[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Accounting

mckenzie@LABS-N.BBN.COM (Alex McKenzie) (04/18/88)

Jack and Barry have both said it right; a charging mechanism (tariff) is more
than the rules for collecting money - it is also the concrete specification of
a policy (and the only policy statement that really counts).  Policies can be
made to encourage or discourage connection to a network, encourage or
discourage use of a network, or favor some classes of users over others.  A
proposed tariff has to be examined to see whether it supports or contradicts
other "statements" of policy.  For example, when DCA took over the ARPANET from
ARPA in the mid-70's they adopted a "per-port" tariff because it was simple and
predictable.  The instantaneous response of the user community was the
invention of a class of devices called "port expanders" which had no logical
justification other than local cost minimization under the tariff, with a
negative side-effect of making troubleshooting harder.  Those are the kinds of
effects which the folks formulating a tariff must be sensitive to.  For every
proposed tariff someone should ask, "If I had to pay according to this tariff,
what would I do to minimize my own cost?" If we don't like the answer, the
tariff should not be implemented.

Alex

CERF@A.ISI.EDU (04/18/88)

Alex,

I disagree with your assertion that the port expander was motivated by
the per-port tariff on DDN/ARPANET. In fact, it was motivated by the fact that
an IMP could only support 4 host ports at the time and we needed more
connections but could not afford to pay for an entire IMP (the cost per
port for a 4 port IMP was high; now IMPs can support many more ports
at less cost per port).

Vint

CERF@A.ISI.EDU (04/18/88)

Addendum:

It was CAPITAL cost, not operational cost, that motivated the port expander,
in case it wasn't clear in my earlier response.

Vint

WANCHO@SIMTEL20.ARPA ("Frank J. Wancho") (04/19/88)

Last year I sent out a message outlining the pitfalls and problems
with the per-packet chargeback algorithm to be levied on the MILNET
hosts and gateways.  No response at that time.  Since then, the
ARPANET Lives message came out, hinting at the imposition of similar
charges for ARPANET hosts, followed recently by Bill Barnes' query.
That combination must have triggered a sympathetic reaction.

Let me point out several points to ponder:

1.  Unlike the ARPANET, the MILNET backbone users have been offered
not one single carrot/reason for the charges, such as the promise of
an improved, high-speed backbone.  The ONLY reason is to divide the
EXISTING cost of the MILNET backbone among the services based on the
usage by each service.  (Service means Army, Navy, Air Force, etc.)

2.  The mods to the PSN software have been in-place for over a year
with delayed monthly charge reports being produced as a paper exercise
only to check for accuracy and format.  All that is required at this
point to implement the scheme is the declaration of the date on which
the paper charges become real.  It would then be up to each service to
pay the bills, possibly going back to charge each facility connected
to the backbone - the reports are supplied at that level.  I suspect
that the effort to change the rates charged would be trivial as that
would be a post-processing change.  But, the effort required to change
the underlying traffic collection algorithm would certainly be
non-trivial at this point.

3.  The algorithm itself is flawed (in my opinion): it is based on
charges only for outgoing packets, and TAC access (including connect
time, not just packet charges - in BOTH directions).  That severely
penalizes hosts which act as mailing list distribution points, those
which offer anonymous ftp access, and those which allow telnet access,
particularly from TACs.

4.  Geoff is right.  Given the rates and charging algorithm, we will
find expedient solutions: shut down our mailing list redistributions,
disallow all ftp and telnet access, including outgoing ftp and telnet,
and move off the backbone...

To answer Bill's query: the network applications programs on the hosts
connected directly or indirectly to the corporate gateway(s) would
have to tag each outgoing packet with a cost center code which is then
counted and stripped at the gateway(s) prior to entering the backbone.
I know it's absurd, but that is the "correct" method to keep the bean
counters happy.

--Frank

david@elroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (David Robinson) (04/20/88)

In article <WANCHO.12391659408.BABYL@SIMTEL20.ARPA>, WANCHO@SIMTEL20.ARPA ("Frank J. Wancho") writes:
> 3.  The algorithm itself is flawed (in my opinion): it is based on
> charges only for outgoing packets, and TAC access (including connect
> time, not just packet charges - in BOTH directions).  That severely
> penalizes hosts which act as mailing list distribution points, those
> which offer anonymous ftp access, and those which allow telnet access,
> particularly from TACs.

This offers interesting accounting problems for sites that serve as a gateway
for other organizations and networks.  The number of networks that are
gatewayed through a particular organization is growing.  How will
NSFnet and CSnet handle the chargebacks to their users?  Same for
Bitnet mail relays.  I can see the unfortunate situations where these
other networks shut off external Mail and FTP access to the Internet.
Also how does one charge back between Arpanet and Milnet?  Will the
long hinted seperation of the nets by the mailbridges be put into effect?
--
	David Robinson		elroy!david@csvax.caltech.edu     ARPA
				david@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov	  ARPA