[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] The ultimate solution to the packet chargeback problem

earle@mahendo.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Greg Earle) (05/08/88)

In article <[A.ISI.EDU]29-Apr-88.18:15:38.CERF> cerf@a.ISI.EDU writes:
>The accounting issue comes up for two reasons: the MILNET operation folks
>need to allocate costs among the users of MILNET and the general growth
>of the Internet infrastructure can't be supported solely on government
>subsidy in today's climate.

I say add an extra MX missile or two to the military's budget request for each
year, but instead funnel the money to AT&T et al. to pay for all the
ARPANET & MILNET network links.  That way we don't need chargeback, the
government can subsidize it, and I'll feel just an epsilon better about where
my tax dollars went.  Without politicizing the argument, there is so much
waste of government money in the military-industrial complex that I don't
see how anyone in the government could complain about having to subsidize
these networks, which are a sterling example of non-wasted monies buying
such virtuousness  :-)  I mean, how many months of a 56 Kb line could be
paid for with the price of an Air Force plane toilet seat?

There.  That was easy, now wasn't it?

[ BTW: :-) ]
--
	Greg Earle		earle@mahendo.JPL.NASA.GOV
	Indep. Sun consultant	earle%mahendo@jpl-elroy.ARPA	[aka:]

karn@thumper.bellcore.com (Phil R. Karn) (05/10/88)

> ...  Without politicizing the argument, there is so much
> waste of government money in the military-industrial complex that I don't
> see how anyone in the government could complain about having to subsidize
> these networks...

You don't understand how bureaucrats work. When faced with a budget
crunch, they do NOT respond by trimming the most wasteful expenditures
first. Rather, they immediately zero in on the most visible, efficient,
essential and popular programs, hoping that the resulting public
backlash will pressure the legislators into restoring their original
budget.

This is a standard ploy at all levels of government.

Phil