[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Forwarded: Message of 23-Feb-88 15:27:07

neerma@COD.NOSC.MIL (Merle A. Neer) (02/24/88)

-------
Forwarded mail follows:
From Mailer@SRI-NIC.ARPA Tue Feb 23 15:30:50 1988
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 88 15:28:48 PST
From: The Mailer Daemon <Mailer@SRI-NIC.ARPA>
To: neerma
Subject: Message of 23-Feb-88 15:27:07

Message failed for the following:
tcp-ip-RELAY@SRI-NIC.ARPA: No such directory name
	    ------------
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 88 15:28:44 PST
From: neerma@cod.nosc.mil (Merle A. Neer)
To: tcp-ip-RELAY@sri-nic.arpa
Cc: tcp-ip@sri-nic.arpa
Subject: Re: Link level Ethernet bridges

In our own experience in a similar configuration we
discovered that some segments have more errors occurring
on them.  In turn some hosts are less tolerant of errors
and refused to talk over a 'corrupted' cable.

I dont know if this is your problem but you might look
at the local ether segment to see if some transcievers
have been installed improperly etc.

As I mentioned we had a similar problem in that some
hosts could not communicate throught a bridge yet
could talk to each other if they were on a local cable.
When we moved these particular hosts to a new cable
they were ok.

What can I say..it worked!

Merle.
neerma at nosc