[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Transceiver connectors

enger@GBURG.SCC.COM (06/20/88)

Folks:
	Many of the writers addressing this topic have complained
about bending of the slide lock metal (allowing the connector to become
partially or fully dislodged).  Still more writers have suggested various
revenge scenarios against the inventor of the connector, and the abandonment
of the connector's use.  Maybe improvements can be made without resorting to
the guillotine (or wire cutters).

	I have noted differnces in the "strength" of the slide locks
provided on the cables from various suppliers.  While the geometry may make
the applied forces great, it may still be possible to spec a sufficiently
"strong" slide lock to meet most user's needs.  Perhaps the use of higher
quality metal will be the only change necessary.  Reinforcement of the slide
lock through other methods such as ribbing and spot welding may also be usefull.

	I suppose we could machine high quality slide locks that were strong
enough to lift a car (or at least a Sun Workstation).  What I'm affraid of
however, is that we'll start to see the mating chasis hardware failing.  Wider
use of right angle connectors, and provisions for EASILY lashing the cable to
the equipment chasis should round out the remedy though.

Bob Enger

dewey@execu.UUCP (Dewey Henize) (06/20/88)

In article <8806192137.AA28570@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> enger@GBURG.SCC.COM writes:
>Folks:
>	Many of the writers addressing this topic have complained
>about bending of the slide lock metal (allowing the connector to become
>partially or fully dislodged).  Still more writers have suggested various
>revenge scenarios against the inventor of the connector, and the abandonment
>of the connector's use.  Maybe improvements can be made without resorting to
>the guillotine (or wire cutters).
>
>	I have noted differnces in the "strength" of the slide locks
>provided on the cables from various suppliers.  While the geometry may make
>the applied forces great, it may still be possible to spec a sufficiently
>"strong" slide lock to meet most user's needs.  Perhaps the use of higher
>quality metal will be the only change necessary.  Reinforcement of the slide
>lock through other methods such as ribbing and spot welding may also be usefull

Perhaps.  Heck, perhaps we could make it work with epoxy glue too! :-)

At the base of the problem is a different outlook though - this industry had
managed to get along with 9 pin, 25 pin, and all kinds of n-pin connectors
pretty well - but we got used to using a method of screwing things in THAT
WORKED AND WAS EFFECTIVE.  The DIX plug isn't.  It sucks on a good day, and
is flaky the rest of the time.  And as a great many of the testimonials here
have indicated, the 'fix' is simple - get rid of the poor design, go with one
or more variants of tried and true screwlocks.

Now if you (any you, not just Bob) can come up with a good reason to go with
a more complicated, less effective method, please convince me.  Or, of course,
go get a job in the Pentagon in procurement - there are likely to be a few
slots there real real soon...

|      execu!dewey  Dewey Henize @ Execucom Systems Corp 512/346-3008         |
|    You don't think my employer APPROVES of these ideas, do you??  Sheesh!   |