[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] ISO VTP

mckenzie@LABS-N.BBN.COM (Alex McKenzie) (06/29/88)

Based on comments received, I must not have expressed myself clearly.  I meant
to suggest that the community consider adopting the ISO VTP (or a subset) to
*replace* Telnet, not to simulate ISO VTP with a bunch of Telnet options.
Since the ISO VTP is intended to provide the mechanisms to dynamically define
which user input characters trigger transmission and suspend "local" echoing,
it seems to me we should look at that solution first (i.e., before the IETF
goes off to invent a new set of Telnet options to do a similar thing).

Alex

perry@PRC.UNISYS.COM (Dennis Perry) (06/29/88)

I think Alex's words are words we should strongly consider, just
as with network managment moving towards ISO, we should move Telnet
towards VTP.

dennis

hedrick@athos.rutgers.edu (Charles Hedrick) (07/04/88)

If you'd like to submit an RFC describing ISO VTP, I'd be happy to
look at it.  As long as descriptions of ISO protocols are not
available online, I don't think they're going to make much headway in
the Internet community.

philipp@LARRY.MCRCIM.MCGILL.EDU (Philip A. Prindeville) (07/05/88)

It would be nice if the NIC were to furnish the ISO documents
on-line.  Of course, this would require a significant amount
of storage, as they tend to be much more wordy than the
equivalent RFCs... :-)

-Philip

KASTEN@MITVMA.MIT.EDU (Frank Kastenholz) (07/05/88)

>It would be nice if the NIC were to furnish the ISO documents
>on-line.  Of course, this would require a significant amount
>of storage, as they tend to be much more wordy than the
>equivalent RFCs... :-)

Also, they tend to be copyrighted (at least my copy of IS 7498 - the
basic reference model - is). And rights for copying are assigned to
the "local" national standards org (ANSI in the USA).

kwe@bu-cs.BU.EDU (kwe@bu-it.bu.edu (Kent W. England)) (07/05/88)

In article <8807051529.AA07979@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>
 KASTEN@MITVMA.MIT.EDU (Frank Kastenholz) writes:
>  [quoting P. Prindeville]
>>It would be nice if the NIC were to furnish the ISO documents
>>on-line.  Of course, this would require a significant amount
>>of storage, as they tend to be much more wordy than the
>>equivalent RFCs... :-)
>
>Also, they tend to be copyrighted (at least my copy of IS 7498 - the
>basic reference model - is). And rights for copying are assigned to
>the "local" national standards org (ANSI in the USA).

And they, in turn, assign the rights to sell the printed documents to
publishers like Omnicom, who make money selling ISO standards and
drafts.  Not likely to go on-line anytime soon when Omnicom is making
money selling printed copies.  Ah, when will we have royalty
procedures for on-line publishing??

smart@ditmela.oz (Robert Smart) (07/06/88)

Perhaps ANSI in the USA won't allow the ISO standards to be put on-line
(are they really that short-sighted?), how about an Internet site in
some other country: Canada is the obvious choice. Maybe Australia will
be on the Internet some day. What is the situation with making
material for which you have local copyright available to a world
network?

Anyway we don't want the standard ISO documents on-line. They're
incomprehensible (except for the CLN documents which are nice). What
we want is a description of the protocols that us ordinary folk can
read.

Bob Smart

Dave_Katz@UM.CC.UMICH.EDU (07/06/88)

 >Also, they tend to be copyrighted (at least my copy of IS 7498 - the
 >basic reference model - is). And rights for copying are assigned to
 >the "local" national standards org (ANSI in the USA).

There is a loophole--draft standards may be distributed free of charge
in order to "further the cause of standardization."  There is precedent
for publishing draft standards as RFCs (8473 [ISO IP], for instance).
The trick is getting whoever has the machine-readable source for the
text to create straight ASCII for public consumption (and of course
the diagrams and such disappear).

philipp@LARRY.MCRCIM.MCGILL.EDU (Philip A. Prindeville) (07/06/88)

I assume you aren't repulsed by the idea of the ISO trying to
make money on standards?  I believe that they should be able to
charge a "handling fee" for printed copies, but if one eliminates
(or subsidizes) this cost, what is it to them?

-Philip

torben@DORSAI.ICS.HAWAII.EDU ("Torben N. Nielsen") (07/07/88)

>There is a loophole--draft standards may be distributed free of charge
>in order to "further the cause of standardization."  There is precedent
>for publishing draft standards as RFCs (8473 [ISO IP], for instance).
>The trick is getting whoever has the machine-readable source for the
>text to create straight ASCII for public consumption (and of course
>the diagrams and such disappear).

Could something be done to generate a Postscript copy of it? Most people
can at least get access to such a device somewhere close by.... And it should
not be difficult to argue that distributing these documents across the
Internet *would* indeed further the cause of standardization. Who could ``do
something" to make this happen? ANSI? NBS?

Dave_Katz@UM.CC.UMICH.EDU (07/07/88)

>Could something be done to generate a Postscript copy of it? Most people
>can at least get access to such a device somewhere close by.... And it should
>not be difficult to argue that distributing these documents across the
>Internet *would* indeed further the cause of standardization. Who could ``do
>something" to make this happen? ANSI? NBS?

I would suggest talking to the chairperson of whichever ANSI committee
handles VTP.  To find out which committee, talk to the ANSI X3 Secretariat
at the Computer and Business Equipment Manufacturers Association (CBEMA)
in Washington, DC.  The chairperson could shed light on the current
state of the document and who the document editor is.

The document editor will likely be the only person who could provide
any machine-readable text, and the particular format is up to the editor
(since ISO takes camera-ready hardcopy for publication and doesn't
really care how it was generated).

KASTEN@MITVMA.MIT.EDU (Frank Kastenholz) (07/08/88)

>Anyway we don't want the standard ISO documents on-line. They're
>incomprehensible (except for the CLN documents which are nice). What
>we want is a description of the protocols that us ordinary folk can
>read.

Perhaps we can get Jon Postel to (re)edit them?

mrose@TWG.COM (Marshall Rose) (07/09/88)

     It is so tempting to simply flame at you two (Kastenholz and Smart)
     but rather than do so I will explain, calmly, the errors of your
     ways.  Consider this a pronouncement of The Truth.

     It is a mistake to, as Robert Smart suggests,

>	Anyway we don't want the standard ISO documents on-line. They're
>	incomprehensible (except for the CLN documents which are nice). What
>	we want is a description of the protocols that us ordinary folk can
>	read.

     re-edit the ISO documents and then distribute them.  The ISO
     documents use a consistent OSI terminology and are perfectly
     comprehensible from the basis of that framework.  Three years ago I
     was unable to read an OSIfied document and make sense out of it.
     Today I am able to, and can tell you that the network layer
     documents aren't really any better or worse than any of the other
     OSI documents with respect to readability.  In fact, if you want to
     read a truly outrageous document, get a copy of "The Internal
     Organization of the Network Layer" (the IONL), which will convince
     any thinking person that the TCP/IP architecture is vastly superior
     to the full-blown OSI network layer.

     The reason why the ISO documents are copyrighted is not so Omnicom
     can make a paltry sum of money on each standard (the ~$1000 figure
     is for their update service in which they filter the output of
     standards bodies for you and send you the things that you are
     interested in seeing).  The real reason is so that

	NO ONE WILL EDIT THEM AND MAKE THE CLAIM THAT THE RESULT IS
	RELATED TO THE ORIGINAL STANDARD

     The problem with having anyone edit them is that you lose meaning
     and misinform.  OSI documents make sense once you learn the lingo.
     It is more formal than the language used in the DARPA/NSF Internet
     community (plain English) but it is not as bad as the way the Inca
     of Peru used to write things down (they stored information on
     strings, carefully knotted in a specific manner and with colored thread).

     Now, having told you The Truth, keep in mind that I think that it
     would be nice for someone to write a moderately lengthy explanation
     of what each OSI standard is saying, and to write that in a more
     easy to understand format.  It would be less accurate, but would be
     useful for getting across the gist of things.  However, editing
     standards and the like is simply the wrong way to do it.

/mtr

ps:  The word "OSIfy" is a new word that I invented earlier this year.
     The precise meaning is:

	"to obscure, to make unclear for no good reason"

     It is often used in the context of the output of standards
     committees, although its use is not limited to committees which
     produce OSI standards.  In fact, some might claim that MILSTD 1778
     is an OSIfied version of RFC793.