[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Help on TCP/IP for HP

M197993%SLVM307.McAuto.Tymnet@OFFICE-1.ARPA (Keith R. Hacke) (07/02/88)

Has anyone networked HP computers (3000s) with IBM PCs and Apple Macintoshs?
We have more than 255 devices to ultimately tie together. HP's "TCP/IP" won't
do it (they only support class C addresses)! What other TCP implementations
will work on the HP? We will be using Kinetics boards with Synoptics ethernet
tranceivers built-in on the Macs. All the systems will be on ethernet

But, HP's "TCP/IP" (I don't think it is a real TCP/IP) is junk! What other TCP
implementations exist for HPs?

Thanks
Keith Hacke
MCAIR Telecommunications

kumar@hpindda.HP.COM (Krishna Kumar) (07/06/88)

Mr.Hacke,

>... HP's "TCP/IP" won't
>do it (they only support class C addresses)!

Well, this certainly is news to me. I supported TCP/IP, on the 3000 for two
years, and there is no limitation on the address type supported. All three
classes are supported. You might want to read the manuals to get the facts.

>But, HP's "TCP/IP" (I don't think it is a real TCP/IP) is junk! What other TCP
>implementations exist for HPs?

The "junk" TCP/IP transport (Phase II) has been used
successfully by HP's proprietary Network Services and recently by The
Wollongong Group to develop ARPA services (FTP, TELNET and SMTP). Note that
though the services were developed by Wollongong, the Transport is HP's
"junk" TCP/IP. This product which has been developed on the aforementioned
"junk" TCP/IP is called WIN/H3000 and you should contact Susan Trombetta,
The Wollongong Group, 1129 San Antonio Road, Palo Alto, CA 94303-4374.
Note that you still need HP's "junk" TCP/IP for the WIN/H3000
product to run. There are no other TCP implementations for the HP3000 other
than the "junk" TCP/IP.

>Has anyone networked HP computers (3000s) with IBM PCs and Apple Macintoshs?

HP is considered a leader in the marketplace for PC to mini integration. You
should contact the field/sales office close to you to find what solutions HP
has to offer.

Warm Regards,
Krishna Kumar,
Business Networking Division,
Hewlett-Packard, Cupertino, CA.

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are entirely mine and not those of HP.

wunder@sde.hp.COM (Walter Underwood) (07/06/88)

   HP's "TCP/IP" won't do it (they only support class C addresses)!

This is not true.  I just counted 100 HP3000's on HP's class A
network.  There are another 30 on MILNET.  If the documents don't say
how to configure a class A, complain to your field office.  Many of
the NS/3000 documents assume a single LAN (for historical reasons),
but the software knows better.

   Has anyone networked HP computers (3000s) with IBM PCs and Apple
   Macintoshs?  We have more than 255 devices to ultimately tie together.

For IBM PCs, there is a pile of HP software, with names like
OfficeShare, PrintCentral, AdvanceMail, and Business System Plus.
These use TCP/IP over 802.3 (not Ethernet!), and some non-ARPA
services (i.e. proprietary protocols on top of TCP/IP).

Wollongong offers FTP, Telnet, and SMTP for the 3000.  Again, the link
layer only talks 802.3, not Ethernet.  Gateways from cisco will talk
802.3 to the 3000, and will forward the packets in Ethernet to systems
on the other side of the gateway.  HP-UX hosts set up for gatewaying
will do the same thing.  At this time, that is the only way to talk to
an Ethernet-only host.

As for Macs, I don't know.  I guess that Telnet from the Mac to the
Wolly package on the 3000 would be best.  The trick is getting an HP
terminal emulator on that Mac talking through Telnet.  We do have
several Macs in our department, but I don't know what we've learned
about connecting the two (I don't use either the Mac or the 3000).

   But, HP's "TCP/IP" (I don't think it is a real TCP/IP) is junk! What
   other TCP implementations exist for HPs?

I don't know of any other implementations for current MPE.  There was
a limited implementation for MPE-III, and that was last seen at White
Sands Missle Range.

Walter Underwood
HP Software Development Environments

hans@umd5.umd.edu (Hans Breitenlohner) (07/16/88)

In article <8807051808.AA14880@sde.hp.com> wunder@sde.hp.COM (Walter Underwood) writes:

>Wollongong offers FTP, Telnet, and SMTP for the 3000.  Again, the link
>layer only talks 802.3, not Ethernet.  Gateways from cisco will talk
>802.3 to the 3000, and will forward the packets in Ethernet to systems
>on the other side of the gateway.

I have been told that, in addition to the 802.3/Ethernet problem, HP 3000s
also use some mechanism other than ARP for address resolution.  Is this
correct, and could you shed some more light on this?  There are other
routers now which support 802.3, will they work with HP software?

Can you give any information as to if and when HP3000s will talk
to Ethernets, and if ARP will be supported at that time?