[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] WWV update

Mills@UDEL.EDU (12/25/87)

Folks,

A phone call to the WWV Engineer in Charge revealed that yes, they did
realign the timecode generator a couple of days ago, which corresponds
to the time the Heath clocks lost theirs. Happens the ancient generators
(15-20 years old) had drifted from the Inter-Range Instrumentation
Group (IRIG) specification, which does say "10 dB down," not "all the
way down," as apparently assumed by the Heath designers. Well, the
subcarrier has been misadjusted then since before I've been watching
clocks, almost a decade now. Anyway, The EinC kindly offered to return
the adjustment to its "original" state early next week, so our clocks
might get a Christmas present after all.

Turns out Precision Standard Time, Inc., is actively lobbying WWV to
replace their wheezing timecode generators and there is a good possibility
that might come to pass. If so, there may be a good opportunity to lobby
the "advance-warning-leap-second" issue, which comes down again at the
last second of the year and which will cause zillions of clocks all
over the world to hiccup. Therefore, we might do well to widely publicize
our outrage when, as expected, our clocks swish and sway in the first
few minutes to hours after the leap.

Phil Karn, I was wrong. The new transmitters have not arrived WWV yet,
although they have been running at WWVH for about a year. Yes, the reason
for the backwave was continuous phase tracking and yes, today's technology
doesn't need that. If anybody from IRIG is alive today, punch him in the nose.

Dave

louie@TRANTOR.UMD.EDU ("Louis A. Mamakos") (12/25/87)

Hey, if we're gonna insist on an advance-warning-leap-second, then we really
should insist on having the YEAR be transmitted as well.  Please!

louie

Mills@UDEL.EDU (12/25/87)

Louie,

Yes, you remember that I honk on the advance-year issue every year. I in fact
raised it with the EinC, but he complained that the format is out of bits.
Well, the info could be coded as a superframe, since the data rate is pretty
low for that kind of stuff. Time to lobby PSTI on that, too. Ahem.

Dave

andre@nrc-ut.UUCP (Andre' Hut) (01/08/88)

In article <8712241814.AA06202@trantor.UMD.EDU> louie@TRANTOR.UMD.EDU ("Louis A. Mamakos") writes:
>Hey, if we're gonna insist on an advance-warning-leap-second, then we really
>should insist on having the YEAR be transmitted as well.  Please!

Yeah!  And how about a checksum too?  Every once and awhile, my heathkit clock sets itself to
the "correct" time, but it is several hours off.
                sdcsvax-\         ihnp4-\
                         \               \
Andre' Hut              sdcrdcf!psivax!nrcvax!nrc-ut!andre
                         /              /        /
                hplabs--/ ucbvax!calma-/        /
				utah-gr!uplherc/
Network Research Corporation
923 Executive Park Dr. Suite C
Salt Lake City, Utah 84117

Mills@UDEL.EDU (01/24/88)

Andre',

You get sixty bits, one per second in each minute, to code everything. Right now each
minute is separate, but coded so you can compare one minute to the next. In
principle, you don't need a checksum, since you have a built-in majority
decoder capability. Heath insists that two frames (minutes) in ten be identical
to achieve lock. You can do much better than this, even without changing the
format, with a little imagination and spare microprocessor cycles.

Dave