[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Forwarding a bounced mail message.

NETMGR@NSSDCA.GSFC.NASA.GOV (SPAN Network Info Center 286-7251, 301) (09/15/88)

From:	NCF::SYSTEM       30-AUG-1988 15:02
To:	POSTMASTER
Subj:	Mail error notification

Cannot deliver message to following recipients:
CLYNN@g.BBN.COM.
   Reason: EXOS Mail error:  Connection timed out

*** Original message follows: ***

Date: Tue, 30 Aug 88 11:37:14 EST
From: postmaster@nssdca.GSFC.NASA.GOV
Subject:  Re: Call queueing
To: CLYNN@g.BBN.COM

 *** VMS error in delivery mail, error message follows ***

EXOS Mail server: delivery error: %MAIL-E-OPENOUT, error opening
NCF_ADM_USER:[PETERS.MAIL]MAIL$0004009181D1D9D7.MAI; as output
EXOS Mail server: delivery error: -RMS-E-CRE, ACP file create failed_ADM_US
ER:[PETERS.MAIL]MAIL$0004009181D1D9D7.MAI; as output
EXOS Mail server: delivery error: -SYSTEM-F-EXDISKQUOTA, disk quota exceededR:[PETERS.MAIL]MAIL$0004009181D1D9D7.MAI; as output
EXOS Mail server: delivery error:
%MAIL-E-OPENOUT, error opening NCF_ADM_USER:[PETERS.MAIL]MAIL$0004009181D1D9D7.MAI; as output
-RMS-E-CRE, ACP file create failed
-SYSTEM-F-EXDISKQUOTA, disk quota exceeded

 *** Original message follows ***

From : CLYNN@G.BBN.COM

Date:  29 Aug 1988 11:18-EDT
Sender:  CLYNN@G.BBN.COM
To:  tcp-ip-request@SRI-NIC.ARPA
Cc:  tcp-ip@SRI-NIC.ARPA

Jeremy,
	As John pointed out, the call queueing is used to reduce the
probability that a SYN arrives during a window where there is no listening
connection to bind it to, thus causing a RESET to be returned.  Queueing
can only reduce it, since it is always possible for there to be more
arriving SYNs than there are remaining free queue slots.  However, I reguard
specifying the size to the kernel to be more for the purpose of "limiting"
resources (such as processes [from the forks] and cpu cycles) than for
"allocating" them.
	As with all implementations, tradeoffs have been made.  I feel that
one of the "minuses" with the BSD implementation is that not only does the
listen cause the arriving SYN to be accepted and bound to a new TCP connection
block, but that the protocol machine is also started.  Thus a connection may
proceed to the ESTABLISHED state and accept/ACKnowledge (usually 4K bytes of)
data before the application-level peer (process) is even created.  This
prevents the process from:
    1) examining the IP-address identity of the caller before deciding
       ACKnowledge the SYN vs. send a RESET,
          What if X were to place a "collect" call to such an implementation
          and send 4K data; then the receiver process start up and decides
          it doesn't want to accept the call.  Who pays for the 4K bytes?
          (The receiver COULD make the 4K available to the appliaction.)
    2) checking its routing tables and applying administratively specified
       per IP-address source routing, etc.,
    3) selecting initialization parters based on IP-level parameters such as
       TOS and options, or
           Maybe local system has a method for setting the TCP MSS (which
           the spec says has to be in the SYN packet).
    4) specifying initial TCP-level options, etc.

Charlie

NETMGR@NSSDCA.GSFC.NASA.GOV (SPAN Network Info Center 286-7251, 301) (09/15/88)

From:	NCF::EXOS         30-AUG-1988 11:25
To:	POSTMASTER
Subj:	Mail error notification

Cannot deliver message to following recipients:
spock!a3bee2!omega!grzesiak@yale-bulldog.ARPA.
   Reason: EXOS Mail error in following SMTP transaction:
>>> RCPT To:<spock!a3bee2!omega!grzesiak@yale-bulldog.ARPA>
<<< 550 <spock!a3bee2!omega!grzesiak@yale-bulldog.ARPA>... User unknown

*** Original message follows: ***

Date: Tue, 30 Aug 88 11:05:18 EST
From: postmaster@nssdca.GSFC.NASA.GOV
Subject:  Net Help
To: spock!a3bee2!omega!grzesiak@yale-bulldog.ARPA

 *** VMS error in delivery mail, error message follows ***

EXOS Mail server: delivery error: %MAIL-E-OPENOUT, error opening
NCF_ADM_USER:[PETERS.MAIL]MAIL$0004009181CD74B5.MAI; as output
EXOS Mail server: delivery error: -RMS-E-CRE, ACP file create
failed_ADM_USER:[PETERS.MAIL]MAIL$0004009181CD74B5.MAI; as output
EXOS Mail server: delivery error: -SYSTEM-F-EXDISKQUOTA, disk quota
exceededR:[PETERS.MAIL]MAIL$0004009181CD74B5.MAI; as output

From : spock!a3bee2!omega!grzesiak@yale-bulldog.arpa

Date:  27 Aug 88 16:42:06 GMT
Sender:  tcp-ip-request@sri-nic.arpa
To:  tcp-ip@sri-nic.arpa

Hello:
   I have an implementation I'd like to try and have little idea
 about how to go about it. I have a few UNIX boxes , two of which are
 CADMUS 9000's . I have Network cards and drivers for these systems.
 The cards I have are: 3com ethernet and Excelan EXOS 203 (a pair of each).

 What I'd like to know is:
      A) Which of these is a better install?
         (Ease of install , reliable , versatile ,etc)
      B) Can these cards be cheated and how?
         ( Can they be used point to point without tranceivers
            because all I need from them is remote disk mount capability)
      C) If these cards can't be cheated , where can I get thin ethernet
         tranceivers and equipment for these?

    Any help is appreciated - Thank you in advance.....

      John Grzesiak
      Omega Dynamics
      47 Spring Street
      Wallingford Ct 06492.    (203) 284-8530 voice
                               (203) 289-9300 work (9-5 Eastern)
                               (203) 284-3776 guest:guest (computer)