[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Another example of the joys of BITNET mail

A.Eric@GSB-WHY.STANFORD.EDU (Eric M. Berg) (03/12/88)

[Extracted from a recent digest posted to the TeXhax mailing list...]

Date: 21 Feb 88
From: Malcolm
Subject: Immoderate notes: brief pause in texhax; issue 17 sliced up

%%% Issue 17 was sliced in half by some unkind IBM systems using SMTP. Glenn
%%% Vanderburg informs me that the reason was a line that was longer than
%%% 80 columns got wrapped, which resulted in the next line beginning with
%%% a period.  SMTP though that this meant it was about to get a command. So
%%% it went through the remainder of the digest, looking for a command, which
%%% of course it didn't find -- only more TeXhax.

-------

droms@BKNLVMS.BITNET (03/12/88)

> %%% Issue 17 was sliced in half by some unkind IBM systems using SMTP. Glenn
> %%% Vanderburg informs me that the reason was a line that was longer than
> %%% 80 columns got wrapped, ...

If the moderator would only submit tex-hax on a deck of punch cards, (rather
than these new-fangled "disk files"), BITNET would be perfectly happy.

Oh, and make sure you refrain from using those "tab" characters, whatever
*they* are...

- Ralph Droms
  Bucknell University
  (coming to you live from bknlvms.*bitnet*)