[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Simple Cost Accounting Policy

kwe@bu-cs.BU.EDU (kwe@bu-it.bu.edu (Kent W. England)) (04/29/88)

	All this talk about problems and issues that would happen if
cost recovery just starts up ad-hoc proves that a straightforward
attempt to implement cost recovery piecemeal will fail.
	I would think that one place to start in coming up with
something reasonable for a campus/regional/backbone hierarchical model
would be to look at the network management data in the Management
Information Base (MIB).  IpPktsIn, IpPktsOut, TcpPktsIn, etc.  I don't
think usage charges should get any more complicated than that for
LAN/internet traffic.  If the jvnc-net people sent me a bill for $xxx
per month line charge for my 56kbps link and $yyy per thousand
IpPktsIn/IpPktsOut I could check that against what my router tells me
went in/out that interface.  I could set up the same kind of billing
per k of IpPkts for my local Ethernets if I wanted.  I really don't
think it should get any more complex than that.
	Even this simple scheme has problems.  What if BITnet and
jvncnet have vastly different charging schemes?  What if jvncnet and
the nsfnet backbone have different schemes?  What if jvncnet wants to
bill me for traffic that goes onto the backbone?  How will they
measure that?  How will I verify or understand charges like that?
There have to be simple rules for collecting traffic information and
collecting charges at limited specific points in the network.  I don't
see how it will work unless the campus nets, the regionals, and the
backbones all have similar models for collecting money.  Services like
the backbone should charge the regionals only and the regionals pass
on charges to the campus LANs without trying to account for individual
packets as they traverse nets.  Trying to differentiate intra-regional
from inter-regional (sound like intraLATA vs interLATA? :-) would be
too complicated to do at first.  Point is, it has to be coordinated
among the various nets or we have games being played where traffic
seeks the least literal cost route and not most effective transport
route.  Keep it simple.

	Kent England, Boston University

steve@NOTE.NSF.GOV (Stephen Wolff) (04/29/88)

The NSFNET backbone will be directly funded by NSF.  -s

heker@JVNCA.CSC.ORG (Sergio Heker) (04/29/88)

Kent,

You have made two valid points here that should be differenciated,
one is how to charge (fix cost versus measured traffic cost), second
is consistency among all the mid-level networks (i.e. JVNCNet) and
the backbone networks (i.e. NSFNET).  On the first point you have to
cover your costs whether you charge for measured traffic or fix cost.
The problem with measured traffic is that: (1) we have to further agree
among all the other networks administrations what parameters to use
in the charging model, (2) the implementation can become "expensive"
to accomplish from the bandwidth and cpu point of view.  Thus I suggest
the fix cost depending on line bandwidth (as I recall Craig Partridge
suggested this before).  These costs have to: (1) cover the operational
costs of the network, and (2) be consistent among other networks.
All this can be worked on, with the exception that this assumes one
type of user (i.e. University), what about if the user of the network
is a researcher working for a profit making organization?, shall he pay
the same as a researcher working for a University?.  The networks
then have to get into an aggreement that is consistent, and take all
these issues in consideration.

As a point of information, there is a task force whithin the Federation
of American Research Networks (FARnet), working on this issue right
now.

					-- Sergio

Sergio Heker				tel:	(609) 520-2000
Internet: "heker@jvnca.csc.org"		Bitnet:	"heker@jvnc"
JOHN VON NEUMANN NATIONAL SUPERCOMPUTER CENTER, JVNCnet Network Manager

bernhold@qtp.ufl.edu (David E. Bernholdt) (05/02/88)

In article <8804291239.AA21630@jvnca.csc.org> heker@JVNCA.CSC.ORG (Sergio Heker) writes:
>Thus I suggest
>the fix cost depending on line bandwidth (as I recall Craig Partridge
>suggested this before).

It seems to me that in the long run this is going to be a problem.  If
sites are charged based on the bandwidth of their connection to the
net, most bean-counters aren't likely to be overly generous with the
capacity they are willing to fund.  Then nobody is going to have the
bandwidth for any more than their own usage & nobody will be willing to
sacrifice their much-needed bandwidth to pass somebody else's packets
on to another destination.  And very quickly the net looses its
usefulness.

Is my view overly simplistic or too pessimistic (sp?)??
Dave

--
David Bernholdt			Internet: bernhold@orange.qtp.ufl.edu
Quantum Theory Project		BITnet:   bernhold@ufpine.bitnet