of machines smtp works fine between
the Sun, the 3b2, and the pc. To add to the confusion the smtp on
the pc works to the Symbolics as well as to the others?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

	rich kensicki
	{attunix,ihnp4}!vilya!rhk
	201-299-3005

merlin@hqda-ai.UUCP (David S. Hayes) (11/13/87)

In article <353@vilya.UUCP>, rhk@vilya.UUCP (KENSICKI) writes:

> Does anyone have any expierence running tcp on Symbolics 3640's
> and 3675's ?
> It seems that the Symbolics doesn't follow the format of
> smtp and usr a CR NL at the end of a line.

     I did this here.  The SMTP works fine, but the Unix machines
in general are botched.  The Sun, in particular, sends newline
(LF) at the end of line.  The Symbolics obediently sat there and
waited for a CR LF combination, which the Sun never sent.

     The fix was to add "E=\r\n" to the sendmail.cf on the Sun.

     Beware of the Symbolics store-and-forward mailer.  This
system believes that if you have a Symbolics user "chris", then
every "chris" in the world is just another name for your local
user.  I could not get around this - I had to tell the Symbolics
machines that they did not have store-and-forward, but the Sun
did.  I also set all-addresses-forward.  The Symbolics then give
everything to the Sun, which is smart enough to get it to the
correct machine.

--
David S. Hayes, The Merlin of Avalon	PhoneNet:  (202) 694-6900
UUCP:  *!uunet!cos!hqda-ai!merlin	ARPA:  ai01@hios-pent.arpa

kelsen@ge-dab.GE.COM (Mike Kelsen) (11/13/87)

     We experienced a similar problem with mail between a VAX 11/780
running ULTRIX 2.0 and our Symbolics.  To correct the problem, we
modified the /usr/lib/sendmail.cf file on the VAX to include the
following line for mailing to the Symbolics:

     Mether, P=[IPC], F=msDFMuC, S=11, R=21, E=\r\n, A=IPC $h

     If this doesn't work as is, try to rearrange the items on the
line.  That's how we got ours to work!  Good Luck!

      Michael S. Kelsen
      mcnc!ge-rtp!ge-dab!kelsen
      kelsen%ge-dab.GE.COM@mcnc.org

abc@brl-adm.ARPA (Brint Cooper) (11/14/87)

In article <353@vilya.UUCP> rhk@vilya.UUCP (KENSICKI) writes:

| Does anyone have any expierence running tcp on Symbolics 3640's
| and 3675's ?

| Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Send a note to slug@r20.utexas.edu.

Surely someone there can help you.