[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] ACSNET Access

RAD@VAX01.AMS.COM (RichDeJordy@SRI-NIC.ARPA, x295) (07/19/88)

I hope someone on this list can help me.

I have a user who is attempting to reach someone by electronic mail.  The
person in question is on ACSnet and we are on Arpanet.  The address
which we were given is

	user@MONCSBRUCE.OZ (ACSNET)

I've tried various stategies to send mail to this host.  My mailer won't
accept this as is.  After searching through variou header files, I eventually
tried routing it through uu.net, but received no reply, so I assume it never
got there.  Can anyone tell my is there is a gateway or something out there
that will route this for me?

	(Oh yes, I tried all permutations of .oz and .au that I could
	think of as well, still having my mailer tell me that they were
	unknown hosts.)

Thanks in advance,
Richard DeJordy
Systems Programmer
American Mathematical Society
Post Office Box 6248
Providence, RI 02104
(401) 272-9500

RAD@MATH.AMS.COM on the Internet
-------

westine@VENERA.ISI.EDU (Ann Westine) (07/20/88)

>I have a user who is attempting to reach someone by electronic mail.  The
>person in question is on ACSnet and we are on Arpanet.  The address
>which we were given is   	user@MONCSBRUCE.OZ (ACSNET)

>I've tried various stategies to send mail to this host.  My mailer won't
>accept this as is.  After searching through variou header files, I eventually
>tried routing it through uu.net, but received no reply, so I assume it never
>got there.  Can anyone tell my is there is a gateway or something out there
>that will route this for me?

Richard,

ACSNET is an Australian Network. Try one of the following paths:

   munnari.oz.au!moncsbruce.ua.oz!username@SEISMO.CSS.GOV
   munnari.oz.au!moncsbruce.ua.oz!username@UUNET.UU.NET

Ann

kre@munnari.oz (Robert Elz) (07/21/88)

In article <8807191731.AA07235@venera.isi.edu>, westine@VENERA.ISI.EDU (Ann Westine) writes:
> ACSNET is an Australian Network. Try one of the following paths:
>
>    munnari.oz.au!moncsbruce.ua.oz!username@SEISMO.CSS.GOV
>    munnari.oz.au!moncsbruce.ua.oz!username@UUNET.UU.NET

Please don't... First, seismo no longer implements a gateway to anywhere,
and should no longer be used by anyone not communicating with a user at
the CSS.

Second, "moncsbruce.ua.oz" would place "moncsbruce" in the University
of Adelaide, which it isn't, just "moncsbruce.oz", or "moncsbruce.monash.oz"
works fine.

Third, while that revolting mixture of !'s and @'s is actually what a
return address looks like when Australian mail is seen on the internet,
I would never recommend it to anyone.

If you have a mailer that doesn't handle nameserver MX records, then you
should use

	username%moncsbruce.oz.au@uunet.uu.net

in the period while you are waiting for your mailer upgrade.

Then, just use

	username@moncsbruce.oz.au

Robert Elz				postmaster@munnari.oz.au

dave@stcns3.stc.oz (Dave Horsfall) (07/22/88)

In article <8807191731.AA07235@venera.isi.edu> westine@VENERA.ISI.EDU (Ann Westine) writes:

>>I have a user who is attempting to reach someone by electronic mail.  The
>>person in question is on ACSnet and we are on Arpanet.  The address
>>which we were given is   	user@MONCSBRUCE.OZ (ACSNET)
>

>Richard,
>
>ACSNET is an Australian Network. Try one of the following paths:
>
>   munnari.oz.au!moncsbruce.ua.oz!username@SEISMO.CSS.GOV
>   munnari.oz.au!moncsbruce.ua.oz!username@UUNET.UU.NET
>
>Ann

Close, but not close enough.  SEISMO stopped working ages ago, and that "ua"
(au mispelt?) could send it via the University of Adelaide...

Try one of the following, depending on whether you bang or domain (capitals
not necessary):

user%moncsbruce.OZ.AU@uunet.UU.NET, ...munnari!moncsbruce.OZ.AU!user

A fairly recent issue of CACM ("Notable Computer Networks") had an article
on it, but I think it still mentioned SEISMO.

Now, watch me get flamed by the local ACSnet "experts" ...

--
Dave Horsfall (VK2KFU), Alcatel-STC Australia, dave@stcns3.stc.oz
dave%stcns3.stc.OZ.AU@uunet.UU.NET, ...munnari!stcns3.stc.OZ.AU!dave

jsq@longway.TIC.COM (John S. Quarterman) (07/25/88)

In article <644@stcns3.stc.oz> dave@stcns3.stc.oz (Dave Horsfall) writes:
>A fairly recent issue of CACM ("Notable Computer Networks") had an article
>on it, but I think it still mentioned SEISMO.

Quarterman, John S. and Hoskins, Josiah C., "Notable Computer Networks,"
Communications of the ACM, Volume 29, no. 10, pp. 932-971,
Association for Computing Machinery, New York, October 1986.

Seismo ceased being a gateway in September 1987, so, yes, NCN still
mentioned it.  The examples you gave using UUNET will probably work.
Machines that understand MX records shouldn't have to indirect, though,
since OZ.AU is a legitimate domain with servers and a forwarder.

I'm near completion of a book that will be an update and expansion
of the article: John S. Quarterman, The Matrix: Computer Networks
and Conferencing Systems Worldwide, Digital Press, 1988.  For example,
I'm working on the ACSnet section now, with its developers.

Suggestions, comments, etc., welcome.

John S. Quarterman		tel: +1-512-320-9031
Texas Internet Consulting	fax: +1-512-320-5821
701 Brazos, Suite 500		jsq@longway.tic.com
Austin, TX 78701-3243		uunet!longway!jsq
U.S.A.				DASnet: [DET1TC]jsq
				CompuServe: 76176,664

PS: If you can't reach jsq@longway.tic.com, jsq@cs.utexas.edu should work.

mark@cbnews.ATT.COM (Mark Horton) (08/03/88)

In article <644@stcns3.stc.oz> dave@stcns3.stc.oz (Dave Horsfall) writes:
>Dave Horsfall (VK2KFU), Alcatel-STC Australia, dave@stcns3.stc.oz

What I don't understand is why some Australians advertise their addresses
as dave@stcns3.stc.oz, as shown in the From: line and the signature of
the referenced article.  .oz is NOT an official domain, while .oz.au IS.

The UUCP map does list .oz and knows how to get to it.  This puts .oz up
there with the other "semi-official" domains like .uucp, .bitnet, .cdn,
and the like.  People routing via UUCP can get to them, but people using
some other incarnation of the domain system, especially TCP/IP, cannot.

Posting to a worldwide computer network with an incomplete domain name
is like giving your phone number and forgetting the country code.  It
might work locally, but it doesn't necessarily work in some other country.

Please encourage other Australians to use the full name .oz.au on their
domain style addresses, unless they are really sure that the context is
specific to ACSNET.

>dave%stcns3.stc.OZ.AU@uunet.UU.NET, ...munnari!stcns3.stc.OZ.AU!dave

This stuff looks fine, although both are kludges to get around various
limitations when you're trying to say dave@stcns3.stc.OZ.AU .  If this
form doesn't work, then something is broken somewhere (or maybe the
person you're sending to just doesn't answer their mail.)

	Mark