[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] TCP/IP in a real time kernal

bailey@elrond.CalComp.COM (Dave Bailey) (06/21/88)

Does anyone know of any TCP/IP implementations in small real time
kernals? thanks.

dave bailey

--
David C. Bailey ...{decvax|harvard}!elrond!bailey
Calcomp Inc, (A Lockheed Company) Display Products Division,

Mills@UDEL.EDU (06/24/88)

Dave,

Fuzzball, and it keeps very real time. I'm not sure you would call the
kernel small and it is built in assembly code for the PDP11. I'm
not sure you gain much comfort in that.

Dave

jerry@wrs.UUCP (Jerry Fiddler) (06/28/88)

In article <2348@elrond.CalComp.COM> bailey@elrond.CalComp.COM (Dave Bailey) writes:
>Does anyone know of any TCP/IP implementations in small real time kernels?

We sell a real-time OS called VxWorks that fits those needs.  It runs on
68K-based targets now, and will run on SPARC targets in October.

Rather than expound upon the (extensive) capabilities of VxWorks here (against
net policy, after all) I'll send you some materials directly.

--
Jerry Fiddler
Wind River Systems

barbiaux@mrsvr.UUCP (Bill Barbiaux) (06/28/88)

From article <2348@elrond.CalComp.COM>, by bailey@elrond.CalComp.COM (Dave Bailey):
> Does anyone know of any TCP/IP implementations in small real time
> kernals? thanks.

We are using VxWorks, a real-time system and development environment
with good networking facilities.  It uses TCP/IP, and is built around
the VRTX kernal.  It is designed to fit well in a UNIX development
environment (supports remote login, remote file access, a shell, etc.),
while its kernal makes it useful for real-time applications.  VxWorks
is marketed by Wind River Systems, Inc., Emeryville, CA (415)428-2623.

ALSO: I'm looking for TCP/IP implementations running under iRMX.  Can
anyone help me out?  Thanks

Bill Barbiaux

ncoverby@ndsuvax.UUCP (Glen Overby) (06/28/88)

From article <2348@elrond.CalComp.COM>, by bailey@elrond.CalComp.COM (Dave Bailey):
> Does anyone know of any TCP/IP implementations in small real time
> kernals? thanks.

I don't know if you consider XINU to be real-time or not (device drivers
should be able to meet real-time requirements), and Version 7 contains
TCP/IP(see Comer's second edition, "Operating System Design: The XINU
Approach; Internetworking with XINU").
--
Glen Overby
Bitnet:  ncoverby@ndsuvax