[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] gated/RIP info request

fedor@NISC.NYSER.NET (Mark Fedor) (01/12/88)

	Gated supports RIP as described in the UNIX routed man
	page (with some HELLO-like extensions),  HELLO (formal
	specs, RFC 891); Beware that the HELLO in gated has changed
	to parallel the NSFNet fuzzballs, so RFC 891 is out of date.
	Gated also supports EGP (kirton's EGP). EGP (formal specs,
	RFC 904, Kirton's EGP under UNIX, RFC 911)

	Mark

merlin@hqda-ai.UUCP (David S. Hayes) (01/14/88)

In article <8801111621.AA00905@nisc.nyser.net>, fedor@NISC.NYSER.NET (Mark Fedor) writes:

> 	Gated supports RIP as described in the UNIX routed man
  [deleted]
> 	Gated also supports EGP (kirton's EGP). EGP (formal specs,
> 	RFC 904, Kirton's EGP under UNIX, RFC 911)

This looks like it's just the sort of thing one would want in a
gateway Sun system.  Can anyone tell me where I can get the code
for 'gated'?  I can FTP if necessary.

T i A,
--
David S. Hayes, The Merlin of Avalon	PhoneNet:  (202) 694-6900
UUCP:  *!uunet!cos!hqda-ai!merlin	ARPA:  ai01@hios-pent.arpa

cpw%sneezy@LANL.GOV (C. Philip Wood) (01/15/88)

David S. Hayes writes:

> This looks like it's just the sort of thing one would want in a
> gateway Sun system.  Can anyone tell me where I can get the code
> for 'gated'?  I can FTP if necessary.
>
> T i A,

As long as the "gateway Sun system" is connecting the same class of
network number with the same subnet mask you are probably right.
Sun systems can only act as gateways between networks of the same
class and subnet mask. Maybe a Sun could gateway between a
class C non-subnetted network and a class B network with
subnetmask == 255.255.255.0.

Phil Wood  (cpw@lanl.gov)

slevy@UC.MSC.UMN.EDU (Stuart Levy) (01/15/88)

> Sun systems can only act as gateways between networks of the same
> class and subnet mask.

> Phil Wood  (cpw@lanl.gov)

Are you sure about that?  We use SUN-3's as gateways between class-B
and class-C nets, and they seem to work just fine.  There -is- a restriction
that only one network can be subnetted (can gateway among subnets of
a single net, can gateway also onto class A/B/C non-subnetted nets, but cannot
gateway between subnets of two different nets).  This is true under SUN 3.3
at least.

cpw%sneezy@LANL.GOV (C. Philip Wood) (01/15/88)

< in reference to Sun's as gateways >

I know for sure that they only have one place in memory for a subnet mask.
Maybe, if you do not subnet, things work.

I also know that we have to trash (logically, for the indefinite future)
the IPC boards from Sun.   We have a class B subnetted with 6 bits for net
and 10 for host.  I know that's a strange way to subnet.  But, hey, that's
the way DEC does it!  We also have a Class C subnetted with 3 bits for subnet
and 5 bits for host (now thats more like it).  It cuts down on the plethora
of broadcasts/arps/rarps/ICMP-Redirects/ICMP-Mask-replys from every host known
to man, when ONE Sun client boots!

Oh, oh.  I'm beginning to feel stressed!  Is this time for a flame on banner?
No, I must maintain some kind of decorum.  I'll just cut the remainder of this
message, and save it for later.  Actually, its pretty good ..., nah.

One does have a choice though, there are other's out there that make real
IP routers.

Phil Wood  cpw@lanl.gov

melohn@SUN.COM (Bill Melohn) (01/15/88)

To clarify: Suns running version 3.3 or later of the Sun Operating
System can in fact route packets between class A, B, C, or any
combination thereof.  There is only ONE subnet mask possible in the
3.X series of releases, so if you are routing between two subnetted
networks of any class, the subnet masks must be the same. Routing
between a subnetted network and a non-subnetted net is never a
problem, and the entire restriction will dissappear in release 4.0,
which uses the 4.3 subnetting code.