[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Wanted: Delni

phil@amdcad.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai) (06/07/88)

In article <5398@coherent.com> celeste@coherent.com (Celeste C. Stokely) writes:
>Save yourself a lot of grief and don't buy a Delni. They seems to suffer
>from some of the worst quality control problems I've ever seen. If you get
>a good one, they're great, but it's hard to get a good Delni.

Could you go into more detail on this? How can you tell if your DELNI is bad?

We have used a lot of Cabletron equipment and are very happy with them also.
Mostly transceivers. We started using DELNIs before Cabletron was around
and for lack of any problems directly attributed to them stuck with them.

By coincidence, we are seeing problems in a new building and I wonder if
the DELNIs are the culprit.
--

I speak for myself, not the company.
Phil Ngai, {ucbvax,decwrl,allegra}!amdcad!phil or phil@amd.com

peter%infidel@LANL.GOV (Peter Ford) (06/07/88)

We have a cabletron DELNI clone which is better than the old DELNIs
since it is loaded with lights which have helped in network debugging.
I have found both DELNIs and Cabletron clones to be equally
reliable (haven't seen either fail yet), but I am serious about those lights,
I would buy a Cabletron MT-800 every time.

Some of us still like those blinking lights on our gear and hope
that they come back in style on all equipment.

Peter Ford
Center for Nonlinear Studies
peter@lanl.gov

lyndon@ncc.Nexus.CA (Lyndon Nerenberg) (06/09/88)

In article <8806070434.AA09530@infidel.lanl.gov.ARPA> peter%infidel@LANL.GOV (Peter Ford) writes:
>We have a cabletron DELNI clone which is better than the old DELNIs
>since it is loaded with lights which have helped in network debugging.

[ ... ]

>Some of us still like those blinking lights on our gear and hope
>that they come back in style on all equipment.

Great! My question is: Do you have the rack mounting kit for
the DELNI? Some of us like the lights mounted in the rack where
everyone can see them.

[ Yes, this is a serious question. I'm getting sick of tripping over
  the bundle of cables... ]
--
{alberta,utzoo,uunet}!ncc!lyndon  lyndon@Nexus.CA

jerry@oliveb.olivetti.com (Jerry Aguirre) (06/10/88)

In article <10269@ncc.Nexus.CA> lyndon@ncc.UUCP (Lyndon Nerenberg) writes:
>In article <8806070434.AA09530@infidel.lanl.gov.ARPA> peter%infidel@LANL.GOV (Peter Ford) writes:
>>We have a cabletron DELNI clone which is better than the old DELNIs
>>since it is loaded with lights which have helped in network debugging.
>
>Great! My question is: Do you have the rack mounting kit for
>the DELNI? Some of us like the lights mounted in the rack where
>everyone can see them.

When our DEC DELNI arrived I tried to mount it in a rack along with the
DEC LAT terminal servers.  They both come in a plastic case intended for
setting on a table or such.  To rack mount them you remove the plastic
case and inside there is a metal case that will fit into a rack.  (We
still have those empty plastic cases taking up room on a shelf.)

The LAT units installed with no problems but when I went to do the same
for the DELNI the brackets didn't line up with anything.  A little
investigation showed that the brackets included with the DELNI were the
ones for a LAT.  I thought this was just a fluke but others on the net
have complained that this always happens.  There is some screwup with
the part number so that even if you order the part for the DELNI you get
the bracket for the LAT.  According to one source the only way to get
the right part is to order the DELNI in one of DECs wiring cabinets.
Meanwhile our DELNI lays on the bottom of the rack.

The Cabletron MT-800 has a rack mount option (RMK-1000) that lists for
$75.  It is a little bulky for my tastes.  It is actually a shelf that
the MT-800 bolts to, but it works well and looks nice from the front.
(You want to be able to see those blinky lights.)

The MT-800 also comes (standard) with a bracket in the back that you can
tie-wrap all the cables to, including the power cord.  Those of you
familiar with transceiver connections and their slide-lock fasteners
will understand the importance of strain-relief.  The bracket and
tie-wrap combination is so effective that you can move the other end of
the cable arround and it wont pull out of the MT-800 even if the
slide-lock isn't fastened.

The Cabletron MR-9000 thin ethernet multiport repeater (DEMPR clone) has
the same chassis as the MT-800 and uses the same rack mount kit.  The
same strain relief bracket is included but I have not found it necessary
for BNC connections.  It does help for the power cord and transceiver
connection.

Cabletron has always shiped my orders very fast, usually in a couple of
days after we generate the PO.

Now for the bad news.  I had one of the MR-9000s fail.  No big deal, it
had been running for 6 months and I expect some failures.  (Actually I
also had a transceiver on a different floor fail at or about the same
time.  I suspect some kind of electrical spike.)  But I didn't find
Cabletron very responsive; it took several days and many phone calls to
get me the RMA number and the repair took over a week.  To be honest I
wasn't really pushing or screaming for immediate help.  I had borrowed
another unit and my network was working again the same day.  Perhaps if
I had told them I was off the air they would have arranged a loaner.
What was disturbing was that I have written a PO and received a new unit
from them in half the time it took to get an in-warranty repair.  I
finally decided to just order a spare unit.

				Jerry Aguirre

jimk@iscuva.ISCS.COM (Jim Kendall) (06/15/88)

Jerry Aguirre writes:
>Now for the bad news.  I had one of the MR-9000s fail.... But I didn't find
>Cabletron very responsive; it took several days and many phone calls to
>get me the RMA number and the repair took over a week..... Perhaps if
>I had told them I was off the air they would have arranged a loaner.
>What was disturbing was that I have written a PO and received a new unit
>from them in half the time it took to get an in-warranty repair.

We detected a malfunction in one of our MR-9000s in that when the cable
segment was accidentally opened up a couple of hundred feet down the wire,
the fault and collision lights didn't come on........but the jam light
flickered rapidly. This indication tells me that the faulty segment did
not automatically disconnect and that runt packets were being propagated
to all segments (including channel 9, the Ethernet segment). Needless to
say, this loaded the network quite heavily. I disconnected the faulty
segment and, sure enough, the collision and fault lights lit and the
segment disconnected properly. I called Cabletron and told them about it
and they indicated that there was a PAL change made to later units (ours
was 8 months old, therefore we didn't have the PAL change) to fix a faulty
segment disconnect problem, BUT....he said that what I was describing didn't
sound like the problem the PAL change was intended to fix. He said that he
would air freight me up a new one and that I should get it next Monday (this
was last week and Monday has obviously passed) along with an RMA # to ship
the old one back under. To date I've gotten neither.....and we need this
to fix our problem (we are in a developement situation where we are often
opening up segments, and it's imperative that the open segment disconnect
properly).

So, Jerry, I don't know about the "if I'd only told them I was down"
arguement. While I've typically had good response from Cabletron, in this
particular instance it hasn't been.

Now just watch.......I'll hit the `S'end key and Receiving will call and
tell me to come get my MR-9000      ;^)

Cheers!

--
Jim Kendall                 ISC Systems Corp.          My boss is in full
jimk@iscuva.ISCS.COM        E. 22425 Appleway          agreement with all