[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] 802

bruce@ssc-vax.UUCP (Bruce Stock) (05/12/88)

Does anyone have any wisdom to share regarding the ability of TCP/IP versions
based on Ethernet 2 frame formats to communicate with 802 (.2).3 based
versions ( on the same network)?

I just got a flyer for the Wollongong WIN/H3000 software (FTP, Telnet, SMTP)
for the HP 3000 series of computers.  This package uses the underlying
802 (.2).3 frame formats of HP's TCP/IP implementation for its lower layers.
Most ( all?) other TCP implementations seem to use the Ethernet 2 frame
formats and would probably not communicate with this package.
Any experience to relate?

It would seem that HP's TCP/IP implementation is grossly out of step with
prevailing practice in the TCP arena.  Are there any reasons to choose it,
based on either short term or long term considerations?

			Bruce E. Stock
			Boeing Aerospace
			uw-beaver!ssc-vax!bruce

karn@thumper.bellcore.com (Phil R. Karn) (05/14/88)

In my humble opinion, IEEE 802.2/3 is yet another standards committee
that the world would have been far better off without. The changes they
made to DIX (DEC-Intel-Xerox) Ethernet, already a well-proven de-facto
industry standard, were utterly gratuitious. The existing 16-bit type
field provided plenty of expansion room to build whatever additional
capability they wanted while maintaining compatibility with existing
protocol encapsulation formats.  The new "length" field not only breaks
compatibility, but is useless, redundant information for the protocols
that already ran on Ethernet since they have their own type fields.
(If a length field was considered necessary for other protocols, it
could have been provided AFTER the type field, and only for certain new
values in the type field).

Because the DIX Ethernet type fields are invalid as 802.3 length values,
it is possible to write packet receiver code that will accept, say, IP
datagrams in either DIX or 802.3 framing, but real problems come when
you need to decide how to SEND packets to another host you haven't
spoken to before.

I see only one easy answer to the gratuitous compatibility problems
imposed by 802.3: IGNORE IT!  Also be sure to tell the manufacturers
why. Maybe someday the standards-mongers will get the message.  (Begin
Bernstein music here) Someday, somehow, somewhere...

Phil

vjs@rhyolite.SGI.COM (Vernon Schryver) (05/17/88)

In article <1080@thumper.bellcore.com>, karn@thumper.bellcore.com (Phil R. Karn) writes:
> I see only one easy answer to the gratuitous compatibility problems
> imposed by 802.3: IGNORE IT!  ...

Yes, but...some vendors are already supporting it.  I'm told by some of
our customers that Gould/SEL machines can do either 'Ethernet 1 or
802.3' (meaning either lengths or types), depending on boot-time
configuration, and cannot send even raw ethernet packets of one kind
when configured for the other.  I've heard more distressing claims
about WIN/TCP for HP-3000's.  This may not be true about either (it's
only our customers beating up on us, demanding interoperability), but it
will no doubt eventually be true of some machines.

It's likely we, at SGI, can figure out how to make our drivers hear
either the old form or RFC-1042.  What should we do for output?
    -Add an option to ifconfig which tells the driver to speak RFC-1042?
    -A per-driver, system configuration option?
    -Some kind of hack for ARP like that for trailers?  Send both kinds
	of ARP request and guess out what each destination wants by what
	you get back?  But that makes the MTU for the link kind of variable.
	It might be confusing when two such machines talk to each
	other--depending on timing, they might get different conclusions
	about each other.  What about proxy-ARP?

It might be nice if the 4.3bsd compatible vendors could be consistent.

If the problem has been solved, please forgive me, and tell me the
solution.

Vernon Schryver
Silicon Graphics
vjs@sgi.com   or   {pyramid,decwrl,research,allegra,adobe,sun}!sgi!vjs

hedrick@athos.rutgers.edu (Charles Hedrick) (05/19/88)

I certainly agree that 802.3 is useless, and we should have stuck with
DEC-Intel-Xerox Ethernet.  However what seems to be happening in
practice is that older protocols are ignoring 802.3, and newer ones
are using it.  Thus no incompatibility actually happens.  That is,
TCP/IP, PUP, and DECnet phase IV are using the Ethernet standards,
while ISO and DECnet phase V will presumably use 802.3.  For token
rings, etc., that have no existing base of TCP/IP implementations, it
appears that only an 802.3 encapsulation will be used.  So we should
not have compatibility problems in practice.  That assumes no vendors
get overly eager in their standard-following and try to do an 802.3
encapsulation for Ethernet.  HP did that, and lost obviously enough
that I think other vendors will be discouraged from following suit.

norm@atom.hpl.hp.COM (Norman Kincl) (05/21/88)

> I certainly agree that 802.3 is useless, and we should have stuck with
> DEC-Intel-Xerox Ethernet.  However what seems to be happening in
> practice is that older protocols are ignoring 802.3, and newer ones
> are using it.  Thus no incompatibility actually happens.  That is,
> TCP/IP, PUP, and DECnet phase IV are using the Ethernet standards,
> while ISO and DECnet phase V will presumably use 802.3.  For token
> rings, etc., that have no existing base of TCP/IP implementations, it
> appears that only an 802.3 encapsulation will be used.  So we should
> not have compatibility problems in practice.  That assumes no vendors
> get overly eager in their standard-following and try to do an 802.3
> encapsulation for Ethernet.  HP did that, and lost obviously enough
> that I think other vendors will be discouraged from following suit.

Are you not confusing 802.3 with 802.2?  802.3 (physical layer) is
essentially identical to Ethernet physical layer (the grounding pin is
different and there is one other difference in there somewhere).  It is not
hard to make a card that can be fully compatible with both.  Most cards
these days don't really care if they are connected via an transceiver cable
to a transceiver (Ethernet) or via an AUI cable to a MAU (802.3).

802.2 (data link layer) is where the problem comes in.  Though you can have
a system that speaks both quite fluently (eg. HP9000 or cisco box), most
systems do not do that and provide only one of those data link layers
(usually Ethernet).

(There is no such thing as 802.3 token ring---that comes under 802.5)

miket@ccicpg.UUCP (Mike Tracy) (05/21/88)

in article <14933@sgi.SGI.COM>, vjs@rhyolite.SGI.COM (Vernon Schryver) says:

> In article <1080@thumper.bellcore.com>, karn@thumper.bellcore.com (Phil R. Karn) writes:
>> I see only one easy answer to the gratuitous compatibility problems
>> imposed by 802.3: IGNORE IT!  ...
>
> Yes, but...some vendors are already supporting it.  I'm told by some of
> our customers that Gould/SEL machines can do either 'Ethernet 1 or
> 802.3' (meaning either lengths or types), depending on boot-time
> configuration, and cannot send even raw ethernet packets of one kind
> when configured for the other.

Are you sure they don't mean ethenet 2 ?  Many vendors claim to be 802.3
compatable but actually are only compatable up to the frame format.
All of the electrical stuff, CSMA/CD, etc. is 802.3 but they use they
standard ethernet frame format (i.e. type instead of length).
Probably, if they are running Unix, they are ethernet 2.  Otherwise, it
makes it hard to talk to other Unix boxes. :->

--
Michael D. Tracy	CCI Computers
(714)458-7282		9801 Muirlands Boulevard

cire@CLASH.CISCO.COM (05/25/88)

>> To: hedrick@rutgers.edu (Charles Hedrick)
>> Cc: tcp-ip@sri-nic.ARPA
>> Subject: Re: 802 (.2).3 TCP/IP
>> Date: Fri, 20 May 88 10:42:45 PDT
>> From: Norman Kincl <norm@atom.hpl.hp.com>
>>
>> > while ISO and DECnet phase V will presumably use 802.3.  For token
>> > rings, etc., that have no existing base of TCP/IP implementations, it
>> > appears that only an 802.3 encapsulation will be used.  So we should

Whoops.  That is 802.5 which has an encapsulation that is significantly
different than 802.3.  I am in the process of implementing this stuff
for cisco.  On top of the 802.5 lives 802.2 which is what I think you
are really talking about.  I plan on using 802.2 with the SNAP extension
to allow essentialy an ethernet type field.

>> > not have compatibility problems in practice.  That assumes no vendors
>> > get overly eager in their standard-following and try to do an 802.3
>> > encapsulation for Ethernet.  HP did that, and lost obviously enough
>> > that I think other vendors will be discouraged from following suit.

cisco also implements 802.2 encapsulations for Ethernet.  We use the
SNAP extensions to properly identify what type the packet is.

>> Are you not confusing 802.3 with 802.2?  802.3 (physical layer) is

>> 802.2 (data link layer) is where the problem comes in.  Though you can have
>> a system that speaks both quite fluently (eg. HP9000 or cisco box), most
>> systems do not do that and provide only one of those data link layers
>> (usually Ethernet).

Much of what was written is really talking 802.2 while saying 802.3

-c
cire|eric

Eric B. Decker
cisco Systems
Menlo Park, California

email:	cire@cisco.com
uSnail: 1360 Willow Rd.,  Menlo Park, CA  94025
Phone : (415) 326-1941

hedrick@ATHOS.RUTGERS.EDU (Chuck Hedrick) (05/27/88)

I've just looked at RFC1042 again.  While it is true that I have
in the past tended to confuse 802.3 and 802.3, it's not clear that
I did so in this message.  In a paragraph at the end of the RFC,
it uses language very similar to mine, referring to an 802.3
and an Ethernet link layer as separate standards.  Since 802.3
includes wording saying that there is a length code rather than
a type code, I generally consider that the term 802.3 is properly
applied only to systems whose software actually do that.  This
is of course normally coupled with 802.2 as well.  I did not
mean to imply that 802.3 was used over token ring, etc.  Obviously
there are other 802.x standards for these other media.  What I
was trying to say was that in my view, RFC1042-style encapsulation
will be used for all newer media, but that traditional 10MHz
Ethernet implementations should continue to use the traditional
encapsulation and not the one defined in RFC1042 (which while
it may use the same basic ARP packets, presumes the use of
802.3 and in most cases 802.2, so that the headers put in
front of the ARP packets would make it not interoperable with
a system such as 4.3 BSD).

dino@CDCCENTR.BITNET (Dino Farinacci - Control Data - CDCNET TCP/IP Development) (06/25/88)

    This is in response to ssc-vax!bruce@beaver.cs.washington.edu's
    memo <1919@ssc-vax.UUCP>:

    When we (CDC)  initially  started support of TCP/IP in CDCNET
    we made the decision to support  all  three  of  the Ethernet
    header formats.  We were informed with the direction  of  OSI
    standards  that  802.2/802.3  was  the way to go.  Our CDCNET
    systems already supported this header format but we needed to
    include Ethernet 2 and SNAP headers.

    We felt the effort  was  trivial  for  incoming frames.  Just
    check  the  ether  type  field  in  the 802.3 (or  version  2
    header).  If the value was greater than  1518 (maximum length
    Ethernet  frame),  then  the  header format was  Ethernet  2.
    Otherwise  it was 802.2/802.3.  If  802.2  was  present  than
    another check  is done to determine if a SNAP header follows.
    If so, use the ether  type  field in the SNAP as one would in
    the Ethernet 2 case.  If no SNAP,  use the 8-bit SAP value in
    the 802.2 to multiplex to the correct user.

    For outgoing frames, one does not know what header format the
    destination system  supports.   If  it was our own system, it
    didn't matter (we supported all of them).  There are two ways
    we  allowed this information to be provided.   One,  staticly
    configure  the  header  format  with the IP address/ Ethernet
    address.  Or two, let ARP find out.  Obviously it was less of
    a burden to the Network Administrator  if  ARP  did  it.  The
    disadvantage  was that ARP broadcasts two ARP requests,  each
    with a differnet  header  format (Ethernet 2 and SNAP - there
    is not an 8-bit 802.2 SAP value  assigned for ARP).  When the
    reply is received, the IP address/Ethernet address and header
    format is cached.

    We did this over  a  year  and  a  half ago anticipating that
    workstation   vendors   would  go  to  the  SNAP.    However,
    everything  I've  heard  from   the  TCP/IP  interoperability
    conferences indicates no one cares  about  it  and everything
    works fine as it is today.

Dino Farinacci
Control Data Corp.
CDCNET TCP/IP Design and Development