[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] beginners guide to ... ?

PAP4@AI.AI.MIT.EDU ("Philip A. Prindeville") (12/12/87)

			(plug, plug, plug)

Doug Comer ("Xinu", et al) is writing a book about Internetworking,
pretty much outside of the context of an operating system, though he
does talk briefly about 4.3BSD (sockets and utilites).  The book
is fairly exhaustive, and seems to be a timely replacement for
the Tanenbaum book (is it still being printed with NCP references?).

What I saw seemed as well written as his previous publications.  I
just hope it makes it to print before it starts to get out of date...
It happens so quickly these days.

(Doug: hope I didn't let the cat out of the bag)

-Philip

PAP4@AI.AI.MIT.EDU ("Philip A. Prindeville") (12/15/87)

My apologies for being ambiguous -- apparently I left some people in
doubt.  The new Comer book is unrelated to the Xinu series...

-Philip

parulkar@UDEL.EDU (Gurudatta Parulkar) (12/15/87)

    			(plug, plug, plug)

>    Doug Comer ("Xinu", et al) is writing a book about Internetworking,
>    pretty much outside of the context of an operating system, though he
>    does talk briefly about 4.3BSD (sockets and utilites).  The book
>    is fairly exhaustive, and seems to be a timely replacement for
>    the Tanenbaum book (is it still being printed with NCP references?).

I believe Tanenbaum's book's Second edition is also coming out very
soon. Of course, it wouldn't have as much on ARPA internet as Comer's
book. (As per the local Prentice Hall Representative)

-guru parulkar

verber@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Mark A. Verber) (12/15/87)

Doug Comer's book is already out.  It's title is Operating System
Design Volume II:  Internetworking with Xinu.  In my opinion it is the
best book for someone to learn about the TCP/IP protocol suite from
the ground up.  Doug has once again put out a book which is highly
readable.  This book is also the reference manual for Xinu volume 7
which is running on Sun3, Macs, and Vaxen.

Cheers,
Computer Science Department			         Mark A. Verber
The Ohio State University			 verber@ohio-state.arpa
+1 (614) 292-7344				  cbosgd!osu-cis!verber

alan@cunixc.columbia.edu (Alan Crosswell) (12/16/87)

In article <8712141019.aa12180@Dewey.UDEL.EDU> parulkar@UDEL.EDU (Gurudatta Parulkar) writes:

>    			(plug, plug, plug)
>>
>>    Doug Comer ("Xinu", et al) is writing a book about Internetworking,
>>    pretty much outside of the context of an operating system, though he
>>    does talk briefly about 4.3BSD (sockets and utilites).  The book
>>    is fairly exhaustive, and seems to be a timely replacement for
>>    the Tanenbaum book (is it still being printed with NCP references?).
>
>I believe Tanenbaum's book's Second edition is also coming out very
>soon. Of course, it wouldn't have as much on ARPA internet as Comer's
>book. (As per the local Prentice Hall Representative)
>
>-guru parulkar

	     (unsolicited plug, but a plug just the same)

You might also want to browse:

Schwartz, Mischa.  Telecommunication Networks: Protocols, Modeling and
Analysis, Addison-Wesley, Reading, Mass., 1987.

I like to read the protocol description sections and skip the modeling
and analysis (aka queueing theory) parts :-) If you saw the grades I
got a few years ago in Prof. Schwartz's modeling and performance
analysis class you would know why.

copied from the Table of Contents (sorry for the length; my little typing
fingers got carried away):

1 Introduction and Overview
  Circuit and Packet Switching - A Brief Introduction
  The Need for Networks
    Interconnection of Networks
  Layered Communications Architectures
  Outline of the Book

2 Introduction to Queueing Theory
  Poisson Process
  The M/M/1 Queue
  Little's Formula, L=(lambda)W
  State-dependent Queues: Birth-death Processes
  M/G/1 Queue: Mean Value Analysis
  Nonpreemptive Priority Queueing Systems
  Problems

3 Layered Architectures in Data Networks
  OSI Standards Architecture and Protocols
  Unified View of OSI Protocols
  X.25 Protocol
  Systems Network Architecture(SNA)
  Problems

4 Data Link Layer: Examples and Performance Analysis
  Stop-and-Wait Protocol
  Go-Back-N Protocol
    Throughput Efficiency and Optimum Packet Length
  High-Level Data Link Control (HDLC)
    Throughput Analysis, Balanced HDLC Procedure
  Problems

5 Network Layer: Flow Control and Congestion Control
  X.25 Protocol
    X.25 Flow-control Mechanism
  Analysis of Window Flow-control Mechanisms
    Virtual Circuit Model
    Sliding-window Model
    Acknowledge-at-end-of-window Control
  SNA Path Control
    Virtual Route Pacing Control
    SNA Transmission Header
  Queueing Networks
    Product-form Solution, Exponential Network
    Open Queueing Networks
    Closed Queueing Networks
    Mean Value Analysis
  Input-buffer Limiting for Congestion Control
  Problems

6 Network Layer: Routing Function
  Bifurcated Routing
  Shortest-path Routing
    Decentralized Version of Algorithm B
  Examples of Routing in Networks and Network Architectures
    Virtual Circuit-oriented Networks
    Datagram-oriented Networks
  Performance Analysis of Distributed Routing Algorithms
    Distributed Algorithm B
    Predecessor Algorithm
    Loop-free Distributed Routing Algorithms
    Comparitve Performance
  Problems

7 Transport Layer
  OSI Transport Protocol
  Error-detection and Error-recovery Mechanisms in Transport Protocols
  Class-4 Transport Protocol Error-detection and Error-recovery Mechanisms
  Summary, Transport Protocols Class 4 - Finite State Machine
  Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) - Comparison with Transport Protocol,
    Class 4
  Problems

8 Polling and Random Access in Data Networks
  Controlled-Access: Polling
    Roll-call Polling
    Hub Polling
  Random-access Techniques
    Pure Aloha
    Slotted Aloha
  Polling and Random Access Compared
    Metropolitan-area Networks: CATV Systems
  Random Access using CSMA/CD
  Problems

9 Local Area Networks
  Comparitive Performance, CSMA/CD and Token Ring
  IEEE 802 Local Area Network Standards
    Ethernet: CSMA/CD Local Area Network
    Token-passing Rings
  Problems

10 Introduction to Circuit Switching
  Simple Model, Circuit Switching: Queued Mode
  Circuit and Packet Switching Compared: Simple Model
  Elements of Traffic Engineering
  Digital Switching Networks
    Time Division Switching
    Block Probability Analysis of Multistage Switches: Lee Approximation
    Improved Approximate Analysis of Blocking Switch
  Examples of Digital Switching Systems
    AT&T No. 4 ESS
    Italtel UT 10/3 Switch System
  Problems

11 Call Processing in Digitial Circuit-switching Systems
  Software Organization and Call Processing
    Example: Italtel UT10/3
    AT&T No. 5 ESS
  Analysis of Call-processing Procedure
  Overload Controls for Circuit-switching Machines
    Idealized Models of Overload Control
    Overload Controls for Hierarchical Distributed Systems
  Problems

12 The Evolution Toward Integrated Networks
  Routing in Circuit-switch Networks
    Hierarchical Routing
    Nonhierarchical Routing
    Control of Alternately Routed Traffic: Trunk Reservation for First-routed
      Traffic
  Common-channel Signaling for Circuit-switched Networks
    Message Transfer Part, Signalling Link Level
    Signalling System Performance
    High-level Features
  Integrated Services Digital Networks
    A Mathematical Prelude: Moment-generating Functions
    Models for Integrated Voice and Data
    Integration Using the FIFI Discipline
    Integration with Preemptive Priority
  Movable-boundary Strategy
    Continuous-time Analysis of Movable-boundary Scheme
    Movable-boundary Scheme: Approximate Analysis, Underload Region
    Movable-boundary Scheme: Fluid Flow Approximate Analysis, Overload Region
  Problems