[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] SLIP, telnet and ftp on Mac

mkkam@wael.cs.uh.edu (Francis Kam) (06/29/88)

I am trying to connect some of our Mac II's and SE's to a Sun network.
I am considering using SLIP then I don't have to buy ethercard for the
Mac's.  Does anyone know any public domain SLIP, telnet and ftp source
for Mac?  Or any supply source that sell them?

Please give me some hints.

-------------
Francis Kam                           Computer Science Department
Internet: mkkam@wael.cs.uh.edu        University of Houston
CSNET:    mkkam@houston.csnet         4800 Calhoun
Phone: (713)749-1748                  Houston, TX 77004.

kgeisel@nfsun.UUCP (kurt geisel) (07/02/88)

Phil Karn, KA9Q, has written an implementation of TCP/IP for amateur radio
experimenters to communicate over packet radio networks.  However, it also
happens to be a full implementation of TCP/IP, telnet, ftp, etc. with SLIP
and ether support.  I use it for everyday stuff because in my opinion it is
better than PC/IP and some other ports I have seen.  I remember something
something about a Mac version floating around.  Try calling his Opus BBS:
719-495-2061.

| Kurt Geisel, Intelligent Technology Group, Inc.                          |
| Bix: kgeisel                                                             |
| ARPA: kgeisel%nfsun@uunet.uu.net            US Snail:                    |
| UUCP: uunet!nfsun!kgeisel                    65 Lambeth Dr.              |
|                                              Pittsburgh, PA 15241        |
| Know Future                                                              |

winter@Apple.COM (Patty Winter) (07/03/88)

In article <218@nfsun.UUCP> kgeisel@nfsun.UUCP (kurt geisel) writes:
>Phil Karn, KA9Q, has written an implementation of TCP/IP for amateur radio
>experimenters to communicate over packet radio networks.  However, it also
>happens to be a full implementation of TCP/IP, telnet, ftp, etc. with SLIP
>and ether support.  I use it for everyday stuff because in my opinion it is
>better than PC/IP and some other ports I have seen.  I remember something
>something about a Mac version floating around.  Try calling his Opus BBS:
>719-495-2061.

That BBS is actually Bdale Garbee's in Colorado Springs. Phil's code is
also available via anonymous ftp from louie.udel.edu.

Phil originally wrote the code in the DOS environment. A Macintosh port
of it by Mikel Matthews has been around since early this year, and Mikel
is just releasing another version Right About Now. He's getting very busy
with work, however, so some other hams with Macintosh programming
experience are going to be helping with further improvements. Some of them
are on the net, so if you have any Macintosh-specific questions, you might
try asking them here. Phil doesn't have a Macintosh himself, so it's
difficult for him to answer questions about the Macintosh version.

I'm informally keeping a list of everyone who's planning on helping with
the Macintosh code, so if you want to know who else is doing what, feel
free to drop me your name and net address. I'm *not* coordinating anything;
the tradition with Phil's code is that anyone who wants to hack on it is
utterly welcome to do so. I'm simply trying to keep track of who's doing
what so that when someone has a specific question, I can say "write to
so-and-so; he should be able to help." Not being a programmer myself, I
figure this is as good a way as any to make myself useful in promoting
this excellent software. (Yes, I use it myself over amateur radio. I
personally haven't used it on Ethernet or AppleTalk, but I know people
who have.)

Patty

                       Patty Winter N6BIS  [44.4.0.44]
DOMAIN: winter@apple.com              UUCP: {decwrl,nsc,sun,dual}!apple!winter