[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Domain name/subnet relationship.

RACKLEY@MSSTATE.BITNET (Mike Rackley) (06/25/88)

I attempted to post this question to the BIG-LAN discussion group about a week
ago, but I think it got lost in transit.  Anyhow, I apologize if you have seen
this before.

As we plan or campus network, we have decided to use 4 level domain names of
the form:  host.dept.MSSTATE.EDU.  This seems to be in line with what a lot of
other universities do.  We also plan to assign internet addresses in a subnetted
fashion even though initially we will be using MAC layer bridges instead of
routers for traffic isolation.

I am confused about the relationship of domains and subnets.  Is there,
or should there be, any specific relationship between domains and subnets?
In particuar, is it possible to have a single domain that contains more than
one subnet?  Conversely, is it possible to have a single subnet that contains
more than one domain?  Can you have a single domain that is spread among
several subnets?  The situation I am wondering about is where a department is
spread among several buildings on campus.

Mike Rackley
Mississippi State University

alan@cunixc.columbia.edu (Alan Crosswell) (06/27/88)

In article <8806270548.AA23542@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> RACKLEY@MSSTATE.BITNET (Mike Rackley) writes:
>I am confused about the relationship of domains and subnets.  Is there,
>or should there be, any specific relationship between domains and subnets?
>In particuar, is it possible to have a single domain that contains more than
>one subnet?  Conversely, is it possible to have a single subnet that contains
>more than one domain?  Can you have a single domain that is spread among
>several subnets?  The situation I am wondering about is where a department is
>spread among several buildings on campus.

Domains are basically a *user* convenience for naming an IP address.  There is
no required relationship between a domain name and an IP address, network,
subnet, campus, etc.  In usual practice they happen to correspond since
single departments tend to be on a single subnet.  However, it is perfectly
reasonable to have members of the same subdomain be located on radically
different networks (e.g. on opposite sides of the world).  You just better
hope that a domain name server for that domain is reachable from both those
networks (not necessarily the same one!).

A lot of people get domains and networks locked together in their
minds mainly as a result of poor examples of domain usage like .BITNET
and .UUCP where the domain is actually being used to indicate a
specific non-IP network.  Work is progressing in both these networks
to convert to proper domain names.  There are now many "MX" servers on
the Internet that respond to domain lookups for BITNET and UUCP
hosts.

Alan Crosswell
Columbia University

DCP@QUABBIN.SCRC.SYMBOLICS.COM (David C. Plummer) (06/27/88)

    Date:       Sat, 25 Jun 88 08:00:04 CDT
    From:       Mike Rackley <RACKLEY%MSSTATE.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
    I am confused about the relationship of domains and subnets.  Is there,
    or should there be, any specific relationship between domains and subnets?

They are completely orthogonal.  You can, if you want, establish
relationships, but it would be for purely personal and/or administrative
reasons; there would be (and can be) no technical reason for doing so.
The basic thing to remember is that domains are an administrative naming
system, whereas subnets are a physical cable numbering system (more or
less).

fin@uf.msc.umn.EDU (Craig Finseth) (06/27/88)

There is no need for any particular relationship between domains and
subnets.  You may choose -- for administrative ease -- to divvy up the
subnet address space into blocks for each department.  In that case,
you will likely have some departments that occupy lots of subnets and
other groups of departments that share a subnet.

My advice is to have a central authority give out subnets on
demonstrated need (e.g., new building or >200 or so hosts alread in
place).  In many places, once you give out a subnet, it becomes
difficult to get back if the campus' needs as a whole should change.

Craig A. Finseth			fin@uc.msc.umn.edu [CAF13]
Minnesota Supercomputer Center, Inc.	(612) 624-3375