[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] DCA Protocol Lab Test Tools

bobj@MCL.UNISYS.COM (Bob Jones) (02/08/88)

I recently saw a message from Hal Peterson at Cray (hrp%ishmael.cray.com
@uc.msc.umn.edu) regarding the DCA protocol laboratory test tools
which were being beta tested and Cray submitted to those tests.

I have just one rebuttal to a comment made by Hal.

The tests themselves do not take a significant amount of time to run.
On the contrary, the complete protocol suite can be tested fully in
one or two days - providing the remote drivers are working properly
and the network is not giving us problems.  We do have direct dial up
to the facility also.  The problem that Hal alluded to in terms of
time is really that of trying to correct the bugs found and being
retested.  That is what took so long.  If the drivers are working
and net is ok, the following times are generally common for testing
the protocols:

TCP - 2 hours
IP - 6 hours (this is being reduced to approx 2 hours)
FTP - 1 hour
Telnet - 1 hour
SMTP - 1 hour

I want to reiterate that this is the actual testing time and not the
attempts to go off and correct problems and come back up for testing.

bobj

Mills@UDEL.EDU (02/08/88)

Bob,

Holy Cow. If the network is okay almost anything will work, even ISOspeak.
What you want to know is how the implementations work when the net ISN'T
okay, when the remote drivers are buggy and at arbitrary times during
the day when packets are falling off the Earth and so forth. I would give
the okay-network test only a Journeyman Certificate, hardly more worthy
that an Ethernet Certificate. The heavy dudes claim Mailbridge Certificates
and the real wowsers claim the most exclusive of all, the NSFNET Medal.

Dave

bobj@MCL.UNISYS.COM (Bob Jones) (02/08/88)

Dave,  thanks for comments.  The test system is robust enough to recover
from net-induced perturbations.  Thats not a real problem.  What has
happened from our experience is that we spend a lot, (lots!) of time
doing recoveries and not getting on with real testing.  Also the test
system has a rather extensive corruption capability to test the
implementations without the network adding to the pot.  I believe we
can claim the Mailbridge Certificate.  The NSFNET Medal?  I refuse to
die on my sword.

bobj

kleonard@PRC.Unisys.COM (Ken Leonard --> kleonard@gvlv2@prc.unisys.com) (02/09/88)

In article <8802071346.aa05817@Huey.UDEL.EDU> Mills@UDEL.EDU writes:
>Bob,
>
>Holy Cow. If the network is okay almost anything will work, even ISOspeak.

What Bob meant by "network OK" was the simple ability to keep ANY
connection open, for the test-control channel, for even 10 minutes or so!

You ain't seen nuthin, in the way of netcrap, until you've been on the
wrong side of an imp with experimental (pre-alpha grade) code working
thru a gate with equivalent code.

Otherwise, the point is correct, and the test tools in question not only
work thru garbage--they can make garbage when it is needful.

Regardz,
Ken

Mills@UDEL.EDU (02/09/88)

Ken,

Point taken, with the exception of your comment on the depth of excrement in the
swamp. Having swept the alligators from the wrong end of the IMP, you are
cordially invited to swat the lizards on the NSFNET Backbone and dependent
tributaries. It's much like a municipal waterworks system going out to the
users, but also like a municipal sewer system coming back. Soon you may
apply for a Merit Badge Gongfermer Grade for demonstrated competence in
reptile extermination, which would seem a lot more fun than creepy-crawling
on the ARPANET and EIN.

Dave

hrp@windsor.CRAY.COM (Hal Peterson) (02/12/88)

Bob,

You are correct and I was being too flip with my wording: the tests
are indeed quickly RUN.  What I meant to say is that it takes a long
time TO BE ABLE TO RUN the tests, because of the time necessary to
develop a ``remote driver'' program to run on the machine under test.
[The remote driver sits on top of the protocol under test and responds
to commands and data from the central test site, opening and closing
connections, echoing data, and so forth.]  Our experience indicates
that anyone who wants to run these tests should allocate several
people and several months to the task.  On a machine for which remote
drivers are available, that time would be shortened to a couple of
weeks for one person.

We've been at this for a year and a half now and we have yet to run
all of the tests.  This has happened for a number of reasons:  some
are unique to Cray, some are political, and some are a result of
working with a system in progress, whose specifications have been
changing while we work.  I am still convinced that our time is being
well spent, that this is a worthy effort, and that users of the
production version of the test suite will have a much easier time of
it than we have.

--
Hal Peterson / Cray Research / 1440 Northland Dr. / Mendota Hts, MN  55120
hrp%hall.CRAY.COM@umn-rei-uc.ARPA	ihnp4!cray!hrp	    (612) 681-3145

CLYNN@G.BBN.COM (02/13/88)

Bob,
	Could you summarize the sorts of problems that the testing suite
has found?  I think that the list of "common" bugs, maybe sorted in
order of decreasing frequency, would be helpful both to those who are
doing implementations and to those who are trying to make the specs
clearer.

Charlie

JFISHER@USGSRESV.BITNET (James R. Fisher) (02/13/88)

My eyebrows recently raised on seeing reference to the NSFnet Medal for
implementations.
We are thinking of joining NSFnet and I would VERY much like to hear of
known defects and perceived problems with NSFnet, AND of any implementations
which are worthy of the Medal. Flames welcome.

bobj@MCL.UNISYS.COM (Bob Jones) (02/16/88)

Hal,  thanks for comments.  I am hoping some industrious laboratory
will offer the remote drivers in some generic for that can be quickly
adapted to any machine environ (with generic hooks?). If it will be
of any comfort to you, we are at a point where all of the specs are
firm now.  Thanks to you, we have learned a lot and your persistence
has helped us to debug our test system in the process.  Cray deserves
a hand!

bobj