[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] It's in print, so it must be true...

mrose@TWG.COM (Marshall Rose) (09/02/88)

Just when you think Padlipsky and Karn have hit the depths of extremism,
here we have something from the other side of the spectrum:

Reading from the Opinions section of Network World, August 29, 1988 on
page 27, from an article entitled "The long, bumpy migration path to
OSI":

    "OSI, on the other hand is significantly superior to TCP/IP in every
    way: at every protocol layer, in every class of protocol and in
    every application, the richness of OSI application-layer protocols
    is evident to every user."

The author's name is Jeff Horn, he is a consultant with Network
Strategies, Inc., a communications consulting firm in Fairfax, VA.

Phil -- I encourage you to send a nasty letter to either the author or
Network World.  This is the second time in one week when I've read an
article claiming the technical superiority of OSI over TCP/IP at every
layer.  The last article I read said that "OSI was significantly faster
than TCP/IP".

Have fun,

/mtr

bzs@BU-CS.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) (09/03/88)

Does anyone know who edits/funds/controls Network World? They've been
shoving anti-TCP articles on their front pages since their first
issue. These are definitely folks with a (blind) mission. Murdoch?
Jim and Tammy?

	-Barry Shein, ||Encore||

stjohns@BEAST.DDN.MIL (Mike St. Johns) (09/04/88)

Hmm - I've noticed the balance swinging in recent issues - but you've
got to realize they write for the *commercial* world, and since no
*big* vendor has embraced TCP/IP (touched, yes, embraced no) they have
little interest in covering it.  Also, from my one brush with the
reporters, these are NOT network guru type people - these are
journalists specializing in technical reporting.

Mike

kwe@bu-cs.BU.EDU (kwe@bu-it.bu.edu (Kent W. England)) (09/07/88)

In article <8809021858.AA14697@bu-cs.bu.edu>
 bzs@BU-CS.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) writes:

>Does anyone know who edits/funds/controls Network World? They've been
>shoving anti-TCP articles on their front pages since their first
>issue. These are definitely folks with a (blind) mission. Murdoch?
>Jim and Tammy?
>
>	-Barry Shein, ||Encore||

	Hmm, I hadn't really noticed any trends.  Seems to me I've
read about as many "TCP/IP taking networking world by storm!" articles
as I have "SNA taking networking world by storm!" and "OSI predicted
to take networking world by storm very soon!" articles.  I have
noticed a lot of NSFnet bashing this summer, but also elsewhere, so it
isn't limited to NW.

	I think CW Communications started Network World as a spinoff
from ComputerWorld, although I find no trace today of CW in the NW
copyright box on page 2.

	I wouldn't expect to find a conspiracy within NW, just a lot
of harried, overworked, underpaid, and inexperienced editors and
reporters and contributors, all trying to fill up a lot of pages with
text and advertising.  And that's the crux of the whole problem.  Not
enough time and money to do a really top-notch job.  Of course, by way
of disclaimer, this problem is by no means limited to NW, it affects
all the publications that work the same way- free distribution paid
for by advertising.  (ConneXions is an example of a counter-trend and
you can see the difference in number of pages, subscription cost per
page, quality, and accuracy.  But no one is getting rich either in NW
or ACE.)

	An awful lot of the stuff you read is just regurgitated press
releases dressed up with a few quick phone calls and enough editing to
fit the article in the space available.  As long as you use the
information therein according to the source, NW can be a useful tool
for getting the word on new product introductions, upcoming
conferences, results of standards committee meetings, and of course
the advertising pages which announce new products and offerings in a
slightly more transparent way.

	I sympathize with the staff at NW, but I don't excuse the
sloppiness.  My feelings are that if we could address the issue of
copyright and compensation for electronically distributed
information and electronic distribution of formatted graphics and
text, ala Postscript (tm), we could solve the problems of narrow-cast
publishing by moving to electronic publishing.  Until that day, I am
thankful to be a part of the Internet newsreading public.

	Those that I do feel are culpable abusers of the public trust
are those columnists that write about issues that affect sales of
their books and software.  The issue of computer viruses is a case in
point. I feel that publications should screen their columnists, no
matter how well known and popular, and avoid publishing authors in the
context of regular columns who have products to sell, with sales that
can be affected by what they say in their columns.

	If you disagree, I think it would be interesting to track some
of these anti-TCP articles in NW and elsewhere and see if we can spot
a trend.  By way of example, a while back a series of little
news-spots and pie charts started appearing in Data Communications, NW
and probably elsewhere, all attributed to one source about how
token-ring networks were surpassing Ethernet networks in various
measures.  All calculated to give the impression that a) either
Ethernet was dead and you better install TR or b) TR was socially
acceptable :-)  Anyone remember seeing these?  This is a PR campaign
originating from one single source with a particular agenda in mind.
Is this insidious?  No more than what the White House does to the
White House press corps.  I don't blame the media for parroting, I
just try to figure out who is behind some of what I read and then
apply the appropriate derating factors.

	If anyone has any similar stories they recall seeing, post
something.  Maybe we can figure out if anyone in particular has a
hidden agenda going.  Perhaps there is a contributor or editor at NW
that has a parrot on his shoulder.  Once you know the name and
affiliation of the parrot, the game's up.

	Kent England, BU

budden@tetra.NOSC.MIL (Rex A. Buddenberg) (09/08/88)

Kent,

No trends to report in Network World, but I second some of your
comments.  Couple months back, NW published a front page article
on SAFENET.  The reporter interviewed (now retired) Cdr Marc
Poland who was the Navy's program manager for the standardization
effort.  The reporter went away with a manuscript that he and I had
written, in anticipation of such events.  The reason the article was
tolerably accurate was that I read an awful lot of what I had
written!  A lot of cut & paste going on.

The current issue (arrived today) has an article on comparing
throughput for various LANs.  I thought I understood the issue,
and can explain it to others.  But after reading this hack job,
I'm not so sure....:-)

Rex Buddenberg

cperry@BERT.MITRE.ORG (09/09/88)

Kent,

OK, here goes.

If what you read on the front page of your favorite trade rag doesn't
smell quite right, it's probably a result of one of three things:
naivete, bandwagon-ism or profiteering.  Unfortunately you're not sure
which, though the result is the same:  you're mis-informed by somebody
who should've known enough to write a balanced news story.  Although most
reporters who write for the trade press are conscientious, there are
enough sloppy ones and enough drum-beaters to make reading an occasionally
hazardous activity.

Usual disclaimers.

Regards,

Chris Perry

rick@SEISMO.CSS.GOV (Rick Adams) (09/09/88)

You're leaving out stupidity and arrogance.

I once talked to a "reporter" for Computer Decisions about the TCP/IP
fiber optic network we were running (this was 1983 or 84 and there
wasn't much fiber around).

Among other things, I said that we were running Sun 3/160
workstations.

I also asked to see a copy of his article before publication so I could
correct any technical errors he might have made.

The arrogant twit gave be a big speech about how he was a
"professional" and did not tolerate "censorship" of his "work".

Well, it seems that Mr. Professional wasn't very smart and had never
heard of Sun 3/160s. So he "corrected" me in the article and when it
was published we ended up running a network of IBM 360s.

(I got calls from people trying to sell me IBM services for over a year
after that article).

Moral: Never rely on the information in a trade magazine for any
reason. You MUST verify it yourself if you are doing something that
depends on it.

---rick

kwe@BU-IT.BU.EDU (09/10/88)

	For another laugh, have a look at the "Networking" page in
last weeks' InfoWorld where someone tries to explain broadcast
storms and black holes...  It's a grin.
	Wonder what people reading this rag think about our nets?

bzs@BU-CS.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) (09/11/88)

Howsabout all this Computer Virus stuff. I've been called by BU Public
Relations and other media folks in search of an interview from "an
expert" on computer viruses (not my dept.)

Now some guy claims to be selling "vaccines" for computer viruses and
Chicken Noodle News gets out their science editor to write it up as if
it were a medical story that goes alongside the latest AIDS reports.

The guy with the vaccine in a real serious tone tells about how
sometimes the disks get so infected the only thing to do is to throw
them away (no kidding!)

Is this a cargo cult or what?

If anyone has any seriously infected 300MB 5 1/4" drives please wrap
them carefully in plastic (wearing rubber gloves and scrubbing with
Betadine afterwards, to the elbows) and send them to me, I've decided
to open a hospice for them to find peace in their fate.

	-Barry Shein, ||Encore||

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (09/11/88)

In article <8809102055.AA08349@bu-cs.bu.edu> bzs@BU-CS.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) writes:
>Howsabout all this Computer Virus stuff. I've been called by BU Public
>Relations and other media folks in search of an interview from "an
>expert" on computer viruses (not my dept.)

There was someone at the last USENIX with a card that listed his profession
as "cyberimmunologist".

--
Steve Dyer
dyer@harvard.harvard.edu

budden@tetra.NOSC.MIL (Rex A. Buddenberg) (09/11/88)

In article <8809091827.AA04055@buit13> kwe@BU-IT.BU.EDU writes:

>	Wonder what people reading this rag think about our nets?

This is the part that should be of concern to all of us in such
rags.  A good reputation takes a long time to build.  One bad
reporting job and you can tear a lot down in one swell foop.
It's in all our interests to counter such inaccuracies best we can.

Rex Buddenberg

bzs@BU-CS.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) (09/13/88)

And, to risk being accused of a keen eye for the obvious, maintain a
sense of humor or don't give interviews unless you're very comfortable
with the interviewer and the possibility of being misquoted or
misunderstood, it's inevitable in my experience.

ComputerWorld interviewed me about some stuff a while back and managed
to botch the organizational tree and which dept was doing what for
whom. I guess it trod on some internal sensitive spots, no one outside
could possibly have spotted the errors and some were quite
understandable. Didn't stop people from appearing at my door, angry,
pointing out that X doesn't work for Y or the Z group doesn't do that!

Of course not, of course they knew I knew, of course they realized the
reporter had filled in various holes by himself, didn't stop the
complaints, as if I had written the article.

Ah well, at least they got almost all the tech stuff right, and that's
what the article was about.

	-Barry Shein, ||Encore||

ROBERT@vm1.mcgill.ca (Robert Craig) (09/13/88)

Even if you write it down, a journalist or editor can
either misunderstand or overlook.  I had one send me
a copy of the article, which I corrected and returned.
We then had a lengthy phone conversation during which I
dictated some quotes.  I had also sent a fair amount of
material to begin with (say 50 pages worth).

Even after all this effort, when the article appeared,
it was only 50% accurate.  I guess journalism is like
baseball: batting .500 is excellent.

Robert.

slf@well.UUCP (Sharon Lynne Fisher) (09/15/88)

I'm the Networking editor for InfoWorld, and I'm glad somebody told me about
this discussion so I could participate.  (I haven't visited this newsgroup
in a while, because I've been too busy.)

In answer to some questions:

yes, Network World is a spinoff of Computerworld.  Forget the editor's name;
he's new.

Regarding  some of the things that have been said, I'm sorry to say
that some are true.  Kent England's description -- we make enough phone calls
to verify the press release and rewrite it -- is true more often than I'd
like to admit.  (Oh, by the way -- InfoWorld is a sister publication of
Computerworld and Network World; we focus on the PC end of things.)  And
yes, reporters sometimes make mistakes; editors sometimes do too -- I can't
tell you how many times a copy editor has pointed to V.22 bis in a story and
said, "Is this right?"

Regarding the InfoWorld article on black holes that somebody was laughing
at -- I was on vacation that week, and the person in charge of the section
that week found himself with a rather sizable hole on the page late on the day
it was supposed to go to the printer.  (We ship pages every day, and most
people have deadlines every day.  I've had weeks where I've written 14 stories.)
Anyway, he researched and wrote that story in less than an hour.  Of course,
it looks it.  But sometimes these things happen.  I'm not trying to justify
errors; just letting you know the background.

Yes, most of the people I know in weekly computer journalism have journalist
backgrounds.  Reporters are paid $20,000-$30,000 per year.  This is riches
compared to what newspapers pay, which is why journalists come to computer
magazines.  But it's shit compared to what engineers and computer scientists
are paid, which is why you don't see too many of them there.  (I'm an
exception; I have a BS in computer science from RPI.  And there's a couple
other real techies here.  But we're definitely the exception.)

Again, I'm not trying to excuse errors.  Errors are inexcusable, and I would
be very glad if you-all told me every time InfoWorld made one.  (I may go slit
my wrists afterwards, though.)  It would make me feel better if you also told
me every time we did something well, too.