[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Need TCP/IP support for 3C505 card

irab@amtfocus.UUCP (Ira Brenner) (09/27/88)

After many a days effort spent trying to get my PC's up on my network,
I am looking for some new information. We currently have a TCP/IP net
with many different systems up and operational. Unfortunately we can
not seem to get our PC's working correctly. We have 3Com 3C505 boards,
about a year old, and Wollongong Groups WIN/PC product for software.
The problem is the WIN/PC software (at least the revision level we're
at) does not seem to support the 3C505 properly. I am not writing this to
flame on Wollongong specifically, but their help in this situation has
left much to be desired. Anyway, the real question is: are there any other
software packages, possibly public domain, that will support the 3C505?
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
						Thanks,
						 Ira

UUCP:{gatech, chinet, clyde}!mcdchg!amtfocus!irab

berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu (09/28/88)

I think NCSA Telnet 2.2 supports that card, though I've had some
problems getting it to work on some of my machines.  The software
is free, so it doesn't cost you anything to try.  Version 2.1
works fine but doesn't support a wide variety of ethernet boards.

			Mike Berger
			Department of Statistics
			Science, Technology, and Society
			University of Illinois

			berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu
			{convex | pur-ee}!uiucuxc!clio!berger

john@polyof.UUCP ( John Buck ) (09/28/88)

In article <157@amtfocus.UUCP>, irab@amtfocus.UUCP (Ira Brenner) writes:
>  ... We have 3Com 3C505 boards,
> about a year old, and Wollongong Groups WIN/PC product for software.
> The problem is the WIN/PC software (at least the revision level we're
> at) does not seem to support the 3C505 properly. I am not writing this to
> flame on Wollongong specifically, but their help in this situation has
> left much to be desired. Anyway, the real question is: are there any other
> software packages, possibly public domain, that will support the 3C505?

Yes, but I don't know if your luck with FTP Software, Inc. is going to
be much better!  We recently got a 3Com-523 (Micro-channel) card for
our new PS2 system.  We had an AT with a 3C505, and upgraded.  I called
FTP Inc. and asked to order the version for the 523...  They said I could
upgrade my old software for the new software for a reasonable price.
The lady told me she would ship it "right away".  That was over a month
ago.  I called FTP today, and they said that their latest product
is "on hold".  She did not know "when it would be released for shipment."
I find this very annoying, and hard to believe!  (How can they not
know when a release is going to be ready?)  However, we have been using
their older version, 1.16, and it works fine with a 3C505.  If you
plan on ordering it from them, however, be prepared to wait a loooooooooong
time, as their shipment/release policies seem lacking.
I can not comment on the 3C523 software yet, as we (obviously) do not
have it.

BTW, if you can wait for your software, FTP can be reached at: 617-868-4878

john@polyof.poly.edu [128.238.10.100]
john@polygraf.bitnet

jack@turnkey.TCC.COM (Jack F. Vogel) (09/30/88)

In article <157@amtfocus.UUCP> irab@amtfocus.UUCP (Ira Brenner) writes:
>Anyway, the real question is: are there any other
>software packages, possibly public domain, that will support the 3C505?
>Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Ira,	As far as I know the current version of KA9Q will support the
3Com board, I have not used it that way but seem to recall that there
was a compile-time option for doing so. I believe the MIT PC/IP package
may also support the card but am less certain about that. Both of these
packages are public domain. If you are unable to locate a site that has
these packages, drop me a note and I can give you information about how
to anonymous-uucp them from turnkey.

						Good Luck,

--
Jack F. Vogel
Turnkey Computer Consultants, Costa Mesa, CA

In article <1936@turnkey.TCC.COM> jack@turnkey.TCC.COM (Jack F. Vogel) writes:

   In article <157@amtfocus.UUCP> irab@amtfocus.UUCP (Ira Brenner) writes:
   >support [for] the 3C505?

   Ira,	As far as I know the current version of KA9Q will support the
   3Com board,
No, the built-in support is for the 3Com 3c501, not 3c505.  However, the
current version of KA9Q supports the FTP Software packet spec, so if anyone
is willing to write a driver, they can use KA9Q.

   Both of these packages [KA9Q's NET and MIT's PC/IP] are public domain.
KA9Q is certainly NOT public domain.  KA9Q is freely copyable
for non-commercial and non-governmental purposes.  KA9Q is explicitly
copyable by radio amateurs and educational institutions.  MIT's PC/IP
is also not public domain, but instead is freely copyable so long as
the copyright message remains intact.
--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])
To surrender is to remain in the hands of barbarians for the rest of my life.

lotto@wjh12.harvard.edu (Jerry Lotto) (10/02/88)

In article <383@polyof.UUCP> john@polyof.UUCP ( John Buck ) writes:
>In article <157@amtfocus.UUCP>, irab@amtfocus.UUCP (Ira Brenner) writes:

>>                      Anyway, the real question is: are there any other
>> software packages, possibly public domain, that will support the 3C505?

>be much better!  We recently got a 3Com-523 (Micro-channel) card for
>our new PS2 system.  We had an AT with a 3C505, and upgraded.

upgraded?

>            I called FTP today, and they said that their latest product
>is "on hold".  She did not know "when it would be released for shipment."
>I find this very annoying, and hard to believe!  (How can they not
>know when a release is going to be ready?).

Try any number of problems, the printer didn't return the manuals on
time. Someone reported a bug that HAD to be fixed. An RFC was
released. etc... They do a pretty good job getting things out the
door, but they are a small company and cannot do many things in-house.

>plan on ordering it from them, however, be prepared to wait a loooooooooong
>time, as their shipment/release policies seem lacking.

I think that this posting was a knee-jerk reaction, extrapolating a single
data point! I have had nothing but good service from FTP. They are a damn
site smaller than the companies that they compete with, you can still
talk to the actual developers on the phone if you have to. It is a shame
that you had a bad experience, may I suggest (if you are in a rush to
get something working), that you call back and ask WHY things are on hold.
Perhaps you can get code sooner than you think.

>                                      FTP can be reached at: 617-868-4878

BTW, the 505 driver has been available for quite some time. This was the
original question. The fact that you were trying to get a 523 driver was
interesting, but had nothing to do with a response to the first posting.

Disclaimer -	These are my personal opinions, I do not represent Harvard
		in this posting. I do not hold stock in or work for FTP.
		I do know the crew over there pretty well, and have a lot
		of respect for what they can accomplish.
--
Gerald Lotto - Harvard Chemistry Dept.
UUCP:  {seismo,harpo,ihnp4,linus,allegra,ut-sally}!harvard!lotto

geoff@eagle_snax.UUCP ( R.H. coast near the top) (10/06/88)

PC-NFS (and hence the PC-NFS Programmer's Toolkit) supports the
3C505.
--
Geoff Arnold, Sun Microsystems Inc.+------------------------------------------+
PC Distrib. Sys. (home of PC-NFS)  |If you do nothing, you will automatically |

timk@NCSA.UIUC.EDU (Tim Krauskopf) (10/06/88)

>	I think NCSA Telnet 2.2 supports that card, though I've had some
>	problems getting it to work on some of my machines.  The software
>	is free, so it doesn't cost you anything to try.  Version 2.1
>	works fine but doesn't support a wide variety of ethernet boards.
>
>				Mike Berger
>				Department of Statistics
>				Science, Technology, and Society
>				University of Illinois
>
>				berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu
>				{convex | pur-ee}!uiucuxc!clio!berger

Sorry, NCSA Telnet does NOT support the 3C505 board in version 2.2.
We have a user-contributed driver for the 3C505 which works with a
modified version of NCSA Telnet 2.1 -- anyone care to update it to
version 2.2?  Bruce (the author), have you updated it yet?

Tim Krauskopf                timk@ncsa.uiuc.edu (ARPA)

National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA)