[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] How many people receive TCP-IP

enger@GBURG.SCC.COM (08/01/88)

An easy way to get a start at the determination is to look at the
main distribution list at the NIC.  Telnet to SRI-NIC.ARPA port 25
and type EXPN TCP-IP.  I believe this will indicate the direct recipients.

Fortunately/unfortunately, some of those direct recipients are mail exploders.
You can perform the above process iteratively to get some idea of the ultimate
number of recipients.  You will be limited unfortunately, by the fact that
not all mail systems support the EXPN command.  Guess who doesn't?
Undoubtedly a FEATURE to enhance security :-) .

My good natured ribbing should not be missconstrued as dissatisfaction with
the product.  TWG has already delivered product incorporating the
Jacobson window adjustment upgrades.  A company that incorporates important
upgrades like that in a timely fashion IS OK IN MY BOOK.

Bob Enger
Contel Federal Systems

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (08/02/88)

enger@GBURG.SCC.COM writes:
> An easy way to get a start at the determination is to look at the main
> distribution list at the NIC. [...] some of those direct recipients are
> mail exploders. [...] perform the above process iteratively to get some
> idea of the ultimate number of recipients.

	And then, don't forget to add in all the people who read TCP-IP as
its usenet alter ego, comp.protocols.tc-ip.  The most recent stats from
Brian Reid (which somehow I missed the first time around, for no reason
that I can explain) estimate that something like 9800 people see this
material in that forum.  My guess is that that far outweighs the count of
people who are on the mailing list, either directly or via mail exploders.
--
Roy Smith, System Administrator
Public Health Research Institute

DEDOUREK%UNB.CA@CORNELLC.CCS.CORNELL.EDU (08/03/88)

> enger@GBURG.SCC.COM writes:
> > An easy way to get a start at the determination is to look at the
> main > distribution list at the NIC. [...] some of those direct
>
>    And then, don't forget to add in all the people who read TCP-IP as
> its usenet alter ego, comp.protocols.tc-ip.  The most recent stats

Ditto the BITNET LISTSERV service.

John DeDourek, University of New Brunswick, Fredericton, N.B. Canada
dedourek@unb.ca  (dedourek@unb.bitnet)

ted@ultra.UUCP (Ted Schroeder) (08/04/88)

ames!nyu.edu!phri!roy  (Roy Smith) writes:
>	And then, don't forget to add in all the people who read TCP-IP as
> its usenet alter ego, comp.protocols.tc-ip.

Also don't forget the bitnet shadow list TCPIP-L at BYUADMIN!

      Ted Schroeder                   ultra!ted@Ames.arc.nasa.GOV
      Ultra Network Technologies
      2140 Bering drive               with a domain server:
      San Jose, CA 95131                 ted@Ultra.COM
      408-922-0100