[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Ethernet versions

david@elroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (David Robinson) (11/09/87)

As most people know their are a couple ethernet standards, Version 1,
Version 2 and IEEE 803.2.  When one installs a new ethernet board
they must have the correct transeiver level to match the type that
the board supports, fortunately a lot of modern boards have
jumpers to support different versions.  I have found that you can
run both level 1 and level 2 transeivers on the same cable.

The question:  What is the difference between the versions and what
effect is their on the physical wire to run two different types
of transeivers?  I have heard people say that it is best to have all
the same type but no "real" evidence to base that comment on.

Could someone mail me either a description of the differences or
pointers to the available documentation that would answer these questions.

As always if their is enough interest I will summarize to the net.

--
	David Robinson		elroy!david@csvax.caltech.edu     ARPA
				david@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov

nguyen@amd.AMD.COM (Quinn Nguyen) (11/11/87)

In article <4800@elroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov>, david@elroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (David Robinson) writes:
> As most people know their are a couple ethernet standards, Version 1,
> Version 2 and IEEE 803.2.  When one installs a new ethernet board
> The question:  What is the difference between the versions and what
> effect is their on the physical wire to run two different types
> of transeivers?  I have heard people say that it is best to have all
> the same type but no "real" evidence to base that comment on.

Ethernet version 2 and ANSI/IEEE 802.3 (10BASE5) signals are
physically the same.
Version 1 and 2 signals are the same in the coax.
The main differences are on the Drop cable:
- SQE (Signal Quality Error) generation after a packet transmission
required for version 2 and 802.3 but not for version 1.
- Half-step idle signal (differentially 0) with transformer
isolation required for version 2 and 802.3 but not for version 1.
 If a MAU (transceiver) does not generate SQE and only accepts,
generates full-step signals (Ver. 1), it may have problem connecting
to a version 2 DTE or vice versa.
Other issues are device to device line static isolation, ground,
etc. which are not relevant to transceiver connection...
in term of functionality.
  Hope this may help.

gc@bnl.ARPA (Graham Campbell) (11/13/87)

In article <4652@amd.AMD.COM> nguyen@amd.AMD.COM (Quinn Nguyen) writes:
>In article <4800@elroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov>, david@elroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (David Robinson) writes:
>> As most people know their are a couple ethernet standards, Version 1,
>> Version 2 and IEEE 803.2.  When one installs a new ethernet board
>> The question:  What is the difference between the versions and what
>Other issues are device to device line static isolation, ground,
>etc. which are not relevant to transceiver connection...
>in term of functionality.

However if you interpret "functionality" to include "does it function",
then the other issues are very relevant.   We have had the experience
where a IEEE 803.2 transceiver would work, but a Version 2 transceiver
would not work.  The difference apparently was in the shielding and
extra pins used in the connectors for the shielding.  From my description
you can tell that I do not understand the problem very well and would
appreciate a reference to the complete differences (if it exists).

Graham

--
Graham Campbell  (gc@bnl.arpa, gc@bnl.bitnet, ...!phillabs!sbcs!bnl!gc)

ron@TOPAZ.RUTGERS.EDU (Ron Natalie) (11/14/87)

On the coax there is no differenece electrically between Version I
Version II, and IEEE 802.3.  There is an encoding difference in the
bytes.  The 802.3 uses the two bytes following the source address for
a length field.  The older Ethernet standards use this as a type field
for determining what protocol to use for the rest of the packet.  Most
IP networks these days are constructed using the old Ethernet interpretation
regardless of what kind of transceiver they use.

The difference between the Version I transceiver and the version II
is the presence of the so called "heartbeat" signal or SQE.  What this
does is blip the collision detect line after each transmission.  This
is an added protection for detecting broken transcievers and cabling that
may be jabbering on the net.

The IEEE 802.3 transciever is similar to the Version II transciever, but
has one additional signal state on the collision detect line for something
like MAU (that's what they call the transciever) not ready.  I'm not sure
what anybody does with this (if anything).

Of course, as stated earlier, the various standards call for different
sizes of conductors and grounding considerations, although the essential
signals conductors are the same.

-Ron

rpw3@amdcad.UUCP (11/19/87)

In article <8711141736.AA21062@topaz.rutgers.edu> Ron Natalie writes:
+---------------
| On the coax there is no differenece electrically between Version I
| Version II, and IEEE 802.3.
+---------------

Weeeelll... almost. There WAS a teensy change in the electrical spec on
the coax between Ethernet Version 1.0 (Sep'80) and Version 2.0 (Nov'82),
having to to with tightening the specs on the drive current (or at least
changing the way the A.C. versus D.C. components were specified). See
Section 7.3.2 "Coaxial Cable Signaling" in each version (p.61 in ver 1.0,
p.72 in ver 2.0). The net effect was to change the shape of the AC/DC schmoo
slightly. Very slightly.

There IS one significant change to that section in the 2.0 spec. The following
sentence is added:

	"The transceiver shall be able to produce its specified output
	current onto the coaxial cable with at least one other transceiver
	transmitting simultaneously."

That sentence made it official that receiver-based collision detection
shall be possible, by requiring that the current source in a transceiver's
transmitter not wimp out until the cable voltage was AT LEAST twice the
normal max peak voltage.

All practical "current sources" have a "maximum compliance voltage" above
which they quit being true current sources. (A "perfect" current source
would increase its voltage without limit, even to the point of arcing over
if you tried to disconnect it!) All of the current sources in the popular
Version 1.0 transceivers had plenty of compliance; the 2.0 spec just made
it official.

Why all the trouble? Well, if you are going to build a repeater, it's
important that you be able to creat "carrier" on the "other" side of
the repeater whenever you see carrier on "this" side (or a "jam" on the
other side whenever you see "collision" on this side). But in the case
of several transceivers transmitting at once, the current sources will
saturate and all the A.C. signal will disappear in the large D.C. offset.
It is important that this not happen at a voltage lower than the repeater
could reliably detect as a collision, when it itself was not transmitting.

Furthermore, I've been told that the tightening of the A.C. versus D.C specs
I mentioned above helped solve a possible ambiguity: In the case where a
repeater is at one end of a maximally-loaded cable and there is a collision
between two wimpy transmitters at the far end, the tightened spec plus the
tightened "voltage compliance" guaranteed that the repeater would see it as
a collision, and not interpret it as a single nearby macho transmitter.

Again, it's no big deal. All (?) of the 1.0 vendors' transceivers worked
(and work) just fine on a mixed 1.0/2.0/IEEE_802.3 cable. It just needed
to be said explicitly in the spec.

Rob Warnock
Systems Architecture Consultant

UUCP:	  {amdcad,fortune,sun,attmail}!redwood!rpw3
ATTmail:  !rpw3
DDD:	  (415)572-2607
USPS:	  627 26th Ave, San Mateo, CA  94403

raj@limbo.uci.EDU.UUCP (11/20/87)

I got this from the little booklet that comes with our ST-500 transceivers
that we bought from Cabletron.  (Cute, each one comes with a really complete
book telling all sorts of things about transceivers and such.)

We always make sure our transceiver cables have pin 1 connected to ground.
(Our Computing Facility used to connect pin 4 to ground to agree with 802.3
but then they couldn't be used on V2.0 so we always get pin 1 as ground now.)
We've used the same transceiver cables on V1.0, V2.0, and 802.3.  We have
mixtures of all versions on the same ethernet with no problems although we're
now trying to always go with 802.3 in the future.

Hope all of this helps.

		V1.0			V2.0			IEEE 802.3
Transceiver	(3) 22 AWG pairs	(4) 20 AWG pairs	(4) 20 AWG
cable		(1) 20 AWG inner	Inner & outer		pairs
		& outer shield		shield common		Inner & outer
		common at		at backshell		shield isolated
		backshell and		and pin 1		from each other
		pin 1						Outer shield at
								backshell,
								inside at pin 4
								Indented male
								connector for
								better
								electrical
								connection.

Transceiver	Full step		Half step		Half step
		No heartbeat		Heartbeat		Heartbeat

(SQE)
  Grounding	Pin 1			Pin 1			Pin 1, 4, 11 &
								14
								Ground indents
								on male
								connector.
								Jabber latching

Repeater	No requirements		No requirements		Redundant
								collision
								protection
								using Jam
								sequence,
								Segments
								excessive
								collision
								segment from
								network.

Vendors		Xerox, U-B,		DEC			U-B, 3COM, DEC,
		Gould, Harrris,		Cabletron		HP, Xerox,
		Cabletron					Micom-Interlan,
								Intergraph,
								Cabletron

kermit@BRL.ARPA (Chuck Kennedy) (11/21/87)

Here are the appropriate references for anyone that's interested:

The Ethernet: A Local Area Network: Data Link Layer and Physical Layer
Specifications, DEC, Intel, and Xerox Corporations, 1980.

The Ethernet: A Local Area Network: Data Link Layer and Physical Layer
Specifications, Version 2.0, DEC, Intel, and Xerox Corporations, 1982.

Carrier Sense Multiple Access with Collision Detection (CSMA/CD) Access
Method and Physical Layer Specifications (Standard 802.3-1985/International
Standard 8802/3), The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers,
Inc., 1985.