[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Is there an EGP that is available?

PAP4@AI.AI.MIT.EDU ("Philip A. Prindeville") (11/14/87)

    Date: 6 Nov 87 11:43:58 GMT
    From: steinmetz!vdsvax!barnett@uunet.uu.net  (Bruce G Barnett)
    Subject: Is there an EGP that is available?

    If we wanted to run EGP (External Gateway Protocol) on an Internet/mail
    gateway for the purposes of dynamically finding routes to other
    machines, where do we get this program?

    Is the source available?

    I know that Sun sells it with their DDN SunLink product.
    What about Ultrix/4.3bsd?

    What are the other protocols available - and what do people recommend?
    Thanks,
    --
    	Bruce G. Barnett 	<barnett@ge-crd.ARPA> <barnett@steinmetz.UUCP>
    				uunet!steinmetz!barnett

Bruce,

EGP is not a routing protocol.  It is a `reachability'
protocol.  There isn't sufficient information in EGP
to avoid certain routing pitfalls, like looping...

I believe it is FTP'ble either trantor.umd.edu.
The archive is called "gated.tar", and is in the
/pub directory.

The source is in the public domain (I think).

It should be the most current version.  Also,
Phil Karn recently found a minor patch for it that
he claims avoids most of the ARPAnet trauma seen
in the last few weeks, when EGP packets are fragmented
and/or excessively delayed.

His posting was also on TCP-IP.

-Philip