[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] remote broadcasts

peha@SPAM.ISTC.SRI.COM (Jon Peha) (03/09/88)

Can any one tell me any thing about "remote broadcasts"
in TCP/IP.  By that I mean having a packet broadcast on
a network other than the one to which you are directly
attached.  I am quite aware of the dangers of such packets.
One caused a broadcast storm on our ethernet effectively
bring down the net.  As far as I know there is no defence
against one of these packets coming in from the Internet.
On the other hand, if the packet were a UDP packet that
did not engender a response (i.e. network monitoring info,
routing tables, etc.), it could be a valuble tool, which may
even prove useful in some of my present work.  Is there any
attempt in the Internet to regulate or block such packets.
If so, where and how?  If not, has any one considered it?  I would
think that if there is any control over remote broadcasts,
it must take place in the gateway attached to the destination
network, but perhaps the overhead would be too great.

Jon Peha

deering@PESCADERO.STANFORD.EDU (Steve Deering) (03/09/88)

Jon,

Concerning "remote broadcast" (also known as "directed broadcast"), you
wrote:

	I am quite aware of the dangers of such packets.
	One caused a broadcast storm on our ethernet effectively
	bring down the net.  As far as I know there is no defence
	against one of these packets coming in from the Internet.

Could you explain in more detail what that one broadcast packet contained
that effectively brought down your network, and why the fact that it came
from another network was significant?  I realize that there are lots of
bugs out there in the way hosts handle broadcasts (and multicasts), but
surely it's time to fix the bugs and make our hosts a little more robust
in the face of unwanted packets, rather than imposing arbitrary gateway
controls to protect the hosts from their own stupidity.  As you observed,
multi-destination datagrams can be a valuable tool; rather than imposing
gateway controls, I suggest that the right defence is:

	1) Fix hosts to ignore (i.e., silently discard) packets that
	   they are not equiped to handle properly.

	2) Insist on the use of multicast, rather than broadcast, so
	   that unwanted packets can be ignored efficiently.

Steve Deering

Mills@UDEL.EDU (03/09/88)

Jon,

I thought it would be cute if the fuzzball implementation exploded
letter bombs to the broadcast address and they do that. Great fun and
a good headscratcher to figure out what happens when you do that
to a bunch of TCPs. However, it sure turned out to be a Real Bad
Idea to allow that to happen past a gateway. Thus, the fuzzballs
carefully nuke any broadcast-apparent packet that attempts to
transit from one net to another. See RFC-1009.

Dave

eshop@saturn.ucsc.edu (Jim Warner) (03/09/88)

There is no guarantee that any particular (sub)net that you're
sending to supports broadcasting.  This topic is discussed
in RFC1009, mostly in appendix A.  Briefly, the local gateway
may forward a "directed broadcast datagram", but not through
the interface that it came in.  A local gateway is permitted
to black hole a directed broadcast.  Presumably, there should
be a software switch.

It may be useful to remember that intermediate gateways may
not be able to determine if a particular IP address is a broadcast
address unless they know the local subnet mask.  Thus disgarding
directed broadcasts is always done by the gateway guarding the
destination net.

In article <88.03.08.2044.910@pescadero.stanford.edu> deering@PESCADERO.STANFORD.EDU (Steve Deering) writes:
>Could you explain in more detail what that one broadcast packet contained
>that effectively brought down your network, and why the fact that it came
>from another network was significant?

I don't know what the original poster's answer will be, but my answer
to this is that one generally has some control over the systems on the
local net.  If they start abusing broadcasts we can remove the
programs that are causing trouble.  But if broadcasts can come from
anywhere there's not much that you can do to prevent them, and instead
you must defend against them.  While it is a good idea for systems to
be resilient, it's also harder to implement.

Barry Margolin
Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar@think.com
uunet!think!barmar

brunner@SPAM.ISTC.SRI.COM (Thomas Eric Brunner) (03/14/88)

Steve, Jon, list,

	Jon wrote that a directed broadcast "caused a broadcast storm
on our ethernet effectively bring down the net." In the 18 months that
I've had a largish part of SRINET to watch, storms have come and gone
due to local broadcast address mismatches, and broken cable. I have on
occasion seen directed broadcasts, which didn't do as Jon describes -
trigger a broadcast storm.
	...I've just spoken to Jon, it appears that the directed broadcasts
I saw here (SRI) from UCSC some many moons ago, were mentioned to him
by our hardware facility manager as the/a cause of one-or-more of our
network failures in the winter. This is wrong, so I'll make the informational
corrections locally. Unless anyone has anything else to add, the "directed
causes network meltdowns" discussion is at its end.

Eric