[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Telnet to a tcp port other than 23

rdp@pbseps.UUCP (Richard Perlman) (10/01/88)

I am looking for a telnet implementation that allows connection
to a tcp port other than 23 (the default port for telnet).

I have tried both Sun's and NCSA's products, but neither has a
provision to specify a port other than 23.

I know this is possible, since the telnet implementation on our
Sequent (UNIX) Symmetry has this feature.

In case you are wondering why this feature is desireable:
we have an async server that allows each port to be configured
with a unique tcp port address (>1025).  With out being to
specify the port all "calls" go to the default port 23.

---
Richard Perlman * pbseps!rdp@PacBell.COM || {ames,sun,att}!pacbell!pbseps!rdp
180 New Montgomery St. rm 602,  San Francisco, CA  94105  |*|  (415) 545-0233

cyrus@hi.unm.edu (Tait Cyrus) (10/01/88)

In article <282@pbseps.UUCP> rdp@pbseps.PacBell.COM (Richard Perlman) writes:
 >I am looking for a telnet implementation that allows connection
 >to a tcp port other than 23 (the default port for telnet).
 >
 >I have tried both Sun's and NCSA's products, but neither has a
 >provision to specify a port other than 23.
 >
 >Richard Perlman * pbseps!rdp@PacBell.COM || {ames,sun,att}!pacbell!pbseps!rdp

What do you mean Sun's telnet does not allow this.  It sure does.
Just type:
	telnet <machine> <port>
where <port> is either a number or a name mentioned in /etc/services;
i.e. telnet <machine> mail

My sun man page looks like:

TELNET(1C)                USER COMMANDS                TELNET(1C)

NAME
     telnet - user interface to a remote system using the  TELNET
     protocol

SYNOPSIS
     telnet [ host [ port ] ]

Don't know about NCSA, though I would assume it also has this ability.

---
    @__________@    W. Tait Cyrus   (505) 277-0806
   /|         /|    University of New Mexico
  / |        / |    Dept of ECE - Parallel Processing Research Group
 @__|_______@  |    Albuquerque, New Mexico 87131
 |  |       |  |
 @/_________@/

rdp@pbseps.UUCP (Richard Perlman) (10/02/88)

And in article <23648@hi.unm.edu> cyrus@hi.unm.edu (Tait Cyrus) answers:
>What do you mean Sun's [UNIX] telnet does not allow this.  It sure does.
>Just type:
>	telnet <machine> <port>

And he is, of course, correct.  It was my error in not clearly
explaining the problem.  I meant telnet for *MS-DOS*, as
distributed with PC-NFS.  Now that that's clear, any other ideas.

-----

emv@mailrus.cc.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) (10/02/88)

In article <284@pbseps.UUCP> rdp@pbseps.PacBell.COM (Richard Perlman) writes:
>In article <282@pbseps.UUCP> I wrote:
>>I am looking for a telnet implementation that allows connection
>>to a tcp port other than 23 (the default port for telnet).

ka9q lets you do that.

--Ed

yba@arrow.bellcore.com (Mark Levine) (10/03/88)

In article <284@pbseps.UUCP> rdp@pbseps.PacBell.COM (Richard Perlman) writes:
>explaining the problem.  I meant telnet for *MS-DOS*, as
>distributed with PC-NFS.  Now that that's clear, any other ideas.

(Replied by e-mail, but this nails it down better:)

You can also try to get the PC/IP package from the MIT Laboratory for
Computer Science; last I knew they still were selling it, perhaps through
the microcomputer store at MIT.

Eleazor bar Shimon, once and future Carolingian
yba@sabre.bellcore.com

stev@VAX.FTP.COM (10/05/88)

*-----
*Richard Perlman * pbseps!rdp@PacBell.COM || {ames,sun,att}!pacbell!pbseps!rdp
*180 New Montgomery St. rm 602,  San Francisco, CA  94105  |*|  (415) 545-0233

both PC/TCP from FTP Software and ka9q from Phil Karn
allow this . . . . . . .

stev knowles
ftp software
617-868-4878
stev@ftp.co

geoff@eagle_snax.UUCP ( R.H. coast near the top) (10/06/88)

I've posted a bug on the failure of PC-NFS Telnet to use \nfs\services
to determine the port to be used. However there is a workaround for now.
Instead of invoking the TELNET frontend, you can run the EMTELNET
program directly, using the following syntax:

	emtelnet IPADDR -p PORT -h HOST -e EMUL -d NFSDRIVE

for example

	emtelnet 192.9.215.185 -p 23 -h cookie -e VT100 -d C

The IPADDR and HOST refer to the same system: the HOST name is
used only for display purposes. (The objective here is to keep
the name resolution code out of the potentially TSRable Telnet runtime.)
--
Geoff Arnold, Sun Microsystems Inc.+------------------------------------------+
PC Distrib. Sys. (home of PC-NFS)  |If you do nothing, you will automatically |