[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Detachable power cords

stever@videovax.Tek.COM (Steven E. Rice, P.E.) (07/02/88)

In article <489@cvaxa.sussex.ac.uk>, Aled Morris
(aledm@cvaxa.sussex.ac.uk) writes:

> . . .

> There are worse connectors...and those are the 3 pin mains leads,
> with absolutely NO RETAINER WHATSOEVER [god, they make me so ANGRY :-)]
> Forget about "ie0: ethernet jammed", one jerk (pun intended) and the
> machine goes down, lock stock and disk heads.  Proividing FSCK does not
> make up for saving 50 cents on a decent screw-in cable lock.

Detachable power cords with no locking mechanism are a safety factor.
A few year back, many "twist-lock" connectors were used for power cords,
but fires were caused by cords damaged when someone tripped over a cord
that was securely plugged into the wall on one end and locked into an
instrument on the other end.  Many instruments came crashing off tables,
under similar provocation.

Those whose business is safety generally consider aggravation preferable
to injury. . .

					Steve Rice

* Every knee shall bow, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord! *
new: stever@videovax.tv.Tek.com               [phone (503) 627-1320]
old: {decvax | hplabs | uunet | uw-beaver}!tektronix!videovax!stever