[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] IP options crash our Sun gateway

oconnor@SCCGATE.SCC.COM (Michael J. O'Connor) (03/16/88)

When our stock SMI DDN gateway attempted to forward IP-grams containing RR or
LSRR options, it would crash.  Our box is a 3/260 running SOS 3.5 and acts as
a gateway between our local ethernet-based network and the ARPANET.  We have
only been able to test this behavior on outgoing packets, but if we are correct
in our diagnosis, the problem should occur when the box attempts to forward any
IP-option bearing packets in either direction.

According to the engineer assigned to our service request, Sun has assigned the
problem bug number 1008944 but will not supply a fix for 3.n SOS.  He stated
that the problem should be fixed in 4.0 SOS which will be distributed later in
1988.

Based on a report from Allison Mankin of MITRE, that the crashing is caused by
a previously reported typo in ip_stripoption(), I have patched our binary in an
attempt to reverse the effects of the typo.  The patch has been working now for
a little over 2 weeks.  Working in the sense that our machine no longer crashes
when forwarding IPgrams which contain options.  I have yet to verify what is
going out the other interface.

If anyone else is affected by this, and the legal boys allow it, I am willing
to supply the binary patch.  It only consists of modifying a register value
in 2 consecutive instructions.

			Mike

kwe@bu-cs.BU.EDU (kwe@bu-it.bu.edu (Kent W. England)) (03/18/88)

In article <8803151852.AA12900@sccgate.scc.com> oconnor@SCCGATE.SCC.COM (Michael J. O'Connor) writes:
>When our stock SMI DDN gateway attempted to forward IP-grams containing RR or
>LSRR options, it would crash.  Our box is a 3/260 running SOS 3.5 and acts as
>a gateway between our local ethernet-based network and the ARPANET.
>
>Based on a report from Allison Mankin of MITRE, that the crashing is caused by
>a previously reported typo in ip_stripoption(), I have patched our binary in an
>attempt to reverse the effects of the typo.  The patch has been working now for
>a little over 2 weeks.

	It seems that IP RR and LSRR options will crash a lot of
gateways.  I would like to hear from others how widespread the
problem is (other known implementation failures) and what they think
the utility of RR and LSRR is for debugging and network management.
	Seems to me that record route and loose source routing options
would be extremely useful for checking router tables without actually
doing a netstat or equivalent.  However, if there are too many routers
that crash or don't record themselves or follow the route request,
then such an option is unusable.
	I have never read a conversation on this in tcp-ip.  Anyone
able to make use of IP route options?  If so, how useful is it?

oconnor@SCCGATE.SCC.COM (Michael J. O'Connor) (03/19/88)

Maybe I should have worded it differently.  It's my contention that a Sun
gateway running a version of SOS earlier than 4.0 can crash when it attempts
to forward any option bearing datagram not just the record route types.  The
only option generating software that I have access to is the Ping with RR and
LSRR which was described in this forum a month or so ago.  People were crashing
our gateway every time they tried to send one of those packets through our SMI
box.
	Excuse my pontificating, but it is the presence of IP-options that is
optional not the implementation.  I don't have a copy of the Mil-Std handy but
my copy of the RFC states "Every internet module must be able to act on every
option."  I just don't think that crashing was the act that the authors had in
mind.
	The part that still irritates me is SMI's attitude that this is a bug
that I should be able to live with until they release SOS 4.0.  On top of that
there is the rumor that the Sunlink DDN package will not be updated until well
after the 4.0 release.  If true, that means our gateway will be the last machine
upgradable to SOS 4.0.

				Mike

S72TDAN@TOWSONVX.BITNET (DAN) (03/19/88)

I'M NOT TOO SURE ON HOW TO SEND A MAIL MESSAGE SO I'M DOING IT THIS WAY.

        PLEASE UNSUSCRIBE ME FROM LIST TCP-IP.

cpw%sneezy@LANL.GOV (C. Philip Wood) (03/19/88)

I have found IP options and ICMP functions useful.  I also feel that if
they crash gateways, then the gateway should be replaced darned quick.
I also think that users planning on joining or doing an Internet should
become familiar with RFC1009 which explicitly states that Record Route,
Loose and Strict Source Route,among the others, are required for gateways.

OPTION does not mean its up to the discretion of the Vendor, only that it
may or may not be in an IP header!

We are planning to use the IP Security Option, or son of ...  You bet the
IP options are important.  A vendor who's product does not work correctly
will not be looked on kindly from here.

cornett philip wood  (cpw@lanl.gov)

Los Alamos National Laboratory

GRAVES@MATHOM.CISCO.COM (Bill Graves) (03/19/88)

IP options are not optional for IP Gateways!
-------