[net.jobs] In response to Tracy A. McInvale and her postings to net.jobs

tlr@umcp-cs.UUCP (Terry L. Ridder) (10/24/85)

	I have sent mail to Tracy twice concerning her questions
	concerning posting resumes to the NET. I must assume that
	she never received them. I will post one of the responses
	in a seperate posting.

	Tracy, I have two questions for you.

	1. In a previous posting you referred to people who post
	their resumes to the NET as "losers". Would you be so kind
	as to post your definition of a "loser"?

	2. In your most recent posting you refer to the net as a
	"public network". Would you be so kind to post your definition
	of a "public network"?

	My definition of a 'public network' is as follows:

	public = 1. of, belonging to, or concerning the people as
	a whole; of or by the community at large [the public welfare,
	a public outcry] 2. for the use or benefit of all; esp.,
	supported by government funds [a public park] 3. as regards
	community, rather than private affair 4. acting in an official
	capacity on behalf of the people as a whole [a public prosecutor]
	5. known by, or open to the knowledge of, all or most people [to
	make information public, a public figure]

	network = a group, system, etc of interconnected or cooperating
	individuals.

	For USENET to become a 'public network' it would have to be funded
	by the United Nations, and governed by a unit of the United Nations.
	The reason I say this is due to the fact that USENET is world-wide.
	(See uucp maps) Therefore, the 'people' referred to the definition
	of public would be the world's population. Even that is not totally
	true. For we do not have many countries in Africa on the NET, nor
	do we have many from the Middle East. USENET is not a public network.
	USENET is paid for by colleges, universities, companys, and private
	people (like myself).

	If anyone wishes to continue this debate, I suggest that we move to
	using e-ma.

	The above definition are from the 'NEW WORLD DICTIONARY OF THE
	AMERICAN LANGUAGE'.

	The above comments are the opinions of my family and myself.
	Terry L. Ridder, Deborah G. Ridder, Sarah L. Ridder, Jennifer
	A. Ridder, and Pieter Nicolaas Ridder.

	Pieter Nicolaas is only 2 years old but he still votes.

	Signed
	The Terry L. Ridder Family

  | 									    |
  |UUCP:			/---!terry				    |
  |UUCP:         /--- !neurad--<             /---!wiretap!{root, tlr}	    |
  |UUCP: seismo-<               >---!bilbo--<            		    |
  |UUCP:         \--- !umcp-cs-<     	     \---!{root, tlr}		    |
  | 			        \---!tlr				    |
  | 									    |
  |ARPA: tlr@maryland							    |
  | 									    |
  |U.S.SNAIL: Terry L. Ridder, 401 Cherry Lane E301, Laurel, Maryland 20707 |
  |									    |
  |Ma Bell: Home: 301-490-2248 Work: 301-859-6271 Work: 301-859-6642	    |
  |									    |

brad@gcc-milo.ARPA (Brad Parker) (10/26/85)

In article <1957@umcp-cs.UUCP> tlr@umcp-cs.UUCP (Terry L. Ridder) writes:
>	The above comments are the opinions of my family and myself.
>	Terry L. Ridder, Deborah G. Ridder, Sarah L. Ridder, Jennifer
>	A. Ridder, and Pieter Nicolaas Ridder.
>
>	Pieter Nicolaas is only 2 years old but he still votes.
>
>	Signed
>	The Terry L. Ridder Family

Ahh, Terry - Is this really necessary to further your argument?
(I'm having trouble understanding why you brought you 2 year old into it)

--

J Bradford Parker
seismo!harvard!gcc-bill!brad

"Syntactic sugar causes cancer of the semicolon." - Alan Perlis

jhs@druhi.UUCP (ShoreJ) (10/26/85)

In article <> larry@kitty.UUCP (Larry Lippman) writes

to which Tracey McInvale  <825@nmtvax.UUCP> replys:

>Sounds to me like you're confusing "chutzpah" with "assholery." It takes about
>as much guts to post your resume to the Net as it does to send the same to a
>company you'd like to work for. The latter doesn't muck up a public network
>(unless you want to be totally obnoxious and consider US Mail a Network)....
>And I'm sorry if you are having to stoop to the net to find prospective
>employees.... -- Tracy A. McInvale

Hey, McInvale: Lighten up! If you want to flame, send it directly to the target
of your self-righteous wrath. If you still feel a burning need to share your
views, post a responsible and far more polite response, and don't "muck up" the
Net (public or not) with obnoxious replies.

[Apologies for *my* posting: I DID try a direct reply--to follow my own
advice--but I kept getting bum return codes. I'll take the heat on this one.
Just keep the "r" flames brief: I've already done the mea culpa routine. Thanx.]

--Jeff Shore @ ..!ihnp4!druhi!jhs