[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] ARP hardware field

doug@wbcs.UUCP (Doug Kratky) (03/10/88)

What does a 2 value in the hardware field of ARP (ar_hrd)
represent? Does anyone have a list of the different values
that are valid for the hardware field and the types of
hardware they correspond to?

romkey@kaos.UUCP (John Romkey) (03/11/88)

In article <117@wbcs.UUCP> doug@wbcs.UUCP (Doug Kratky) writes:
>What does a 2 value in the hardware field of ARP (ar_hrd)
>represent? Does anyone have a list of the different values
>that are valid for the hardware field and the types of
>hardware they correspond to?

Check the most recent version of the Assigned Numbers RFC (1010, I think).
And the winner is...3Mb/sec ethernet...
--
			- john romkey
		...harvard!spdcc!kaos!romkey

thompson@dalcs.UUCP (Michael A. Thompson) (03/14/88)

In article <117@wbcs.UUCP> doug@wbcs.UUCP (Doug Kratky) writes:
>What does a 2 value in the hardware field of ARP (ar_hrd)
>represent? Does anyone have a list of the different values
>that are valid for the hardware field and the types of
>hardware they correspond to?
	The following is extracted from rfc1010:
                 ADDRESS RESOLUTION PROTOCOL PARAMETERS

   The Address Resolution Protocol (ARP) specified in RFC 826 [64] has
   several parameters.  The assigned values for these parameters are
   listed here.

   Assignments:

      Operation Code (op)

         1   REQUEST
         2   REPLY

      Hardware Type (hrd)

         Type   Description                                   References
         ----   -----------                                   ----------
           1    Ethernet (10Mb)                                    [JBP]
           2    Experimental Ethernet (3Mb)                        [JBP]
           3    Amateur Radio AX.25                                [PXK]
           4    Proteon ProNET Token Ring                          [JBP]
           5    Chaos                                              [GXP]
           6    IEEE 802 Networks                                  [JBP]
           7    ARCNET                                             [JBP]

      Protocol Type (pro)

         Use the same codes as listed in the section called "Ethernet
         Numbers of Interest" (all hardware types use this code set for
         the protocol type).

--
Michael A. Thompson, Dept. Math, Stats, & C.S., Dalhousie U., Halifax, N.S.
thompson@dalcs.uucp	From Bitnet or Uucp

nancy@ftp.COM (Nancy Connor) (03/16/88)

Posting-Front-End: GNU Emacs 18.47.2 of Thu Aug 13 1987 on ftp (berkeley-unix)

Michael Thompson writes:

      Protocol Type (pro)

         Use the same codes as listed in the section called "Ethernet
         Numbers of Interest" (all hardware types use this code set for
         the protocol type).

I don't believe that this is true.  I know that Proteon uses a
different set of codes from the Ethernet list I sent out a while ago.

	-Nancy Connor
	FTP Software
	... !harvard!spdcc!ftp!nancy
	nancy@ftp.com

thompson@dalcs.UUCP (Michael A. Thompson) (03/22/88)

In article <135@ftp.COM> nancy@ftp.COM (Nancy Connor) writes:
>I don't believe that this is true.  I know that Proteon uses a
>different set of codes from the Ethernet list I sent out a while ago.

	Does this make Proteon non-standard? I was quoting from rfc1010, and I
must admit some confusion over the status of rfc's, I know that rfc stands for
Request For Comment, but everyone seems to treat them as standards, so what
are they? Standards or Drafts of proposed standards, and if they are drafts
what are the final standards (if any exist) called?
--

dab@ALLSPICE.LCS.MIT.EDU (03/24/88)

	    Does this make Proteon non-standard? I was quoting from rfc1010,
    and I must admit some confusion over the status of rfc's, I know that rfc
    stands for Request For Comment, but everyone seems to treat them as
    standards, so what are they? Standards or Drafts of proposed standards,
    and if they are drafts what are the final standards (if any exist) called?

The confusion comes from the fact that Assigned Numbers (RFC1010) and the
ARP RFC (RFC826) say slightly differing things.  Assigned numbers says that
protocol types are taken from the list of ethernet protocol types (as you
quoted).  The ARP RFC says (last paragraph on page 5):

"Generalization:  The ar$hrd and the ar$hln fields allow this protocol
and packet format to be used for non-10Mbit Ethernets.  For the
10Mbit Ethernet <ar$hrd, ar$hln> takes on the value <1, 6>.  For
other hardware networks, the ar$pro field may no longer
correspond to the Ethernet type field, but it should be
associated with the protocol whose address resolution is being
sought."

The people who implemented ARP for the ProNet-10 (CMU I believe)
implemented it from the ARP RFC instead of from Assigned Numbers.  They
therefore used protocol numbers from the protocol type field used on the
ProNet-10.

In a recent conversation with Postel and Reynolds, I was informed that
Assigned Numbers is now correct and all future implementations should use
Ethernet protocol types.
					David Bridgham

CERF@A.ISI.EDU (03/27/88)

Mr. Thompson,

You may already have received other replies on the "status of RFCs" but
just in case... These are indeed Requests for Comment. Only a few of
the RFCs are adopted as Internet Standards; those that are will be
identified by Jon Postel on the instruction of the Internet Activities
Board which is chaired by Dave Clark (MIT Lab for Computer Science).

There is an official documents list which is published as an RFC and
updated periodically by Jon Postel. Perhaps Jon will be good enough
to remind us of the RFC number of the most recent of these summaries.

Vint Cerf