[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Proteon p4200 Packet Drop Rates

KASTEN@MITVMA.MIT.EDU (Frank Kastenholz) (09/21/88)

Does anyone have any numbers on packet dropping by Proteon p4200 IP Routers?
Please include a description (brief!) of your environment.

I have set up a test suite of two p4200's, two IBM PS/2 model 60's, and 3
Ethernets:

    PS/2          p4200         p4200          PS/2
      |           |   |         |   |            |
      V           V   V         V   V            V
    ---------------   -----------   ---------------
       Ether              Ether         Ether

Running the MIT/CMU PC/IP Ping between the two PS/2's continuously
I see packet losses (i.e. response timeouts) on the order of 1 in
every 2500 ping requests (or 1 every 5000 packets - 1 packet for the
request, one for the response). There is no other traffic, etc on
the nets at the time of the tests. Is this number high? low? ???

I will be glad to summarize to the net, as well as provide more
quantitative information as I continue the studies.

Thanks
Frank Kastenholz
Atex/Eastman Kodak

hans@umd5.umd.edu (Hans Breitenlohner) (09/24/88)

In article <8809211412.AA08336@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> KASTEN@MITVMA.MIT.EDU (Frank Kastenholz) asks about packet drop rates for p4200s.

You did not state what software you are running.  If you are running 7.4,
or if you are running 8.0 and did not change the defaults for ARP timers,
the p4200 will flush its ARP entry periodically (I think every 5 minutes),
and in the process of needing to do a new ARP a packet will get lost.
You did not say how fast you were sending packets, but 1 in 5000 sounds
about right for that scenario.

If you are running the level 8.0 software you can use the ENABLE AUTO-REFRESH
command in the ARP configuration section to make this problem disappear.

Other than this I can't think of any reason why you should lose any packets
in your simple setup.

emv@mailrus.cc.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) (09/24/88)

In article <8809211412.AA08336@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> KASTEN@MITVMA.MIT.EDU (Frank Kastenholz) writes:
>Running the MIT/CMU PC/IP Ping between the two PS/2's continuously
>I see packet losses (i.e. response timeouts) on the order of 1 in
>every 2500 ping requests (or 1 every 5000 packets - 1 packet for the
>request, one for the response). There is no other traffic, etc on

it could be that the drops are happening on the pc, not at the
proteon.  try it out with the ka9q pinger as well to isolate
software/hardware differences on the pc end.  Which ether card
are you using?

I trust proteons more than I trust the MIT/CMU PC/IP.

--Ed