[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] "Guidelines to write Subjects"

ras@blade.UUCP (R.A. Schnitzler) (02/18/88)

Of course the biggest problem with this is one we already face.  Most
messages on most (unmoderated) groups are followups.  More
specifically, for most postings, people do not do a thing to the
subject line, resulting in obsolete or uninformative subjects.  This
coding scheme would in practice, then, refer to the original message,
not necessarily the current one.

Also, I would have much preferred this topic coming up as a suggestion
("What do people think about...?" rather than an autocratic decree
"Please follow the guidelines below...."  I also resented the
implication that strict adherence to these guidelines had a direct
relationship to the intelligence of a posting.

Perhaps I missed some earlier postings that might have given a more
polite motivation to this decree.

--

"It's worse than that,			Ray Schnitzler
   it's physics, Jim"			Bell Communication Research

bzs@BU-CS.BU.EDU (02/18/88)

Actually, I preferred the evil little editings in the political
flamage groups on USENET where subject lines like "Re: Urine testing"
became "Re: Urine tasting" and got bounced back and forth blindly...

bc@halley.UUCP (Bill Crews) (02/21/88)

In article <958@blade.UUCP> ras@blade.UUCP (R.A. Schnitzler) writes:
>Of course the biggest problem with this is one we already face.  Most
>messages on most (unmoderated) groups are followups.  More
>specifically, for most postings, people do not do a thing to the
>subject line, resulting in obsolete or uninformative subjects.  This
>coding scheme would in practice, then, refer to the original message,
>not necessarily the current one.

This discussion is all very informative, I guess, but I wonder who had the
eNORmous imagination to choose comp.protocols.tcp-ip for this subject.  A bad
choice of newsgroup FAR outweighs any consideration of exact syntax.

People, let us just let this drop.  If someone must discuss this, how about
news.misc or somewhere like that?  Please do not follow up to this message.
Over and out.

-bc
--
Bill Crews                                   Tandem Computers
bc@halley.UUCP                               Austin, Texas