[net.jobs] age discrimination in the U.S.

gnu@l5.uucp (John Gilmore) (09/21/85)

In article <2029@amdahl.UUCP>, dss00@amdahl.UUCP (dss00) writes:
> What brought legislations against age discrimination in the U.S.
> (I think), was the practice of getting rid of older workers, who
> were paid higher, needed more time off (presumably due to added
> family responsibilities and/or poorer health) compared to the
> younger lot, and probably likely closer to retirement (thus
> costing the company in retirement benefits).

This is true.  I once tried to get some support from the government
because I felt I was being discriminated against because of my youth.
(I think it was a job with a minimum age of 25.)  The federal types
laughed in my face, saying "Those laws are to protect old people from
forced retirement".  No matter how the laws are *written*, the jerks
enforcing them really determine the effect.