[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Convert /etc/hosts to RR format pgm anyone?

indra@amdcad.AMD.COM (Indra K. Singhal) (06/03/88)

Has anyone put together a program/shell script that converts
/etc/hosts to the standard RR format as specified in the RFCs listed?

Thought I'd ask before I get a coleague to spend time reinventing
it. Thanks !!

--
Indra K. Singhal                      |                                |
{ucbvax,decwrl,allegra}!amdcad!indra  |      This space for rent !     |

KASTEN@MITVMA.MIT.EDU (Frank Kastenholz) (06/09/88)

In article <8805261929.AA04199@RHEA.CAM.UNISYS.COM>, jonab@CAM.UNISYS.COM
(Jonathan P. Biggar) writes:
>>> The TCP URGENT mechanism uses a pointer; I do not think that there
>>> is any specification which says that packet boundaries are
>>> significant with respect to URGENTs.
>> Not so!  RFC 793 states:
>>    If there is urgent data [...].  *****Note that data following
>>    the urgent pointer (non-urgent data) cannot be delivered to the
>>    user in the same buffer with preceeding urgent data unless the
>>    boundary is clearly marked for the user.*****
>
>What does this have to do with packet boundaries?  Jonab said "packet",
>not "user buffer".

This sounds to me like there is some confusion over the meaning of
some of the terms used (which, to the best of my limited knowledge,
have never been fully codified - perhaps an addendum to the Assigned
Numbers RFC is in order - "Assigned Abbreviations and Terms and Their
Meanings").

As I understand things the "hierarchy" of terms in use in the Internet
protocols (among others) are:

FRAME - lowest level of bits/bytes. One speaks of Ethernet Frames, etc
        A FRAME has ONE data link header (e.g. Ethernet header).

FRAGMENT - the thing that IP spits out to the data link driver. Each
           FRAGMENT has ONE IP header. A FRAGMENT may be split into
           multiple FRAMES by the lower layers.

SEGMENT - the thing that TCP spits into IP. Each SEGMENT has one TCP
          header. It may be broken into FRAGMENTS by IP.

Noe things get a little weird.....

DATAGRAM - this is also the 'larger' thing that IP tries to send. A
           DATAGRAM USUALLY has a one to one relationship with a SEGMENT.
           It may be broken up (fragmented) into a number of FRAGMENTS
           by IP before being sent through the data link.

           A DATAGRAM is ALSO what UDP and other "datagram" oriented
           protocols may give to IP for transmission.

PACKET - a generic term that can mean anything at any time - usually its
         meaning is derived from the context, other times by a prefix
         (such as IP PACKET), other times .....

BUFFER - what is passed to TCP/UDP for transmission. Usually. Of course,
         a device driver reads stuff out of the I/O interface into a
         buffer....

These are terms that I use, based on "common usage, the literature, etc"

Frank Kastenholz.

cire@CLASH.CISCO.COM (06/10/88)

>> Date:         Thu, 09 Jun 88 09:33:04 EDT
>> From: Frank Kastenholz <KASTEN@MITVMA.MIT.EDU>
>> Subject:      Re: Convert /etc/hosts to RR format pgm anyone?
>> To: der Mouse <mcgill-vision!mouse@bloom-beacon.mit.edu>
>> Cc: tcp-ip@sri-nic.arpa

Good start!    I've added some corrections to the heirarchy.
It strikes me that this kind of info would be reasonable in an intro
of some kind to IP.

>> This sounds to me like there is some confusion over the meaning of
>> some of the terms used (which, to the best of my limited knowledge,
>> have never been fully codified - perhaps an addendum to the Assigned
>> Numbers RFC is in order - "Assigned Abbreviations and Terms and Their
>> Meanings").

I'd recommend Douglas Comer's book 'Internetworking with TCP/IP, Principals,
Protocols, and Architecture' or Andrew Tanenbaum's book 'Computer Networks'.
Both include a glossary at the back with very succinct definitions of most
everything you mention below.

>> As I understand things the "hierarchy" of terms in use in the Internet
>> protocols (among others) are:

Here is perhaps a better set of definitions:  (some of these are essentially
pulled from Comer's book).

FRAME - The unit of information encapsulated for transmission on physical
	media or network.

FRAGMENT - a unit that the IP layer breaks a DATAGRAM into if necessary
	   for transmission across networks that can not handle the size
	   of the entire DATAGRAM.   A FRAGMENT has essentially the same
	   IP header as the original DATAGRAM.

DATAGRAM - The basic unit of information dealt with by the IP layer.  This
	   is what is sent across the TCP/IP Internet.  It may be broken
	   into FRAGMENTS if a network can not handle the DATAGRAM's size.

SEGMENT - the basic unit that TCP deals with.  A segment consists of a block
	  of bytes that arrive or are sent at one time.  These bytes make up
	  part of stream of bytes.  Information in the segment identifies
	  where in the stream these bytes exist.  A segment will be
	  passed to the IP layer as one or more DATAGRAMS for transmission
	  by that layer.

PACKET - the basic unit of information sent across a packet-switching network.
	 It's exact meaning is dependent upon the context.

BUFFER - an implementation detail that is used for passing blocks of information
	 including DATAGRAMS to the layers for processing.

-c
cire|eric

Eric B. Decker
cisco Systems
Menlo Park, California

email:	cire@cisco.com
uSnail: 1360 Willow Rd.,  Menlo Park, CA  94025
Phone : (415) 326-1941