[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Instrumenting a TCP Implementation

tcplog@CHAKRA.CS.UMD.EDU (The TCP Logger) (07/22/88)

Hi,

We, at the Department of Computer Science, University of Maryland, have
done an instrumentation of TCP/IP. Here is the abstract from the
Technical Report describing our work:

"We describe an instrumentation of TCP/IP that monitors different aspects of
a TCP connection, provides information about its performance, and displays
relationships between a variety of variables that reflect the state of the
connection.  We define interface events for a TCP/IP connection, describe
how traces are obtained, how application processes initiate trace
collection, and how performance parameters are computed from these traces.
Data presentation tools are provided to generate different types of graphs.
The instrumentation has been done on a SUN 3/50 running UNIX (SUN OS 3.0
with 4.3BSD networking code)."

Interested persons can get a copy of the Report by sending mail to
	tcplog@chakra.cs.umd.edu

or to any of the following:
	dheeraj@tove.umd.edu
	subbu@tove.umd.edu
	shankar@mimsy.umd.edu

Please quote the following numbers in your request:

CS-TR 2063 and UMIACS-TR 88-50

-Dheeraj Sanghi
Systems Design and Analysis Group,
Department of Computer Science
University of Maryland, College Park.

kzm@TWG.COM (Keith McCloghrie) (07/29/88)

Hi,

Your message said :

> We, at the Department of Computer Science, University of Maryland, have
> done an instrumentation of TCP/IP. Here is the abstract from the
> Technical Report describing our work:
>
> "We ....
>                ... code)."
>
> Interested persons can get a copy of the Report by sending mail to
> 	tcplog@chakra.cs.umd.edu
>
> Please quote the following numbers in your request:
>
> CS-TR 2063 and UMIACS-TR 88-50

I would be interested in obtaining a copy.  If this is possible by
e-mail or ftp please reply to <kzm@twg.com>.  If not, my USmail
address is :

    Keith McCloghrie
    Director, Software Engineering
    The Wollongong Group
    1129 San Antonio Road,
    Palo Alto, Ca. 94303.

Thank-you,
Keith.

kzm@TWG.COM (Keith McCloghrie) (07/29/88)

I apologise for bothering the net with my previous message.  Immediately
after my fingers had typed the send command, I was kicking myself for
forgetting to edit the CC: line.  Of course, I was also faced with the
dilemma of whether to compound my mistake by sending out an apology.

Such is the power of e-mail these days that 19 characters on a CC: line
can wake up hundreds/thousands of mailboxes, and even more people.
Does anybody know how many people read tcp-ip ?  It would be interesting
to find out.  I guess the only way would be to ask each individual/group
of recipients to mail in a response, and add up the numbers.  Is there
any automation for this, i.e. email-survey-response processing code ?

Keith.

gregb@dowjone.UUCP (Greg_Baber) (08/01/88)

In article <8807291003.AA24101@ucbvax.berkeley.edu> kzm@TWG.COM (Keith McCloghrie) writes:
[stuff eaten]
>> We, at the Department of Computer Science, University of Maryland, have
>> done an instrumentation of TCP/IP. Here is the abstract from the
>> Technical Report describing our work:
>> "We ....
>>                ... code)."
>> Interested persons can get a copy of the Report by sending mail to
>> 	tcplog@chakra.cs.umd.edu
>> Please quote the following numbers in your request:
>> CS-TR 2063 and UMIACS-TR 88-50
Interested! Please send me the reports too.

--
Reply to: Gregory S. Baber		Voice:	(609) 520-5077
	  Dow Jones & Co., Inc.		E-mail:	..princeton!dowjone!gregb