[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] POSIX

george@EGLIN-VAX.ARPA ("CALVIN R. GEORGE") (01/20/88)

Pardon me for bugging this community but can someone point me to a
POSIX interest group or tell me where I can get a recent stab at the
POSIX standard?

I understand that NBS has accelerated their efforts and may be ahead of
IEEE in coming up with a standard.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,
Calvin George
------

jsq@longway.UUCP (John S. Quarterman) (01/21/88)

>Pardon me for bugging this community but can someone point me to a
>POSIX interest group or tell me where I can get a recent stab at the
>POSIX standard?

Yes:  std-unix@uunet.uu.net, requests to std-unix-request@uunet.uu.net;
also distributed as newsgroup comp.std.unix on USENET.  I'm the moderator.

There are various paper mailing lists and levels of participation in the
various committees.  I will send you in a separate message a copy of my
semi-monthly posting on that subject.  Most people on the TCP-IP list
are probably not interested.

>I understand that NBS has accelerated their efforts and may be ahead of
>IEEE in coming up with a standard.

Yes.  There will be a report on that in comp.std.unix in the next few days.

gross@GATEWAY.MITRE.ORG (Phill Gross) (01/21/88)

There are indeed some very interesting things happening in the POSIX
arena these days and NBS is very involved in many aspects of the work.
If no one from NBS responds to you directly, send me a note and I will
give you a name to contact.

In the meantime, for those who want to find out more basic information,
there is an informative introductory document entitled `POSIX Explored'
from /usr/group.  The address given in the document is:

	/usr/group
	4655 Old Ironsides Dr. #200
	Santa Clara, CA 95054
	408-986-1645