[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Host-down redirects?

WANCHO@SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Frank J. Wancho") (09/01/88)

Monday evening SIMTEL20 came back online after being down for 18 days
awaiting air conditioner repair.  During the downtime, we activated
duplicate logins on our sister site in St. Louis.  However, unless our
users happened to call in or paid attention to previous announcements
to check the signon banner at the St. Louis host, they had no way of
knowing to try the alternate host.  That was one problem - admittedly
one of having our users know our SOP.

The other problem was that some, possibly critical or time-critical
mail was eventually returned to the sender during that interval.  And,
as far as I know, there is no "automatic" redirection possible.  Or is
there?

What I have in mind is that, given that I could have made the St.
Louis host think that its alias was SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (and the older
SIMTEL20.ARPA) via a quick modification to the hosts tables, would it
have been (and is it) possible to have gotten our PSN to redirect
connection requests intended for our downed host to the St. Louis
host for the duration of the downtime?  If not, why not?  For those of
us who take the requirement for mandatory Continuity of Operations
Plans (COOP) seriously, such a feature would close the gap and make it
reasonable to implement when needed.

Note: I am aware of the clever solution to this problem implemented at
BRL, but I'm not prepared to move off the backbone at this time (due
to our heavy traffic which would probably swamp most gateways) to take
advantage of that route.

--Frank

ado@VAX.BBN.COM (Buz Owen) (09/02/88)

I believe you could use 1822L logical addressing for this purpose, by arranging
that only one host enables a particular logical address at a time -- i.e.  when
backing up some other host.  Of coure you have to using 1822l headers, and be
willing to change your host addresses, both possibly formidable obstacles.  Buz

craig@SH.CS.NET (Craig Partridge) (09/02/88)

> The other problem was that some, possibly critical or time-critical
> mail was eventually returned to the sender during that interval.  And,
> as far as I know, there is no "automatic" redirection possible.  Or is
> there?

Frank:

    Automatic redirection is possible using MX RR's in the domain name
system. The feature was included for just this problem.

    Quite simply, you make your backup host a backup mail exchanger (MX).
Then whenever your primary host is down, mail gets delivered to your
backup.  For short term outages, your backup machine simply waits for
your primary to come up again, then forwards the mail on.  But when
the primary is going to be down for a long time, you can reconfigure
your mailer to have the backup actually deliver the mail sitting in
its queues.

Craig

WANCHO@SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Frank J. Wancho") (09/02/88)

Bob,

Most of our users exchange mail with other MILNET hosts.  I suspect
about 95-99% of those hosts still run off of the NIC hosts table, as
we currently do.  When we are all forced to use domain resolvers, then
your suggested solution would appear the way to go.

--Frank

mckee@MITRE.ARPA (H. Craig McKee) (09/02/88)

I am one of the (probably many) people who agree with the need for
a COOP.  It is my imperfect understanding that the PSNs can, or will,
support logical adressing.  Specifically, two or more PSN ports can have
the same name, or, a single port can have two or more names.  Such a
capability would have made things easy for you.  Regards - Craig

stjohns@BEAST.DDN.MIL (Mike St. Johns) (09/02/88)

   Date: Thu, 01 Sep 88 16:02:24 -0400
   From: Buz Owen <ado@VAX.BBN.COM>

   I believe you could use 1822L logical addressing for this purpose,
   by arranging that only one host enables a particular logical
   address at a time -- i.e.  when backing up some other host.  Of
   coure you have to using 1822l headers, and be willing to change
   your host addresses, both possibly formidable obstacles.  Buz

NO! NO! NO!   If *everyone* on the Milnet had a capability for logical
addressing, and a defined mapping between an IP address and a logical
address, this would work.  However, we've still got a substantial
community of subscribers who use 1822; those who use X.25 have both
the capability and the defined mappings.  Eventually, we hope to
modify the 1822 interface to conform to the 1822L bit mappings and to
allow a vanilla 1822 host to specify a logical address without having
to change its programming.  That's a ways in the future - lots of
other things have priority.

Mike

brescia@PARK-STREET.BBN.COM (Mike Brescia) (09/02/88)

     ... SIMTEL20 came back online after being down for 18 days ...  activated
     duplicate logins on our sister site ...

Logical addressing is what you might use to direct connections to an alternate
server.

1. Since tac connections are probably still done numerically by your users,
you could educate them about opening connections by name if the name server
version of TACACS is running.

2. For long-term (more than a week) outage, you could try changing your host
table entry at your domain name server (or the NIC).  Even hosts that use the
NIC host table should eventually get the address change.

3. On an arpanet (e.g. the Milnet), the PSN's support logical addressing,
both for X.25 and for 1822-AHIP.  Your name server and host tables identify
your address as a 'logical' one, such as 26.64.0.99, and you then can tell
any one (or more) of your hosts to come up with that address.  The problem
with this solution is that there are no hosts that implement 1822-AHIP
logical addressing.

4. If you were on an ethernet, you'd get logical addressing for free, and
your host would have to act as multiple addresses on a single interface.

     ... the clever solution to this problem implemented at BRL ...

Was this using ethernet addressing?

Yours for logical networking,
Mike