[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Davidson's book vs. Comer's book

forrest@LBL.GOV (05/12/88)

I recently read both books, starting off as a complete novice. As I recall,
the introduction to Davidson's book states that the book used to be a
document that was distributed to marketing and sales people so that they'd
have some idea what all the buzz words mean (my interpretation). With this
as a goal the book is OK. But, I wanted a more in depth study of TCP/IP which
is why I turned to Comer's book. Comer's book is MUCH better although some
of the chapters (specifically those dealing with routing) didn't feel right.
This is probably my fault and I intend to reread the whole book a second time.

For the time being, Comer's book is the only entry in the race for the
perfect TCP/IP book. Anyone new to TCP/IP, or anyone who wants to fill in
holes in their knowledge would benefit greatly from reading it. I know I did.

By the way, on page 40, the second high order bit on a class C address is
shown incorrectly in Figure 4.1 (this was pointed out to me by someone else).
I've submitted this type to the tcp-typos account.

Jon Forrest
Lawrence Berkeley Lab.
FORREST@LBL.GOV

kwe@bu-cs.BU.EDU (kwe@bu-it.bu.edu (Kent W. England)) (05/14/88)

In article <880512092448.2260d215@Csa4.LBL.Gov> forrest@LBL.GOV writes:
>is why I turned to Comer's book. Comer's book is MUCH better although some
>of the chapters (specifically those dealing with routing) didn't feel right.
>This is probably my fault and I intend to reread the whole book a second time.

No, I felt the same way.  The chapter on routing is too brief and left
me wanting more.  We need still one more book that tackles some of the
issues Comer left too briefly treated.  Maybe it's too soon.  For now,
it's back to the RFCs and IDEAs.

	Kent England, Boston University

philipp@LARRY.MCRCIM.MCGILL.EDU (Philip A. Prindeville) (05/17/88)

>>is why I turned to Comer's book. Comer's book is MUCH better although some
>>of the chapters (specifically those dealing with routing) didn't feel right.
>>This is probably my fault and I intend to reread the whole book a second time.

>No, I felt the same way.  The chapter on routing is too brief and left
>me wanting more.  We need still one more book that tackles some of the
>issues Comer left too briefly treated.  Maybe it's too soon.  For now,
>it's back to the RFCs and IDEAs.

I enjoyed Doug's book also, and thought the "Hints to Implementors"
was a great idea (there should be a 10 Most Deadly Sins RFC [like don't
forward MAC broadcast packets, for instance]).  The routing was a little
thin, however.  A novice might not really see the significance of the
extra-hop problem, and the EGP description was too short.  And even
though EGP-3 is still a moving target, a separate chapter about that
(maybe talking about LANDMARK and Dissimilar Gateway Protocol) would
be good.  To be sure, though, it was an very good book.

-Philip

guru@FLORA.WUSTL.EDU (Gurudatta Parulkar) (05/19/88)

>>is why I turned to Comer's book. Comer's book is MUCH better although some
>>of the chapters (specifically those dealing with routing) didn't feel rig
>> [Stuff Deleted]

    >No, I felt the same way.  The chapter on routing is too brief and left
    [Stuff Deleted]

    I enjoyed Doug's book also, and thought the "Hints to Implementors"
    was a great idea (there should be a 10 Most Deadly Sins RFC [like don't
    [Stuff Deleted]

This spring, I used Doug's book as a supplementary text for a computer
networking course (I had a prepublished version) with Stallings book
as the main text. As a supplementary text, it turned out excellent as
students understood the ARPA internet protocols well. However, I am
still not sure if it will be a satisfactory text by itself for a
course because of its lack of treatment of fundamental networking
principles, lack of good exercises, and its treatment of only TCP/IP.

Is anybody planning to use it as the sole text for a course ?

-guru

Dr. Guru Parulkar
Asst Professor             guru@flora.wustl.edu
Dept of Computer Science   parulkar@udel.edu