[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Latest KA9Q TCP/IP for MSDOS now available from SIMTEL20

W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA (Keith Petersen) (12/07/87)

The latest version of KA9Q's TCP/IP for MSDOS is now available via
standard anonymous FTP from SIMTEL20...

Filename			Type	 Bytes	 CRC

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.KA9Q-TCPIP>
NELSON.ARC.1			BINARY	  7385  1825H
NET_BM.ARC.2			BINARY	 23171  48BBH
NET_DES.ARC.2			BINARY	 18721  E18CH
NET_DOC.ARC.2			BINARY	104826  B348H
NET_EXE.ARC.2			BINARY	104944  244DH
NET_READ.ME.2			ASCII	  3381  9A51H
NET_SRC.ARC.2			BINARY	233582  16A4H
PXX107.ARC.1			BINARY	 46952  3F49H
TNC_ASH.ARC.2			BINARY	 53998  9927H
TNC_LDR.ARC.2			BINARY	 15790  0D43H
TNC_TNC1.ARC.2			BINARY	 33058  1B49H
TNC_TNC2.ARC.2			BINARY	 47427  D326H

[Here is the NET_READ.ME file]

Welcome to the KA9Q Internet Package!
(Updated 25 November 1987 by KA9Q)

This file reflects the changes made up to version 870829.16.  The major
new feature since 870829.0 is the addition of full-blown support for
AX.25 Level 2.  It may be used to acknowledge IP datagrams on a
hop-by-hop basis and also to communicate with conventional (i.e.,
non-TCP) AX.25 stations from the keyboard.

A number of the commands relating to specific protocols (e.g., AX.25,
TCP, IP, UDP) have been restructured in a hierarchical fashion.  For
example, the "digipeat" and "mycall" commands have been made subcommands
under the "ax25" main command.  See useguide.doc for details.  NOTE: you
will have to change your autoexec.net with this release!

In addition to commands added to support the new AX.25 functions,
several utility commands have been added for your convenience.  "dir"
lists directories on the console without leaving net, "cd" (alias "pwd")
prints and changes the current working directory, and "shell" (alias
"!") allows you to suspent net.exe temporarily to run other commands
(note that this freezes any network activity in progress).  The "record"
command allows you to record your Telnet and AX.25 sessions in a file,
and "upload" allows you to send files as though they were typed at the
keyboard.

Lots of little bug fixes and enhancements have been made. TCP round trip
timing when sending into large windows has been fixed.

The .ARC files that make up the distribution are compressed archives that
were created with version 3.5 of the PKXARC archive program.  They may
not be compatible with the ARC program produced by System Enhancement
Associates, because the PKARC program knows more compression methods than
ARC.  For your benefit, a self-extracting archive PKX35A35.EXE has been
provided.  Run it to extract a program that can be used to extract the
archives.

The distribution is structured based on the directory structure used to
create the software:

NET_BM.ARC	.\BM	- sources to Bdale's Mailer, and Gerard's Gateway
NET_DES.ARC	.\DES	- an implementation of DES (Data Encryption Standard)
			  for possible use in validating logins, etc.
NET_DOC.ARC	.\DOC	- all of the doc files
NET_EXE.ARC	.\EXE	- executable programs and config files
NET_SRC.ARC	.\SRC	- sources to NET.EXE
NELSON.ARC	.\SRC	- alternative assembler source files for net.exe
			  not dependent on Aztec macros. Contributed by Russ
			  Nelson (nelson@clutx.clarkson.edu).

TNC_ASH.ARC	.\TNC\ASH	- KISS for the VADCG and ASHBY boards (AJ9X)
TNC_LDR.ARC	.\TNC\LDR	- N4HY's KISS downloader in Turbo Pascal
TNC_TNC1.ARC	.\TNC\TNC1	- KISS for the TAPR TNC-1 and clones (WB6ECE)
TNC_TNC2.ARC	.\TNC\TNC2	- KISS for the TAPR TNC-2 and clones (K3MC)

Whatever you do, *PLEASE* don't unpack all of the .ARC files in one directory,
as there are duplicate names all over the place... Makefiles, README files,
etc.

After unpacking, look for a README file in each archive.  Read this first,
before you do *anything* else.  Some are just informative, some are very
important.

Finally, we're constantly striving to improve this software, and the
distribution as a whole.  Comments may be forwarded to Bdale Garbee, N3EUA.
Several of the Doc files include info on how to reach me...

Above all, HAVE FUN!

73
Bdale, N3EUA
Phil, KA9Q

-----
--Keith Petersen
Arpa: W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA
Uucp: {bellcore,decwrl,harvard,lll-crg,ucbvax,uw-beaver}!simtel20.arpa!w8sdz

zeeff@b-tech.UUCP (Jon Zeeff) (12/10/87)

Is this the version that includes support for running as a single task under
Unix?  If not, what is the status of that version (I heard is was almost
done months ago).

--Jon

--
Jon Zeeff           		Branch Technology,
uunet!umix!b-tech!zeeff  	zeeff%b-tech.uucp@umix.cc.umich.edu

bill@trotter.usma.edu (Bill Gunshannon) (12/11/87)

In article <4063@b-tech.UUCP>, zeeff@b-tech.UUCP (Jon Zeeff) writes:
> Is this the version that includes support for running as a single task under
> Unix?  If not, what is the status of that version (I heard is was almost
> done months ago).

The latest word on the next release of KA9Q's TCP/IP is to look for it
in your Christmas stocking.
As there appears to be a lot of interest any more I will post a message
as soon as it becomes available if noone beats me to it.  I check on it
just about every day.  The UNIX support is supposed to be for SYS V but
I will be converting that over to Version 7 and probbly XENIX (SYS III)
as soon as I lay my hands on it as those are what I run.

bill gunshannon

UUCP: {philabs}\		 	US SNAIL: Martin Marietta Data Systems
      {phri   } >!trotter.usma.edu!bill           USMA, Bldg 600, Room 26
      {sunybcs}/			          West Point, NY  10996
RADIO:         KB3YV		        PHONE: WORK    (914)446-7747
AX.25:         KB3YV @ K3RLI	        PHONE: HOME    (914)565-5256