[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] DELNI Rack Mount Kits

lyndon@ncc.Nexus.CA (Lyndon Nerenberg) (06/11/88)

In article <23399@oliveb.olivetti.com> jerry@oliveb.UUCP (Jerry Aguirre) writes:
>In article <10269@ncc.Nexus.CA> lyndon@ncc.UUCP (Lyndon Nerenberg) writes:

>When our DEC DELNI arrived I tried to mount it in a rack along with the
>DEC LAT terminal servers.  They both come in a plastic case intended for
>setting on a table or such.  To rack mount them you remove the plastic
>case and inside there is a metal case that will fit into a rack.  (We
>still have those empty plastic cases taking up room on a shelf.)

[ ... ]

>The LAT units installed with no problems but when I went to do the same
>for the DELNI the brackets didn't line up with anything.  A little
>investigation showed that the brackets included with the DELNI were the
>ones for a LAT.

I'm not sure if you're trying to imply that the mounting brackets are
part of the standard DELNI, or if you ordered them as an accessory
with the DELNI.

When we ordered our DELNI, a seperate part number was given for the
rack mounting kit (in the installation manual). When I called back
to order this kit, much confusion resulted. I finally received a
phone call from the distributor (about a week later) who said the
rack mounting kit was no longer available from DEC.

So... If I was to crack the DELNI open would I find the necessary
parts inside? If not, does anyone know if DEC still supplies these
brackets?

--
{alberta,utzoo,uunet}!ncc!lyndon  lyndon@Nexus.CA

AI.CLIVE@MCC.COM (Clive Dawson) (06/11/88)

For years we have obtained our DELNI mounting kits from Radio
Shack.  They sell some sort of universal car stereo mounting kit
which works very well.

Clive
-------

bob@rel.eds.com (Bob Leffler) (06/12/88)

In article <10286@ncc.Nexus.CA>, lyndon@ncc.Nexus.CA (Lyndon Nerenberg) writes:
> In article <23399@oliveb.olivetti.com> jerry@oliveb.UUCP (Jerry Aguirre) writes:
> >In article <10269@ncc.Nexus.CA> lyndon@ncc.UUCP (Lyndon Nerenberg) writes:
> I'm not sure if you're trying to imply that the mounting brackets are
> part of the standard DELNI, or if you ordered them as an accessory
> with the DELNI.
> phone call from the distributor (about a week later) who said the
> rack mounting kit was no longer available from DEC.
>
> So... If I was to crack the DELNI open would I find the necessary
> parts inside? If not, does anyone know if DEC still supplies these
> brackets?

Last fall I installed about a dozen Dec DELNI's at my site.  What I was told
kinda amazed me.  DEC sells the brackets as an option in Europe for the
standard 19" rack, but not in the US.  In the US, they only come with the
DEC cabinet/rack.

No, if you take off the plastic case, all you'll see is two holes in the
side of the DELNI to mount the missing "ears".

Fortunately since my customer site where this equipment is located, happens
to be an Engineering Test facility for an Automotive company, it was no
big deal for us to fabricate the parts ourselves.  I would have still
prefered to buy them from DEC.

--
Bob Leffler - EDS, GM Truck & Bus Account (313)456-5375
bob@rel.eds.com or {uunet!edsews, rutgers, umix}!rel!bob

jsloan@wright.EDU (John Sloan) (06/14/88)

Are we all talking about the same thing? In my DECDirect catalog,
Winter/Spring 1988, on the same page as the DELNI (p. 113), P/N
H3126-00/FP, Rack Mount Brackets, $42. I've ordered these, installed
them on the DELNIs, and rack mounted them. Did one just last week.
What's the deal? Am I confused? Are they no longer available?
Should I be worried?

--
John Sloan, The SPOTS Group    Wright State University Research Building
CSNET: jsloan@SPOTS.Wright.Edu  3171 Research Blvd., Kettering, OH 45420

trewitt@MIASMA.STANFORD.EDU (06/14/88)

> Are we all talking about the same thing? In my DECDirect catalog,
> Winter/Spring 1988, on the same page as the DELNI (p. 113), P/N
> H3126-00/FP, Rack Mount Brackets, $42. I've ordered these, installed
> them on the DELNIs, and rack mounted them. Did one just last week.
> What's the deal? Am I confused? Are they no longer available?
> Should I be worried?

Here's some details on the kit that Clive Dawson mentioned earlier:

For a smaller part number (270-023) and a much smaller price ($2.99),
I think that the Radio Shack "Universal Mounting Bracket Set" is a much
better deal.  The only drawback is that you have to provide your own
#6-32 screws and washers.  Works great!  And, you have two other pairs
of brackets left over, just in case you need to mount a car stereo.

	- Glenn

cml@texhrc.UUCP (Chris Lonvick) (06/15/88)

>kinda amazed me.  DEC sells the brackets as an option in Europe for the
> standard 19" rack, but not in the US.  In the US, they only come with the
[...]
> to be an Engineering Test facility for an Automotive company, it was no
> big deal for us to fabricate the parts ourselves.  I would have still
> prefered to buy them from DEC. [???]

I've been buying the ears from DEC for at least two years. If I had a machine
shop I would opt to manufacture them in-house since they could then be made
from gold and still cost less than what DEC charges. In the current
DEC Direct catalog: H3126-00/FP Rack Mounting Brackets (rack 4 DELNI) $42.
This gives you 8 ears, some screws and a neat pictorial guide to correct
installation. Such a deal.

Chris Lonvick
Texaco EPTD

Usual Disclaimer: These views are mine, mine, all mine and you can't have any.