[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Delni blinking lights

kwe@bu-cs.BU.EDU (kwe@bu-it.bu.edu (Kent W. England)) (06/07/88)

In article <8806070434.AA09530@infidel.lanl.gov.ARPA> peter%infidel@LANL.GOV (Peter Ford) writes:
>Some of us still like those blinking lights on our gear and hope
>that they come back in style on all equipment.

	I heartily second that.  One of the interesting things I note
on the new unshielded twisted pair Ethernet gear from Cabletron is a
"Link OK" status light.  I was delighted to hear that Cabletron (and
possibly others) are using a 1 MHz idle "tone" on the circuit to
indicate "continuity" in the link.  This is much better than a simple
power light and should help find swapped pairs and dead circuits.  I
understand that the 802.3 committee is considering standardizing a
"Link OK" idle signal (on UTP and fiber[?]).  I hope they do.

	Never underestimate the power of a little LED.

	Kent England, Boston U