[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Idle chatter about reference models

oconnor@SCCGATE.SCC.COM (Michael J. O'Connor) (11/14/87)

Caveat:  Since this is idle chatter (see Subject:) the words martian, bogon,
	fuzzball, and playpen will not appear in the body of this message.

	My office-mate just received a colorful poster from CMC comparing
a seven-layer DoD Internet reference model to the seven-layer ISORM.  I've
attatched a little chart comparing those two RMs to the old four-layer
ARM [1] for the idly curious.
	The most glaring oddity (aside from typos and a cute phone number)
is the depiction of EGP, GGP and HMP as Transport layer protocols.  When I
expressed my surprise at this to my office-mate he wanted to know where they
did belong (magic-marker in hand).  My instinctive answer was that EGP and
GGP belonged in the Internetwork layer and that HMP belonged in Massachusetts.
	Since I'm just a hanger-on in this field, I was wondering to which
layer the protocol police would assign EGP and GGP (and their descendants).
I would also like to know if the aforementioned ARM has ever been supplanted.

				Mike

1. While displaying an affinity for M. Padlipsky's naming scheme (RFC871),
   the four-layer model to which I refer is the one described by B. Leiner,
   et. al. in "The DARPA Internet Protocol Suite".

ISORM		CMCRM			   ARM
Application	Application		Application
--------------------------------
Presentation
		Utility
Session
Transport	Transport		Service
		Internetwork		Internetwork
				------------------------
Network		Network			Network
--------------------------------
Data Link	Data Link
--------------------------------
Physical	Physical

craig@NNSC.NSF.NET (Craig Partridge) (11/18/87)

Mike,

    I'd say HMP belonged at the transport layer.  It can be reasonably
neatly dropped into a binary bsd kernel as a transport protocol, and
it has the usual transport functions (transport user addressing, sequence
numbers, etc).

    As for the four level ARM -- I recently argued to someone that we're
approaching five levels:

	     Application
	    [Presentation]
	      Transport
	     Internetwork
	       Network

The argument being that while we have no standard Presentation layer,
we are certainly using presentation schemes (XDR, Courier, ASN.1, multimedia
formats, etc.)

Craig

LAWS@rsre.mod.UK.UUCP (11/19/87)

Mike,

I view EGP, GGP and HMP as Management protocols - for which await
the Management Addendum etc to the OSI model now nearing draft standard
status. The OSI model deals with issues for host-to-host open
interworking. 10 years ago network providers were seen to be large
public utilities that would resolve their internetworking problems
in their private club (=CCITT). The world and technology has moved on,
other (many) network providers are a reality. Hence the OSI model must
now enbrace the concepts of management in a more public way.

Your diagram might mislead the reader into thinking that internetworking
is not an issue in ISORM. The network service is the Global Network
Service and contains all conforming interconnected ISORM subnets.

I do not consider it a sensible question to ask which layer a specific
management protocol is in. Rather it stands off to one side as an
application (maybe using the full stack of protocols for some part of
its job - access to a directory service?) while supporting a layer
in providing its service.

ISORM may be applied recursively, direct or indirect. In my own work
I have used the X25 VC service as a point-to-point link to connect
an IP gateway to a host. The usage as an on-demand point-to-point
link has considerable economic and time savings when that usage is
infrequent.

John

CERF@A.ISI.EDU.UUCP (11/19/87)

The inter-gateway routing algorithms really do sit above the
Internet Layer and thus occupy the same space as the Transport
Layer - though their function is not specifically transport -
that is one reason that I have always been a little uncomfortable
with the ISO model with its apparently rigid specification of
functionality at each layer.

Vint

hinden@PARK-STREET.BBN.COM.UUCP (11/20/87)

Mike,

I enjoyed you reference to HMP being in the "Massachusetts" layer.  It
might be more accurate to say that it is in the Massachusetts "stack" :-).

I do think it is correct that is should be shown as a transport layer
protocol.

EGP, GGP, and other similar internet protocols provide services
normally thought of as in the transport [, presentation ?] and
application layers.  The output of these protocols are used to provide
routing data for the internet layer.  I don't think that this puts
them in the internet layer.

Bob

haverty@CCV.BBN.COM.UUCP (11/20/87)

To throw mny two cents in...

I think HMP isn't "in the stack" at all, in the sense that it is NOT part
of a user data communications activity.  HMP is an application top level
protocol, between an entity at one end, i.e., the monitoring/management
operation, and an entity at the other end, i.e., the piece of code down within
some computer somewhere that is watching the activity within that computer
and interacting with the management site.  IN other words, the participants
in HMP are just like any other network users such as FTP or a data query
and retrieval system; it just happens to be the case that their activity is
associated with the operational management of a communications system.  Consider
for example if an HMP-like protocol were used to monitor the CPU-load and
disk-activity of a distributed collection of Unix systems, i.e., like
a constantly running remote "dpy" or "ps". In this case it's pretty clear that
the protocol between the players is an application in itself; HMP differs only
in that it is looking at the operation of components of a data communications
system.

Jack

PS to Dave Mills -- I do "read the mail" on the list all the time, just
a little slow in diving in.

LAWS@rsre.mod.UK.UUCP (11/20/87)

Vint,

I have a different view about the ISO model. Its apparent rigid
specification of functionality is only on issues that were seen
to be needed to have open systems - any vendor host to any vendor
host via any network provider. That said there is in fact enough
protocol choice in the layers that communities of interest are
selecting 'protocol stacks' to limit the number of protocols
required in a single host.

When networks were seen by the standards makers as being just the
public utility of CCITT there was no need to make ISO standards for
how to build or manage the network. CCITT would do that. It is now
accepted that other network providers will exist in great number (well
at least in the UK and US). Hence public standards must be stated for
the management of this internet. Note: the assumption is still that
a single vendor will provide the subnet and hence we do not require
public standards for that internal issue.

I agree its probably the case that my view is not the common one
stated by ISO experts. But look at the selling problem they had. If
you and I are to have choice in our vendors and still communicate
then standards are required. The scale on which this has/had to be
done is very large relative to run-of-the-mill standards. (By-the-by
I happen to think the OSI work has been done in double quick time;
checkout the timescale for standards on slings and hooks.) Just as
in politics, large market, complex issues, limited time = keep the
message simple.

Now there are two sorts of OSI experts - those who really are and
often have dirty hands and scars from past experience, and those
who have read the 'books' from their armchair. The first may cut
corners to put the message across in a few minutes but know its
more complex. The second only know what is in the 'books'.

My experience of standards committees UK BSI and ISO is that most
members working on OSI are the first. And just so that there is no
mis-understanding between us I do see you as being dead centre (center
- I'm bilingual) in the first. (That goes for Mike Padlipsky as well
- who if on form is composing a refutation of all I've said.)

(To all you other readers - this makes a change to reading how the
Internet is being RIPped apart.)

Does the US State Dept read this list? Will my A-2 VISA be revoked?

John

radia@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU (Radia Perlman) (11/20/87)

The Network Layer in ISO already has lots of sublayers, with
catchy names like "Subnetwork Independent Convergence Protocol".
With hierarchical routing, there's really a Network Layer sublayer
dealing with each level of hierarchy.  When you (according to
ARPA terminology, I think) interconnect networks into an internetwork,
I'd say you're just forming another layer of hierarchy on your network.
That extra layer does involve adding a protocol layer onto what used
to be your Network Layer.  But it certainly doesn't go into
the Transport Layer.  It just makes your Network Layer fatter (makes
a Network Layer that used to have k sublayers now have k+1 sublayers.)

In general I agree that trying to take the ISO Reference Model too
seriously leads to nonproductive metaphysical discussions, but I don't
think hierarchical routing at the ISO Network layer breaks the model.

Radia
-------

LAWS@rsre.mod.UK.UUCP (11/21/87)

---- Start of forwarded message.

To:      haverty%com.bbn.ccv@NSS
Cc:      "Michael J. O'Connor" <oconnor%com.scc.sccgate@NSS>,haverty%com.bbn.ccv@NSSRobert Hinden <hinden%com.bbn.park-street@NSS>
         tcp-ip%arpa.sri-nic@NSS,,
From:    John Laws (on UK.MOD.RSRE) <LAWS@RSRE>
Date:    Fri, 20 Nov 87 17:04
Subject: Re: Idle chatter about reference models

Jack,

It must be clear from my previous msgs that you and I are as one on this.

I defer to your clearer statement of where HMP is.

John

---- End of forwarded message.

leiner@riacs.EDU (11/24/87)

Vint,

I thought ISO viewed the management protocols (including gateway
routing algorithms) as kind of a blob sitting off to the side of the
"stack".  Did I get it wrong (again)?

Barry

CERF@A.ISI.EDU (11/24/87)

Barry,

ISO does put the management protocols off to the side with comb-like
projections into the various layers - rather like DECNET in that
regard. The gateway routing protocols all showed up just above IP
in the DoD Internet. At other layers, there was network management,
too, but not integrated into a common architecture. There were network
level management systems (e.g. ARPANET NOC), Internet management
systems (INOC, HMP - host monitoring protocol, GGP/IGP,EGP, etc.).

It still isn't entirely clear to me how integrated you can get and
still deal with separation of administrative control, etc.

Vint

gross@GATEWAY.MITRE.ORG (Phill Gross) (11/24/87)

Vint,

Couldn't GGP and EGP be viewed as application (or management or
somesuch) protocols that just happen to have transport functionality
built into them?  Using  such a view in Mike's diagram,
GGP/EGP might be vertical rectangles that spanned several of the
corresponding layers in the ISO model.

My own favorite is to view them as management protocols
of the IP layer (that happen to provide their own transport).
After all, their purpose is to update an IP MIB (that's ISOese
for routing table).

Phill

tcp-ip-RELAY@SRI-NIC.ARPA ("tcp-ip-RELAY%SRI-NIC.ARPA") (11/24/87)

Vint,

Couldn't GGP and EGP be viewed as application (or management or
somesuch) protocols that just happen to have transport functionality
built into them?  Using  such a view in Mike's diagram,
GGP/EGP might be vertical rectangles that spanned several of the
corresponding layers in the ISO model.

My own favorite is to view them as management protocols
of the IP layer (that happen to provide their own transport).
After all, their purpose is to update an IP MIB (that's ISOese
for routing table).

Phill

PADLIPSKY@A.ISI.EDU (Michael Padlipsky) (11/24/87)

Sorry to have kept you waiting; I have been off form as it happens, and
off to the Left Coast to boot.

Rather than succumb to the temptation of trying to see how many epicycles
the ISORM has these days (though I must confess I had been convinced at
one point in time that the party line was that each layer could/did have
a management sublayer--but never found out if that also applied to each
sublayer, so wasn't sure if L3 was four or six epicycles deep), let's
where things like GGP, EGP, and HMP went in  the layering.  Although I
have a great deal of sympathy for those who didn't bite and in essence
placed such things orthogonal to the layering, I would like to observe
that there's an alternative for those who find that view unsatisfying:
If you believe that the layers are Applications/Process, Host-Host, and
Network (Interface)--i.e., the old simple as I, II, III ARM I've always
espoused--then the answer ought to be easy to derive for any of the
three (or other, like protocols).  If they have to do with doing things
in common for the users' processes to get the bits to go from Host to
Host, then they're L II is one approach.  If they're clearly not part
of the interface to the proximate comm subnet processor and also fairly
clearly not directly germane to the Applications/Process Layer, then
they're L II is the other approach.  (Note to the original question-
raiser: you're of course welcome to use my Form, but it works better
if you use my Content too.)  (Note to John Laws: as you well know, my
main problem with the ISORMites is that they seem to me to be attempting
to substitute Form for Content almost all the time.)

Hope that's not too characteristically cryptic; if it is, I'll cop
a plea based on an imminent cold on top of the jetlag.

   cheers, map
-------

PADLIPSKY@A.ISI.EDU (Michael Padlipsky) (11/24/87)

Ooops.  More off form than I'd realized [/realised]:  Belatedly occurred to
me that the Layer, Layer, Who's Got the Layer context is a good one for
remembering that even if the ISORMites still think you've got to traverse
every layer every time, I never did (and they might not any more, if one
thinks things like "MAP" [which, of course, should be "MAPS" to begin with,
since it's a Suite, not just A protocol] are ISORMitic, since it blithely
skips a layer or two on its way).  So I'd refine my answer to the original
question to include something like "They sure seem to me to be operating
at L II WHEN THEY'RE OPERATING."  That might somehow subsume the notion
that a few people had that they're not really "in" the "stack"--or
perhaps subvert it, if not subsume it.  (And I guess it's also
worth pointing out that is assumes HMP, which I haven't looked at,
doesn't muddy the waters and operate over TCP connections, which
would almost make it have to be L III by my insistently non-rigorous
definitions.)
   fuzzy cheers, map
p.s. So as not to generate a new Glossary call, for the benefit of
those who haven't been around long enough, "ISORM" = ISO Reference
Model; ISORMite = follower of the ISORM who I feel is of dubious
worth (as opp. to ISORMist, which is one I feel to be sound in other
respects but wrong about the RM issue).  (The reason why I don't
use "OSI" is that I feel it begs the question; i.e., they may say
they're doing Open System Interconnection in their name, but are
they in their RM ... or their standard protocols?  Besides, I like the
sound of ISORM.)
te: 2ybo