[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] flooded with routing updates?

zgel05@apctrc.UUCP (George E. Lehmann) (07/07/88)

Tulsa, Oklahoma

Has anyone else had problems with excessive routes showing up at their site?
On three occassions in the past thirty hours we have suddenly discovered
500-700 internet addresses in our Sun's route tables.  Things generally go
poorly until we kill off the router daemons, flush the tables and restart
/etc/in.routed.  Any comments or similar occurrences?

--
George Lehmann,  ...!uunet!apctrc!zgel05
Amoco Production Co., PO BOX 3385, Tulsa, Ok  74102  ph:918-660-4066

brescia@PARK-STREET.BBN.COM (Mike Brescia) (07/07/88)

     ... we have suddenly discovered 500-700 internet addresses

George,

Any hint of whether they are registered nets (have names in the file
NIC:<netinfo>hosts.txt)?  Which routing protocols are you running?

     ... restart /etc/in.routed.

Who do you run RIP with?  "Who do you trust?"

Mike Brescia
BBNCC Gateway Dev.

kwe@bu-cs.BU.EDU (kwe@bu-it.bu.edu (Kent W. England)) (07/08/88)

In article <471@apctrc.UUCP> zgel05@apctrc.UUCP (George E. Lehmann) writes:
>Tulsa, Oklahoma
>
>Has anyone else had problems with excessive routes showing up at their site?
>On three occassions in the past thirty hours we have suddenly discovered
>500-700 internet addresses in our Sun's route tables.
>--
>George Lehmann,  ...!uunet!apctrc!zgel05

	One way to get lots of routes showing up in a host is to be on
an Ethernet with several gateways that are connected to different
regional or backbone networks.  If you want to do robust routing, your
host needs a route to each reachable net and that number is getting
pretty large today.

	We have a jvnc-net router and an arpa-net router and we have
hundreds of routes advertised by our jvnc-net router on a local
Ethernet that has a few hosts on it (soon to be moved).  Our arpa-net
router is quiet, but the default, so we save advertising all the
arpa-net routes.  There is only one subnet with the external gateways
on it, so there are only three routers that must keep these huge
tables.  Everyone else on campus can default to a router that is on
that subnet.

	Kent England, Boston University

braden@VENERA.ISI.EDU (07/08/88)

		One way to get lots of routes showing up in a host is to be on
	an Ethernet with several gateways that are connected to different
	regional or backbone networks.  If you want to do robust routing, your
	host needs a route to each reachable net and that number is getting
	pretty large today.

This is not a requirement for "robust routing."  An Internet host should
only need to know a few default gateways, and take Redirects to find out
about the others.  This is just another example why hosts wiretapping
gateway IGP's is not a part of the Internet architecture, and is
often a bad idea.

Bob Braden

kwe@BU-IT.BU.EDU (07/08/88)

	From braden@venera.isi.edu Fri Jul  8 12:35:55 1988

	[Bob said:]
        This is not a requirement for "robust routing."  An Internet
	host should only need to know a few default gateways, and take
	Redirects to find out about the others.  This is just another
	example why hosts wiretapping gateway IGP's is not a part of
	the Internet architecture, and is often a bad idea.

	Bob Braden

Sorry.  I should have said [meant to say] "If you want to do robust
routing, your local router(s) need a route to each reachable net and
that number is getting pretty large [450 nets]."  We have a local
backbone and the router that talks to the external gateways really
needs to hear about all the nets that each external gateway knows
about.  It would be nice if it could find out reasonable metrics from
the external gateways, but that's a research topic.  For now, we
kludge configured metrics to get from egp to local and from jvnc
ciscoIGRP to local and thereby make decisions on a gateway basis
instead of a network basis.

	Of course, only one of our local backbone routers really needs
all the info.  All the other local routers can default to this local
authoritative router and the authoritative router can keep track of
450 nets split between the arpa-net and the regional-net.  We have a
strictly hierarchical backbone, so a default works nicely.  Now the
authoritative router defaults to arpanet but takes all the jvncnet
routes it can get.

	I have a problem with the statement "host should only need to
know *a few* default gateways".  How does a host learn about more than
one default gateway?  How does a host dynamically learn anything about
routers without participating in the gateway protocol??  [I know the
answer "ES-IS protocol".  I mean today.  now.]

	Kent England, Boston University

braden@VENERA.ISI.EDU (07/09/88)

		I have a problem with the statement "host should only need to
	know *a few* default gateways".  How does a host learn about more than
	one default gateway?  How does a host dynamically learn anything about
	routers without participating in the gateway protocol??  [I know the
	answer "ES-IS protocol".  I mean today.  now.]

		Kent England, Boston University

Kent,

A proposal for an ICMP Gateway Discovery Query/Report pair has undergone
extensive review in an IETF WG, and is nearing (I hope!) RFC stage.
There is also a trial implementation underway.  So, this problem should
be solved soon. Meanwhile, we have to depend upon host configuration
information, as we always have.

Bob Braden