[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Linking LAN's via Public X.25

duncan@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Duncan McEwan) (05/26/88)

I need to find out what products are available for linking two geographically
remote LAN's via a public x.25 network.

I have advertising glossies for Sun's SunLink X.25 product which seems to
provide the desired facilities, but which leaves some questions unanswered.

From what I can tell SunLink X.25 does allow carrying IP packets from one lan
to another via an x.25 virtual circuit.  What I would like to know is how
transparent this is.  Does one host on the local ip lan (not necessarily the
Sun running SunLink x.25) just ask to send an ip packet to a node on the remote
lan, causing SunLink X.25 to open a VC to transmit the packet?

Assuming this is the way it works, does SunLink multiplex datagrams from
several tcp or udp sources over the one VC, and if so, at what point does it
close the VC?  Are the local and remote lans on different class C ip networks
(I guess they must be to allow packets to be routed to the host with the x.25)?
How are the ip addresses mapped into x.121 addresses?  Finally from an economic
point of view how reasonable is it to send ip over x.25 bearing in mind the
relatively large tcp + ip headers, particularly when you are paying for both
connect time and number of segments sent (a segment is 64 octets, and NZ
telcoms charge for unfilled segments as one full one).

Enough about SunLink x.25 specifically!  Are there any other products (bridges,
routers, other computer vendors x.25 packages) that offer this type of
functionality.  In particular, do HP offer anything similar?  Can one companies
product interoperate with anothers (for example, I believe that the Multinet
IP/TCP package for VMS does/will offer some facility for tcp/ip over x.25 - is
it reasonable to expect a Sun running SunLink x.25 to be able to talk IP with
it).

I think that is enough questions for one article!  Any answers to some or
all of the above will be appreciated.  Answer by email and if there is
any demand I will summarise.

---
Duncan

Domain: duncan@comp.vuw.ac.nz			Path: ...!uunet!vuwcomp!duncan

melohn%sluggo@Sun.COM (Bill Melohn) (05/29/88)

In article <13652@comp.vuw.ac.nz> duncan@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Duncan McEwan) writes:
>From what I can tell SunLink X.25 does allow carrying IP packets from one lan
>to another via an x.25 virtual circuit.  What I would like to know is how
>transparent this is.  Does one host on the local ip lan (not necessarily the
>Sun running SunLink x.25) just ask to send an ip packet to a node on the
>remote lan, causing SunLink X.25 to open a VC to transmit the packet?

The X.25 virtual circuit is treated exactly the same as a dedicated
serial line connecting two IP hosts together. Routing information
about networks on either side of the link is passed across the link
via the standard Unix RIP. In the resulting internet, any host can
access any other host using whatever IP based services are desired
(note, protocols like NFS require some mount parameter tweaking in
order to not timeout over slower, long haul links).

>Assuming this is the way it works, does SunLink multiplex datagrams from
>several tcp or udp sources over the one VC, and if so, at what point does it
>close the VC?  Are the local and remote lans on different class C ip networks
>(I guess they must be to allow packets to be routed to the host with
>the x.25)?  How are the ip addresses mapped into x.121 addresses?
>Finally from an economic point of view how reasonable is it to send ip
>over x.25 bearing in mind the relatively large tcp + ip headers,
>particularly when you are paying for both connect time and number of
>segments sent (a segment is 64 octets, and NZ telcoms charge for
>unfilled segments as one full one).

As explained above, each VC is treated like a virtual point to point
wire connecting each pair of hosts via the public data network. Each
VC used for IP has a network interface associated with it, with an IP
address of its own. An X.25 circuit manager user process is provided,
which establishes the X.25 virtual circuits to each of the remote
hosts based on a config file, and binds the VCs to the IP network
interfaces used by the kernel routing code. The manager attempts to
keep the VCs connected all the time. This can be expensive if you are
paying for connect time, but since processes like the routing daemon
tend to wake up and send information on a regular basis, the IP
circuits tend to stay active even when they aren't actively being used
for user data transfer.

We are investigating ways to make it practical to create X.25 virtual
circuits only when needed for end-user data transfer, while still
maintaining full routing capabilities and connectivity information.
Our implementation of X.25 Standard services does this on the DDN,
where the X.121 to IP address mapping is fixed, and where routing can
be done by use of a default route to, and redirects from, a core
gateway.

karn@thumper.bellcore.com (Phil R. Karn) (06/01/88)

While we have not used Sun's Sunlink-X25 product, we used the CSNET
X25NET software on a VAX and a GTE Telenet X.25 link for some time. Then
we upgraded our Internet membership from Steerage Class to First Class
by junking X25 and getting a direct HDH connection to an ARPANET PSN. So
I think I can make a few general comments from our experiences in
running IP over X.25.

Yes, it works. But the fact that it does reflects more on the
flexibility and robustness of TCP/IP than on any inherent suitability of
X.25 for serious computer networking (as opposed to remote slow speed
terminal multiplexing, which is what X.25 was designed for and actually
does reasonably well).

An IP-on-X.25 gateway is a complex beast, mainly because of X.25's many
gratuitous complexities.  The most obvious is the need to manage
connections. Interfaces usually support only a limited number of them.
Worse, carriers may decide to charge you for keeping them open even if
they're idle. (Fortunately, Telenet doesn't do this. I guess they're
satisfied with the $1500 you pay them every month just to have a 9600
bps host access line to their network. This is exclusive of usage
sensitive packet charges, more about them later).  The usual strategy
here is to keep your list of open connections sorted in order of time of
last use, so you can close the least recently used connection should you
need to open another one.  Timers can also be used to close idle
connections.

Other problems include inherent performance bottlenecks imposed by the
carrier's own interpretation of the X.25 protocol. For example, Telenet
acts as though the "D-bit" (delivery confirmation bit) in each packet is
set. This means that their packet-layer acknowledgements are on an
end-to-end basis. Unfortunately, the packet size is limited to 128
bytes, and the packet layer window is only 2 packets. This means you
can't send more than 256 bytes on any single virtual circuit per network
round trip time. This can severely limit throughput; in our experience
we could seldom use more than 1/4 of the bandwidth of our 9600 bps
access line with any one virtual circuit.

Since almost all of our IP traffic was to one destination (relay.cs.net)
this would have been a serious performance bottleneck except for a
feature in the gateway code that opened multiple, parallel X.25 virtual
circuits to the same destination and dealt outgoing packets to them in
round-robin fashion. Tannenbaum calls this "downward multiplexing"; I
call it a "kludge". (By the way, this feature comes in very handy when
implementing TCP. There's no other Internet path that gives you such a
chance to test your packet resequencing code!).

But wait, there's more! Not only is an X.25 gateway inordinately
complex, but running it can be very expensive. Telenet, as do all X.25
carriers that I'm aware of, charges for each packet sent.  There is a
nighttime discount, but the figures are still quite high. If you examine
the tariffs, you will find that shipping large files over X.25 can be
*very* expensive. In fact, it is considerably cheaper to use one of the
new 9600 bps dialup modems -- as low as HALF the cost of X.25.  Just to
give you an idea, the last month before we dumped it in favor of our
ARPANET connection, our X.25 path to the Internet through Telenet and
relay.cs.net cost us $10,000. And we did NOT run routing packets over
the path. Even a leased line to Cambridge would have been considerably
cheaper.

Based on my own experiences with IP over X.25, one must wonder what they
were smoking down at the Pentagon when the DoD decided to specify X.25
as the standard interface to the DDN.

Phil

jh@tut.fi (Juha Hein{nen) (06/01/88)

SunLink X.25 indeed allows connecting two IP networks over X.25 but it
requires a PVC and cannot dynamically open and close the connection.
You may want to check the Cisco router product that also has the later
capability.
--
	Juha Heinanen, Tampere Univ. of Technology, Finland
	jh@tut.fi (Internet), tut!jh (UUCP), jh@tut (Bitnet)

symchych@SKL-CRC.ARPA (Tim Symchych) (06/03/88)

Perhaps another view of IP over X.25 might help.  While the original
question was asked about Sun X.25, there are a number of networks within the
ARPA/Internet that use IP over X.25.

The experience that Phil Karn described at Bellcore does not describe
our experience in establishing the DRENET and XDRENET here in Canada.
There is no doubt in my mind that some implementations of packet
switching using CCITT X.25 are poor.  We did some testing of various
networks about two years ago including ARPANET (1822 Links), Telenet
in the USA, SATNET, and the public packet switching networks in the
UK and Canada (Datapac).  Packets were timed in some great loops, and
by network segment to allow us to determine level of service over the
various segments.  Generally, the packets through Telenet and SATNET
suffered the most delay. The X.75 gateways didn't seem to work all that
well then either.

I'm not sure that X.25 was designed for slow speed terminal multiplexing.
NO packet switching network works well at that task.

In our own case, use of TCP/IP over X.25 has been shown effective from
both points of view: cost and throughput.  In Canada, we have at least
one first rate X.25 packet switching network.  Through eight years
of using Datapac for applications, including five years of TCP/IP over
X.25, we have found no problems in service or reliability.  By the way,
I don't work for any of the Bell franchises, nor do I own any of their
stock.  I just pay the phone bill.

We have several hosts and gateways that connect LANs using X.25. I
don't agree that X.25 is overly complex, or managing virtual circuits
is a big problem. Our gateways and hosts usually do the work in software
on board level products.  We did some preliminary testing with SunLink
using our hosts and one of their software implementations.  Everything
worked but the Sun stuff has some minor rough edges.  For instance,
the Sun would only allow one virtual circuit between two hosts even
thought our side would allow one per user process. Imagine sharing
your TELNET session with an FTP with each IP packet waiting it turn in
in the X.25 queue.  TELNET over X.25 is bad, but Sun made it worse.  I
hope they worked on that "kludge".

Our tariff structure for communication services is almost the reverse
to that in the U.S.  Our leased lines cost us dearly, but out packet
switching cost much less.  If you look at our telco infrastructure, its
easy to see why.  Our population is spread across the country, and
leased lines are nearly always new services.

In the way of cost and performance, we have this kind of experience:

Rental of 9600 bps X.25 modem with 20 virtual circuits is $390.00 U.S. per
month.
Traffic charges range from $35.00 to $300.00 U.S. per month per X.25 interface
depending on usage and distance.  The later is for about 50MB per month
to a site 1500 miles away using the Datapac cost formula.
On most of our X.25 legs, we get between 50 and 75 per cent of the of the
9600 bps.  But this does depend a great deal on the HOST implementation
of TCP/IP. In contrast, our 9600 bps HDH line gives us about 80 to 85
per cent of the line speed. Our 56 kbps line gives about 20 to 30 percent
of the line speed, but we are not sure that we have hosts at either
end to drive it faster.
To send a 10 MB file across the country, it would cost about $75.00 U.S..
Thats about the same as it would cost to run the data on to a mag new tape
and send it FEDEX.

Some of our sites will be running 19.2 bps X.25 service which will double
the monthly modem cost, and increase throughput but will be limited by
the TCP/IP on the hosts.
We expect that these 19.2 links will get us about 12000 bps or just about
what we get out of our very expensive 56k bps line between our core gateway
and the U. of Rochester. When our core gateway was replaced in Feb/88 with
a Butterfly, the measured throughput went up slightly even though the HDH
interface was replaced with an X.25 interface. I've tried to figure that one
out.

I will be the first to agree that our needs and network structure is
different than Bellcore.  However, I view X.25 packet switches as a low cost
backbone that will allow us to operate until we have sufficient traffic
levels to support leased lines.

If there is a target needing a thumper, it sounds like the implementation
of X.25 in Telenet will do. When it comes to bad implementations of TCP/IP,
the cry is "burn them at the stake".  There are good and bad X.25
implementations, and I recommend burning where it is due.

jon@CS.UCL.AC.UK (Jon Crowcroft) (06/03/88)

 >Perhaps another view of IP over X.25 might help.  While the original
 >question was asked about Sun X.25, there are a number of networks within the
 >ARPA/Internet that use IP over X.25.

another e.g. of IP over X.25 is the UK Academic link to the US,
which has run over IPSS for some years, as leased lines were
rather expensive for the amount of traffic we used to have, and
since the SATNET was mainly reserved for research use.

A lot of interesting work was done on accounting and access
control so that we could forward bills for the IPSS usage to
the UK source of any IP packets on a sensible basis.

Useful reading...

%A R. H. Cole
%T User Experience and Evaluation of International X.25 Services
%J Proc. Telecoms Today Conf.
%I Online
%C London
%D March 1984
%P 107-118
%K X.25 performance

jon

symchych@SKL-CRC.ARPA (Tim Symchych) (06/04/88)

Dan:
Yes, there are still versions of IP around in hosts that
do not perform well.  Regardless of some of the fine work
that has been done in end-to-end performance, we still
use what comes off the shelf, and if the vendors don't
put it out in the product, then we don't have it.  Most of our sites
have no interest in "patch and run" systems for their users.
Many people on this mailing list have covered this problem,
including the problems of mixing speeds on segments of the
path that traverse ethernet, leased lines and non-IP packet
switched nets. Except for ethernet LANS, all our links between
hosts use combinations of different link types.  I guess that
in our case, X.25 is the least of our problems.
Something I forgot to mention is that in our PDN connections
at 9600, we use 256 byte packets with a window size of up to
7 packets. I also received some hints on the 56 kbps X.25
line to our Butterfly from Dave Capshaw at Lockheed.  Seems
that some tuning may be possible between the PSN and the
Butterfly.
regards
tim

MRC@PANDA.PANDA.COM.UUCP (06/05/88)

Dan -

     I'm responsible for one of the TCP/IP implementations used on a
9600 baud link in Canada.  The system is a DEC-2065 running a TOPS-20
with a heavily modified TCP.  It has two IP interfaces; a NIA20 to the
local Ethernet and an AN20 to a C/30 PSN using 1822.

     This TCP lacks RFNM counting which is a serious deficiency, but
in the case of this link it doesn't really matter all that much since
(at least the last I read) there is only one place for the 1822-grams
to go to.  If you're RFNM blocked to the friendly not-so-local gateway,
you can't do anything anyway.

     What makes the burden worse, this machine is the only path between
the local Ethernet (which talks TCP/IP and DECnet) and the rest of the
world.  It has a rudimentary EGP-speaker that babbles updates to Friend
Gateway.

     I've seen no indication of a bottleneck at the DEC-20.  Instead,
it seems to be more that the DEC-20 (and the Symbolics Lisp machines
behind it on the Ethernet) are communicating almost exclusively with
the Internet in the US, across two gateways over a long long wire.
There isn't all that much traffic to begin with, so any latency in a
connection can easily stop the line...because there is no other traffic!

-- Mark --
-------

LAWS@rsre.mod.UK (John Laws, on UK.MOD.RSRE) (06/05/88)

>Perhaps another view of IP over X.25 might help.  While the original
>question was asked about Sun X.25, there are a number of networks within the
>ARPA/Internet that use IP over X.25.

Yet another view. The RSRE Internet Lab connects to two other European
Internet sites (one in Holland and one in Germany) and others internal
to the UK running IP over X.25. Quality of service is good and at
current traffic levels is much cheaper than international/national leased
circuits. The software has been developed to pay attention to the fact
that real money is being spent e.g. virtual circuits close if IP traffic
stops, and of course accounting and access control are well developed.

If national X.25 provision by US carriers is seen as less than adequate,
by US users, maybe its because they (the carriers) do not see it as a
viable commercial market to make a big investment in given the existing
'free' networks like Arpanet, Milnet, NSFnet etc. YES I DO KNOW that
they are not really free - that Government, Academic institutions and
companies make payments. But in many cases the users at the keyboard
are unaware and uncaring of the costs (judged by many of the remarks
in this forum some months ago).

John

roode@orc.olivetti.COM (David Roode) (06/05/88)

There's no question that X.25 packet switching is a service built on
top of point-to-point data circuit (leased line) capability.  The
tariffs in the U.S treat this as a 'value added' service and prohibit
the basic operating companies from competing in the national market.
The Public Data Networks offering packet services have to pay the same
leased line rates as an end-user, both for backbone circuits and for
ties between their switch locations and customer premises.
At the same time, the charges for leased line service are obviously
much cheaper in the U.S. than they are elsewhere.  (It calls for a
judgement, but it seems likely that much in excess of costs is
recovered in the charges for leased line service in Europe.)

As a result, it may be illogical to 'blame' the U.S. Public Data Nets
for their charges.  European PTT's may subsidize their X.25 offerings.
U.S. PDN's see reduced usage volume due to reasonable competition from
leased lines. The main service a PDN provides is the sharing of data
circuits.  So, in the U.S. a smaller fraction of uses see an economic
incentive to share costs by making use of a PDN.  (It takes a smaller
volume of usage to cost justify switching to a leased line in the
U.S.)  The operating efficiency of the U.S. PDN's may be the same or
even higher than the European PTT's in providing PDN service.

It appears the hierarchy in terms of increasing cost for a 2400 baud
data flow is something like:

	leased lines at U.S. typical rates
	Public Data nets at European rates
	Public Data nets at U.S. rates
	leased lines at European rates

For 300 baud data flow, it is something like:

	Public Data nets at European rates
	Public Data nets at U.S. rates
	leased lines at U.S. typical rates
	leased lines at European rates

For 9600 baud data flow, sequence might be:

				    -or-
	leased lines/ U.S. rates	leased lines/ U.S. rates
	Public Data nets/ U.S. rates	Public Data nets/ U.S. rates
	Public Data nets/ Europe rates	leased lines/Europe rates
	leased lines/Europe rates	Public Data nets/ Europe rates