[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] network unreachable

narten@cs.purdue.EDU (Thomas Narten) (06/13/88)

In article  <2512@mandrill.CWRU.Edu> edguer@mandrill (Aydin Edguer) writes:
>I am trying to understand why certain sites are unreachable from my machine.
>Background:  [...recently joined NSFnet; prior connection via CSNET..]

>Question(s):
> Why would sites which were reachable become unreachable like this?
> Is this due (perhaps) to the dismantling of the ARPAnet which I understand
> is taking place?

No.  Both Purdue and decwrl are still reachable via the ARPANET.

> What can I do to find out why they have become unreachable?

The problem is broken routing tables, and I suspect NSFnet (or its
regionals).

We have been unable to reach net 128.146 (ohio-state) for a week, and
the same is apparently the case for 129.22.  Both of these nets are
reachable from NSFnet sites, but not from us.  Moreover, our butterfly
core gateway has routes for these nets that point to 10.4.0.14
(psc.psc.edu).  Since we can ping psc.psc.edu, I conclude that we are
correctly advertising routes to the core.  In other words, we (Purdue
and ARPANET) are managing routes correctly.

By implication, NSFnet is not correctly propagating all of the routes
it learns from the ARPANET. (Note that for the most part, we can reach
NSFnet sites; only a handful cause trouble.)

> What can I do to try to reach them now that my router has given up?

Contact your regional NOC (if there is one), and if that doesn't help,
call the NSFnet NOC.

The following information would be of help:

1) Do you have a route to get to Purdue (either explicit or default)?
For that matter, do you have routes to other sites that are on the
ARPANET?  Can you ping 10.0.0.37 (purdue's arpanet connection)?

What about 10.4.0.14?  If both of us can ping a common gateway, but
not each other.......

2) Do you get ICMP unreachable messages when attempting to reach the
networks in question?  The best check for this is a 4.3 system with a
modified ping that prints the name of the gateway that generated the
ICMP message.

Alternatively, one can open TCP connection to the host in question.
For instance, "ftp 128.10.2.1" will abort with a "network unreachable"
error if ICMP unreachables are returned; "connection timed out" on the
other hand, indicates that packets are going into a black hole.  This
works on 4.3 BSD (running the latest tcp/ip code) and Sun OS systems.

--
Thomas Narten
narten@cs.purdue.edu or {ucbvax,decvax,ihnp4}!purdue!narten

tom@TUT.CIS.OHIO-STATE.EDU (Tom Easterday) (06/13/88)

  The problem that CWRU and Perdue is experiencing is due to two things.
  As of 6/7/88 the link between PSN 29 here at Ohio State and PSN 21 at
  Pittsburgh was deinstalled.  We switched over to our NSFnet link to PSC
  which is a string of Proteon gateways (one here, one in Cleveland, and
  one in Pittsburgh).  These gateways are running Proteon software rev
  7.4 which has a known bug when using default routes.  PSC is in the
  process (so I've been told) of installing rev 7.4b on these gateways
  which will hopefully clear things up a bit.  I'm counting on it happening
  early this week.  When the Cleveland POP gateway is upgraded CWRU should
  see an improvement.  Maybe Gene Hastings at PSC would like to clarify
  things if something I've said here is incorrect.

Tom Easterday
The Ohio State University
Instruction and Research Computer Center
(614)292-4843
Email: tom@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu
    or tom@oscsuna.osc.ohio-state.edu

karl@triceratops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) (06/13/88)

narten@cs.purdue.EDU writes:
   edguer@mandrill writes:
   >[...Case Western can't get out to the Rest of the World...]
   > What can I do to find out why they have become unreachable?

   The problem is broken routing tables, and I suspect NSFnet (or its
   regionals).
   We have been unable to reach net 128.146 (ohio-state) for a week, and
   By implication, NSFnet is not correctly propagating all of the routes
   it learns from the ARPANET. (Note that for the most part, we can reach
   NSFnet sites; only a handful cause trouble.)

Case Western is behind the same gateway as Ohio State...

The problem is out-of-date software at the gateways in Columbus,
Cleveland, and Pittsburgh, from what the local folks managing the net
connections have told me, resulting in routing glitches in large
quantities and leaving us unable to find lots of places, e.g., I
haven't seen utexas.edu in 8 days.  The expectation/hope is that the
matter will be cleared up within another day or two - an update from
The Vendor is on the way.

What a mess,
--Karl